I absolutely love this!!!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
So, we'll see UNCW, then uga, then Army? Do we have enough pitching to go 3+1 games? If not, do we go 1, 3, 2, 1 with our starters? What would that make the SuperRegion look like?
It’s a double elim tourney. We play UNCW and then the winner of 1 vs 4 if we win. If we were to win that one we could close it out in 3. If we get in The losers bracket it can take up to 5 games to come thru and win. Worrying about the supers at this point is a fools game, imho

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s a double elim tourney. We play UNCW and then the winner of 1 vs 4 if we win. If we were to win that one we could close it out in 3. If we get in The losers bracket it can take up to 5 games to come thru and win. Worrying about the supers at this point is a fools game, imho
I was thinking pool play not 2-elimination. Still, there are strategies depending...and I'd never strategize for the SR.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The big question is who are our number 1,2 &3 starters right now. Finateri has not pitched well his last few outings. When I think about how he fared against the last few good hitting teams we played I'm not sure I want him going against the Dwags. So maybe we do pitch him against UNCW. I actually like Jones against UGA more than Finateri. But who knows? CDH has a habit of pulling out his best bullpen arm to start in regionals so maybe we see that. In any case we are still playing baseball and that is great.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
...... we are still playing baseball and that is great.
This. Keep fighting....

Angry Bob Barker GIF

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The big question is who are our number 1,2 &3 starters right now. Finateri has not pitched well his last few outings. When I think about how he fared against the last few good hitting teams we played I'm not sure I want him going against the Dwags. So maybe we do pitch him against UNCW. I actually like Jones against UGA more than Finateri. But who knows? CDH has a habit of pulling out his best bullpen arm to start in regionals so maybe we see that. In any case we are still playing baseball and that is great.

We don't have any quality starters. We have the worst ERA in ACC play. Cam is the best we have right now. The best we can do is let Cam start against uGa and have staff days for the rest.

I'd start Cam against uGa, he's been our steadiest pitcher. If we play a DH due to weather, I wouldn't recommend he play both games and pitch the second. But that's just common sense.
1716897102842.png

Finateri should not start against uGa. If he does "start" it should be a planned staff day against Army or maybe UNCW. Look at the ERA rise through the season. Getting worse even considering the opposition IMHO.
1716896999703.png

McKee has not been doing well since NC State, but has done well as a true Fr. Another staff day.
1716897243500.png

I looked at other like Ben King or Cam Hill and they are good for once through the lineup. If you want them to "start" on a staff day, fine.

*And this is the ACC only pitching stats:
1716897887963.png

Attachments

• 1716897496418.png
    1716897496418.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 8

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We don't have any quality starters. We have the worst ERA in ACC play. Cam is the best we have right now. The best we can do is let Cam start against uGa and have staff days for the rest.

I'd start Cam against uGa, he's been our steadiest pitcher. If we play a DH due to weather, I wouldn't recommend he play both games and pitch the second. But that's just common sense.
View attachment 16209

Finateri should not start against uGa. If he does "start" it should be a planned staff day against Army or maybe UNCW. Look at the ERA rise through the season. Getting worse even considering the opposition IMHO.
View attachment 16208

McKee has not been doing well since NC State, but has done well as a true Fr. Another staff day.
View attachment 16210

I looked at other like Ben King or Cam Hill and they are good for once through the lineup. If you want them to "start" on a staff day, fine.

*And this is the ACC only pitching stats:
View attachment 16212
Maybe our freshman (or sophomores or juniors) will make the “quantum leap” this week, lol.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was (pleasantly) surprised we got a bid. I still think our pitching dooms us. I don't know that it matters a whole lot who starts which game for us, but it is a fun topic to speculate on, I'll admit.

We need to :
  1. get lucky
  2. have a couple of pitchers throw above grade this coming weekend
  3. oK, maybe have more than a couple of pitchers step up their game
  4. HIT HIT HIT
That's the only path to survive and move on that I see.

Personally, I just hope we win the opener, as I fear another 2 and done performance like we saw in the ACC Tournament, and lower seeds usually do have 1 or 2 pitchers who are really good.

Didn't Ole Miss have a season like ours in 2022 and win the whole thing after being the last team chosen for a bid? They were 14-16 in the SEC that year, but were on a (small) roll at the end of the season (they went 7-2 in their last 3 SEC series) despite getting knock out of the SEC Tournament losing their first (and only) game. Their pitching ERA was only 5.65, good for 9th in the 14 team SEC. They only hit 0.265 in the regular season. They were 31-22 on Selection Monday. Yet they won 10 of their 11 NCAA games allowing only 25 runs in that span. Pitching, pitching, pitching.......it's ALWAYS about the pitching, folks.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was (pleasantly) surprised we got a bid. I still think our pitching dooms us. I don't know that it matters a whole lot who starts which game for us, but it is a fun topic to speculate on, I'll admit.

We need to :
  1. get lucky
  2. have a couple of pitchers throw above grade this coming weekend
  3. oK, maybe have more than a couple of pitchers step up their game
  4. HIT HIT HIT
That's the only path to survive and move on that I see.

Personally, I just hope we win the opener, as I fear another 2 and done performance like we saw in the ACC Tournament, and lower seeds usually do have 1 or 2 pitchers who are really good.

Pitching, pitching, pitching.......it's ALWAYS about the pitching, folks.
^^^^^
This!

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
As said above, we don't have an ace and whoever starts any of the games, you're hoping just to get through the lineup twice with minimal damage done.

However, the one point I would think about with Friday is this. If you get to a Monday game where it's all hands on deck, who would most likely able to bounce back on 2 days rest and pitch on Monday. To me, that would be Jones as he has moved around and pitched out of the pen some this year. Finateri has been consistently starting with a week's rest between games and doesn't seem as likely to be able to come back in 2 days and give you 2-3 quality innings you might need to win the regional.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Foley is deep to the left side of the field, but extremely hitter friendly to right. Depending on wind/weather, there could be some huge offensive numbers put up this weekend. Hopefully we’re on the positive end of those.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As said above, we don't have an ace and whoever starts any of the games, you're hoping just to get through the lineup twice with minimal damage done.

However, the one point I would think about with Friday is this. If you get to a Monday game where it's all hands on deck, who would most likely able to bounce back on 2 days rest and pitch on Monday. To me, that would be Jones as he has moved around and pitched out of the pen some this year. Finateri has been consistently starting with a week's rest between games and doesn't seem as likely to be able to come back in 2 days and give you 2-3 quality innings you might need to win the regional.
Gotta win Game #1, then worry about the next game.. I don’t think you plan a Regional the way you described it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gotta win Game #1, then worry about the next game.. I don’t think you plan a Regional the way you described it.

That is what we usually try to do. Win the first.

Great thing is that we just *should* have staff days and lessens the pressure on the "starter". I think if we score over 15 we have a pretty good chance to win.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We aren't cute enough to be cute. You start the guy in Game1 that you feel gives you best shot of winning it.

We truly have no ace. Spinning it as positively as possible... allows you to really look at matchups. Perhaps UNCW's lineup has tendencies that could be exploited by a strength of one of our potential starters.