I am still not sold on CPJ but.........

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a huge win for him and our program. Beating one of the big four really sets us up for a potential nine win season. And that is a goal that I did not think was realistically attainable at the beginning of the season.

JT is an absolute freak. IMHO, he was clearly the best athlete on the field today. He has the ability to make big plays at the right time. If he stays healthy, if he takes care of the ball, if he continues to get defensive performances like today, and if the O-line can shore up its pass blocking, he can carry this team to a special season! I know those are a lot of if's, but I think it can be done. I am drinking the koolaid today!

There are still many concerning things about this team. JT's completion percentage is below 50% for the year. JT was running for his life on far too many plays today. Our lack of depth on the D-line is scary. Keshun Freeman is athletic and a playmaker, but I swear he looks more like a big WR than he does a DE. Our open field tackling is still horrible at best (we really miss Jemea).

But as I look ahead, I really can't see a game where we won't be competitive (on paper) except for ugag. Duke, Miami, and Clemson will be tough to beat. Pitt and UVA may give us some trouble. But UNC and NC State should easily be winnable if we play our game.

I have made no secret of my dislike of CPJ, but let me state that if CPJ can take this team to nine wins, I will firmly be in his corner!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Great post to start the discussion, but this needs to wait until Monday. We've got two weeks to hyperanalyze the game and what it means. Enjoy this victory for what it is, a damn good victory.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a huge win for him and our program. Beating one of the big four really sets us up for a potential nine win season. And that is a goal that I did not think was realistically attainable at the beginning of the season.

JT is an absolute freak. IMHO, he was clearly the best athlete on the field today. He has the ability to make big plays at the right time. If he stays healthy, if he takes care of the ball, if he continues to get defensive performances like today, and if the O-line can shore up its pass blocking, he can carry this team to a special season! I know those are a lot of if's, but I think it can be done. I am drinking the koolaid today!

There are still many concerning things about this team. JT's completion percentage is below 50% for the year. JT was running for his life on far too many plays today. Our lack of depth on the D-line is scary. Keshun Freeman is athletic and a playmaker, but I swear he looks more like a big WR than he does a DE. Our open field tackling is still horrible at best (we really miss Jemea).

But as I look ahead, I really can't see a game where we won't be competitive (on paper) except for ugag. Duke, Miami, and Clemson will be tough to beat. Pitt and UVA may give us some trouble. But UNC and NC State should easily be winnable if we play our game.

I have made no secret of my dislike of CPJ, but let me state that if CPJ can take this team to nine wins, I will firmly be in his corner!
Well said, and I agree 100%.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ won 9 games his first year here and 11 games his second year; do those not count???o_O

Yes they do. But coaches that make 2.5 million a year do not have the luxury of pointing out what they did five seasons ago.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but any employee that has seen a dip in performance over a four year span cannot reasonably expect people to be forever grateful for past performances.

But I have come to praise CPJ, not to bury him. There has been so much offseason turmoil that a nine win season this year would be a MUCH better coaching job (IMHO) than what he accomplished in 2008 and 2009.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
All along, its just been a matter of getting the right person behind the Center.

This offense, unlike most, can't survive with a QB that just manages the game. It has to have a tough nosed, strong willed, you-can't-beat-me competitor, with skills. Tevin had the heart and will; Justin has the heart, will, and skills. As long as JT is able to stay healthy, it's good for the team, CPJ, and the faithful.

thwgjacket

Well they just but Tulane like they stole something from them. I know we can't compare scores and make any real judgments on how the game will shake out between us, but Duke is looking to be at least equal to us on paper.
Good news is they ran all over Duke. I'll admit I missed the game prediction horribly. But I watched some of it and it was much more Tulane giving the ball to Duke with 5 turnovers, including 2 pick 6's, than Duke beating the hell out of them like the score indicates.

Declinometer

Banned

No one cares what you're sold on sport.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@00Burdell If we had a better D coordinator (our players were just fine) 2010, 2011, and 2012 would have been different. Last year our D was better, but the O dropped off due to several factors including injuries and health of the players.

This year I cannot say TW gives us 4 wins, but I refuse to say he could not have given us 4 wins. TW had us winning with 57 seconds left with VT in 2012.

Defense can win games if the O puts some points on the board.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Believe UNC will be tougher for us than duke.