If Collins is new HC, how many games in before...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
It was just last Tuesday that a font reposted in this almost 5 year old thread to continue tarring and feathering the previous coach. I'm thinking some people might never be able to let this go...
I'm not sure what you mean by "font" but I literally just answered the question the OP started the thread with.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Reassessment by a writer formerly optimistic about the hire. Current assessment more accurate.

That write up of Collins' tenure is laughable. He apparently suffered from the transition from Paul Johnson's offense and the difficulty in recruiting at Tech. Nothing on how horrible of a coach he was and that he was basically a laughingstock from day 1. Geez, that is the softest review of Collins' tenure ever. :oops::rolleyes:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That write up of Collins' tenure is laughable. He apparently suffered from the transition from Paul Johnson's offense and the difficulty in recruiting at Tech. Nothing on how horrible of a coach he was and that he was basically a laughingstock from day 1. Geez, that is the softest review of Collins' tenure ever. :oops::rolleyes:
Well, the guy admitted he really liked the hire at the time, giving the hire a B+ , and that it was actually an F hire when all was said and done. Hard to admit when you are that wrong. He offered snark “accomplishment was setting sideline weight lifting records” but also suggested that Collins built up Temple, a false narrative that has been disproven on this site many times.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. And it never mentions that "recruiting for the ACC"was not something Paul found it too hard to do. The problem = recruiting for the ACC while running an offense like everyone else. Sure enough, that caused problems with our scoring. (The D was not much better either, despite all that "master of mayhem" stuff.) It remains to be seen if that was dues to TFG's many, many failings or due to the original decision itself. (Admittedly, Paul took that out of our hands.) We'll see this year.

I'm looking forward to that and I hope Key has a solution.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's the mystery of it all to me - how a former DC with a solid track record could put such horrid defenses on the field.
And Thacker's success since his departure is a strong indication that he was the one holding the defense back.
If I had to guess - I don't but WTH - I'd bet that it was the decision to not knock during the week. Now, if you are Bobby Dodd and had a lineup absolutely packed with what would now be 4 and 5 star players, you could afford to limit full contact in practice and have volleyball games the day before Saturday games. But … we weren't and it sure showed in how lacking in sheer grit our D had under TFG. It helped that Dodd recruited some of the meanest players who ever wore a Tech uniform. When you have someone like Giles Smith - who's idea of a tun evening was to go over to the Varsity and pick a fight - on the team, no need to fire people up. (Btw, I got the Smith story from the former trainer on one of Dodd's teams. The other players liked to go over with Smith and watch what happened next.)

Bostongt

Georgia Tech Fan
If I had to guess - I don't but WTH - I'd bet that it was the decision to not knock during the week. Now, if you are Bobby Dodd and had a lineup absolutely packed with what would now be 4 and 5 star players, you could afford to limit full contact in practice and have volleyball games the day before Saturday games. But … we weren't and it sure showed in how lacking in sheer grit our D had under TFG. It helped that Dodd recruited some of the meanest players who ever wore a Tech uniform. When you have someone like Giles Smith - who's idea of a tun evening was to go over to the Varsity and pick a fight - on the team, no need to fire people up. (Btw, I got the Smith story from the former trainer on one of Dodd's teams. The other players liked to go over with Smith and watch what happened next.)
Even though this is the offense.. sums up the team overall...

"Yates also shared an exchange he had with Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter.

“He, like, said the strangest thing to me. He looked at me and was like, 'Y'all are so unprepared.' I was like, 'Y'all are so unprepared?,’” Yates said. “All the things he could've said at this point in the game — it was like 45-0 — he's like, 'Y'all are so unprepared.' I was like, 'What do you mean?' He's like, 'Y'all just don't know what's, like, going on.' I was like, 'Yeah, we don't.'”