If GSU pulls this off - how effect GT 5-10 years

Techster

Helluva Engineer
KSU is good school doing very good things. Absorbing Southern Poly is one of them. I think KSU will be in good position to take over GA Southern's place as the best football in the state (and maybe the nation) not playing FBS football.

GA State is one of Georgia's four research universities and is an integral part of the state's education system. If they could ever get their crap together in athletics, they would be a prime expansion target for a league like the Big 10 or Big 12 since it's in a major media market.

Both schools are targeting different kinds of students and demographics. Both are good schools.

As far as resources and reach, State is on a higher level. That's not a dig on KSU...that's just the reality.

thwgjacket

If we're talking an eventual threat to Georgia Tech football then it's Georgia Southern. I'm not talking anytime soon but the amount of students they have is already basically the same as Georgia Tech. Statesboro is still really small but it's growing and Savannah is right down the road. It's also a majority female school that's really easy to get admitted to. They have a great football history and they just built a new stadium with supposed plans to make it even bigger in the future. Their students voted to pay extra money out of their pockets to go to Division 1 and build a new stadium so the school, student body, alumni and leadership there are heavily involved and seem to want to make moves. With the way college football is these days would it really shock anyone if Georgia Southern was one of the next competitive "mid-major" schools in College Football? In ten years? It really wouldn't shock me. I would probably buy that stock to be honest.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
GSU and Carter development want the Ted!

http://www.ajc.com/s/sports/gsu-panthers/

State can pull this off. There are many examples of successful and thriving developments that have gone into areas equally bad, if not worse in the greater ATL area all thanks to risk taking developers and the hipsters that have moved to the area. For instance Glenwood just east of the Ted. Castleberry Hill, katty-corner from the Ted, was developed in a very, very bad neighborhood but is thriving. It may be the better example of what could happen at the Ted. Next, go north of the Ted to the Old Fourth Ward area around the hospital. Bad, bad area of town and developers have gone in there, which also happens to be the current southern end of the east Beltline. The development around the Beltline in the Old Fourth Ward is a huge success story.

The next time any of you are in town for a game or whatever, you need to go find the Beltline in the old Fourth Ward. You'll be impressed by the activity and commerce going on there. Incidentally, the Beltline is an award winning development and was conceived by a GT Civil Engineer and many GT CE's are working on completing the Beltline around Atlanta.

I'm confident the right development can be successful at the Ted with it as the centerpiece. Many examples around ATL lately that show it can happen.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If we're talking an eventual threat to Georgia Tech football then it's Georgia Southern. I'm not talking anytime soon but the amount of students they have is already basically the same as Georgia Tech. Statesboro is still really small but it's growing and Savannah is right down the road. It's also a majority female school that's really easy to get admitted to. They have a great football history and they just built a new stadium with supposed plans to make it even bigger in the future. Their students voted to pay extra money out of their pockets to go to Division 1 and build a new stadium so the school, student body, alumni and leadership there are heavily involved and seem to want to make moves. With the way college football is these days would it really shock anyone if Georgia Southern was one of the next competitive "mid-major" schools in College Football? In ten years? It really wouldn't shock me. I would probably buy that stock to be honest.
+1 Many Southern fans are also Dawg fans. It would be nice if they could beat the pups like they beat UF and we would follow suit for the next two decades. One can only dream.