Ideal Football Opponents

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Prompt stolen from r/CFB. If all conferences were abolished tomorrow, who would you want Tech to play? For me, our annual opponents would be:

Georgia
Clemson
Auburn
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
FSU/Miami
Tennessee/SCar/Vandy/Florida/Bama
Virginia/NC State/Wake Forest
Comparable Midwest/Northeast P5
Comparable Southwest/West Coast P5
Georgia St/Georgia So/Kennesaw St

Play our 5 most-played opponents annually, plus the Techmo Bowl which is always gangbusters. FSU & Miami games always are a little testy, only one of them per year seems appropriate. Then we rotate through all the other SEC schools that are easy drives from Atlanta, plus the rest of the OG ACC (minus Maryland). Finally, 2 random P5 opponents that are near our level to keep things interesting (Purdue, Cal, Texas Tech, Northwestern, etc.) and keep the Group of 5 matchup in-state. Other than the SOS probably being insane, what’s not to love?!

Who would you pick?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Prompt stolen from r/CFB. If all conferences were abolished tomorrow, who would you want Tech to play? For me, our annual opponents would be:

Georgia
Clemson
Auburn
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
FSU/Miami

Play our 5 most-played opponents annually, plus the Techmo Bowl which is always gangbusters. FSU & Miami games always are a little testy, only one of them per year seems appropriate. Then we rotate through all the other SEC schools that are easy drives from Atlanta, plus the rest of the OG ACC (minus Maryland). Finally, 2 random P5 opponents that are near our level to keep things interesting (Purdue, Cal, Texas Tech, Northwestern, etc.) and keep the Group of 5 matchup in-state. Other than the SOS probably being insane, what’s not to love?!

Who would you pick?
Pretty good list. Win 8-9 with that schedule, and we are a darn good team.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm a cityhead so I'd love to play more games against nerd schools like Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. I didn't attend any away games in college but am jealous of those of you who tripped out to Tulane in 2014 for the opening of Yulman Stadium - must have been a hell of a weekend complete with a Yellow Jacket win!

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm a cityhead so I'd love to play more games against nerd schools like Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. I didn't attend any away games in college but am jealous of those of you who tripped out to Tulane in 2014 for the opening of Yulman Stadium - must have been a hell of a weekend complete with a Yellow Jacket win!
Good call. Tulane is another team I’d love to see us play with some regularity, both for the history and Nola. Maybe once every 4 years or so

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I was there and that WAS a fun weekend. But then, I have a second home about 45 minutes from Tulane....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, f#$K uga, Cal (1929), USCw, ND, a Georgia G5 team, Michigan St. (pay back for 50's), Colorado (5th down payback), Nebraska (because who doesn't like to remember 45-21). UNC (because they always suck against us), and Stanford (because who doesn't want to beat our alter-ego?). 🥃

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck

Georgia
Clemson
Auburn
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
FSU/Miami

Who would you pick?
Forgot ND

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

One of my absolute favorite trips ever. I wish we played Tulane regularly. That was a really fun weekend. Good game too, was closer than the final score, but GT had it well in hand by the end.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
One of my absolute favorite trips ever. I wish we played Tulane regularly. That was a really fun weekend. Good game too, was closer than the final score, but GT had it well in hand by the end.
Tulane was a regular opponent up until we joined the ACC. Always a tough game back in those days. They played in the old Sugar Bowl and then the Superdome. Cool places.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Georgia
Clemson
Auburn
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
FSU/Miami

Who would you pick?
Whatever would be the easiest to get into the playoffs.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Georgia State should be a home game every other year for the build of an Atlanta rivalry. No away games though I don’t want to watch football in turner field.

Tulane would be cool

I wish we had one ACC game that was every year in a certain spot similar to Georgia vs Florida in Jacksonville since the 1930’s.
Thinking teams and locations, the one that would be the most fun and make the most sense is playing Louisville in Nashville in the titans stadium. This would be such a weekend to plan around and cool tradition of Tech cars traveling north together on Friday after work.
Batt if you’re reading this- PRETTY PLEASE

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia
Clemson
Auburn
Duke
UNC
Florida St
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Tulane
Purdue (yellow team nerd bowl)
Kennesaw St

Enough top teams to make a playoff case, restarted and kept some major rivalries, but still kept a lot of likely wins.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UNC. The tarheels are the ideal opponent. All hype from brand, recruiting stars at skill positions, and racking up wins against directional Carolina schools. But pillowy soft in the trenches and a relatively consistent W. Wish we could schedule them twice.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
From the ACC
Clemson
Duke
UNC
FSU
VT/UVA alternating

From the SEC
Georgia
Auburn
Tennessee

Filling out the schedule
Rotating SEC/ACC (Tulane/Vandy/Bama/USCe/Ole Miss/Miami/NCState/Wake)
ND
Rotating service academy
Rotating G5 from the southeast