I found this quote from CPJ interesting

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That sure seem to speak well of Devine, O'Reilly, Brigham and Joe. As well as the incoming freshmen. I'm like you, Eric, that's an interesting quote from CPJ.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Very interesting. But didn't he also say at the beginnning of last year that last year's line was the most talented yet?

Indeed he did. I remember that distinctly. But he has to be a salesman for the program and drum up excitement.

We can't point fingers at him for being a sour-faced coach who brings no excitement and then turn around and criticize him for trying to get people excited.

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ is a coach that is a master of what he says in the press. At some points, he is extremely honest and open, at others he is very adept at coachspeak and you can read the true intentions between the lines.

I think this is his attempt to give a young, talented group some confidence and a way of saying the 3rd stringers have just as much of a chance of starting as the presumed starters.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To add a little bit of color...

He said the most depth described as the expected number of OL athletes on the team. I truly believe he is a show you/show me guy in what he does and what he expects. Last year was the most experienced. That means nothing more than they have years in the position. The most depth means nothing more than a full compliment in number. CPJ is not going to say he has a OL that is going to win all 12 games next year. He would rather win all 12 games and let that speak for itself.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To add a little bit of color...

He said the most depth described as the expected number of OL athletes on the team. I truly believe he is a show you/show me guy in what he does and what he expects. Last year was the most experienced. That means nothing more than they have years in the position. The most depth means nothing more than a full compliment in number. CPJ is not going to say he has a OL that is going to win all 12 games next year. He would rather win all 12 games and let that speak for itself.
I think you are right about CPJ. Likewise, if he were to win all 12 games next year he would not be one to say, "Well, this is what we have been working on and I knew all along if people were patient and we could get the right people in place this was the kind of season that was possible." Rather, he would say something like, "Sometimes all the pieces come together, you don't have injuries and a few guys play beyond expectation and we were fortunate that that all happened and I give these guys total credit for a great season."

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he said that because for the 1st time we have a solid 2 deep at all OL positions now. We don't have a makeshift line anymore where we keep moving pieces around because of lack of depth. Now that might change if someone gets hurt but as of now we have 4 OT, 4 OG, 2 C that all could play meaningful minutes.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is an interesting quote. Hopefully true.

But, in year 7, should we not expect to have the most deep & talented OL he has fielded?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, it is an interesting quote. Hopefully true.

But, in year 7, should we not expect to have the most deep & talented OL he has fielded?

I agree to an extent. However, It seems that Developing depth is a harder task than you would think it would be. Guys get hurt, transfer out, move to another position, graduate or goto the NFL after either 3, 4, or 5 years, or just don't pan out. consequently it's a never ending juggling act to recruit the right number of players each year so that each position has the right amount of depth.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hope it translates to me never feeling that our OL is out of gas at the end of a game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree to an extent. However, It seems that Developing depth is a harder task than you would think it would be. Guys get hurt, transfer out, move to another position, graduate or goto the NFL after either 3, 4, or 5 years, or just don't pan out. consequently it's a never ending juggling act to recruit the right number of players each year so that each position has the right amount of depth.
On top of that, we don't oversign or wash out under performing players like the factories. I think Bama cycles through twice as many players as we do over a 5 yr period. Think about that for a minute.

On top of that, we don't oversign or wash out under performing players like the factories. I think Bama cycles through twice as many players as we do over a 5 yr period. Think about that for a minute.

Thought about for a minute. Now what? It seems that the more players you cycle through, the harder it would be to build a cohesive unit up front. I always hear about how important having those front five on the same page is. For about three years now, the preseason hoopla has been around the emergence of the offensive line. Then something has succeeded to derail things and a patchwork line is what we play with. I will always agree that having more (and better) athletes is preferable, but eventually it comes down to having five really good and durable players. Maybe this year is the year for that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thought about for a minute. Now what? It seems that the more players you cycle through, the harder it would be to build a cohesive unit up front. I always hear about how important having those front five on the same page is. For about three years now, the preseason hoopla has been around the emergence of the offensive line. Then something has succeeded to derail things and a patchwork line is what we play with. I will always agree that having more (and better) athletes is preferable, but eventually it comes down to having five really good and durable players. Maybe this year is the year for that.
Yeah, I was referring to the team as a whole. The funny thing is they have every right under the current rules to publicly cut players after one year - the actual duration of the scholly. They, and nobody, wants to admit to doing that. But that's essentially what they are doing.

There's no argument that eliminating your "misses" and producing more chances for "hits" is preferable to absorbing your misses for 4+ years.

Yeah, I was referring to the team as a whole. The funny thing is they have every right under the current rules to publicly cut players after one year - the actual duration of the scholly. They, and nobody, wants to admit to doing that. But that's essentially what they are doing.

There's no argument that eliminating your "misses" and producing more chances for "hits" is preferable to absorbing your misses for 4+ years.
What if we changed policy and cut a few players at the end of the first year. How would that help us? I would not even know which four or five to cut. And if they were identifiable, you would be risking cutting a player that might blossom later just to give a scholarship to an untried high school prospect. Seems dicey.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What if we changed policy and cut a few players at the end of the first year. How would that help us? I would not even know which four or five to cut. And if they were identifiable, you would be risking cutting a player that might blossom later just to give a scholarship to an untried high school prospect. Seems dicey.
We tend to take more projects than Bama, so giving them time to develop makes sense. Bama fills it's classes with 4 and 5 stars, it's less risky and more rewarding for them to have higher turn over.