Hypothetical Backfield

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I was watching a clip of DeAnthony Thomas and was thinking, "Man! This guy would be the perfect A-back!". Well, his running ability not so much his blocking. Don't know if he even knows how to block.

At any rate, this got me thinking, who are the all-time greats that you would like to see line up in the Paul Johnson offensive backfield? Or who in college football/NFL today would you like to see in the backfield at the A and B back position?

All-Time players: A- backs: Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers (sp?), B-Back: Earl Campbell/Emmitt Smith

Current NFL players: A-backs: Jamaal Charles, CJ Spiller B-Back: Adrian Peterson

Current college players: A-backs: DeAnthony Thomas, Lache Seastrunk B-Back: Todd Gurley

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya...... Wouldn't you want a tough hard-nosed runner with some speed like Gurley at the B-back position?

Also, sorry for putting it in the "GT Football" section. My intention was to put this in the "Swarm Lounge" section since its really not about GT football per se.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
All joking aside SoCal, Gurly is a great back and would be coveted for any program. I have to agree DeAnthony Thomas would flourish at a-back imo.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I expressed this view in a thread that went nowhere but I am enjoying the extent to which the offensive system we run is flexible enough to adapt to the strengths and abilities of the talent and can raise some players above themselves.

Any offense allows for high-level talents to be shown off (assuming blocking is executed well). But when I see stat sheets that show a wide distribution of the yards and TDs as well as can see things like a Snoddy being placed in a position to succeed with his gifts (the diamond), it strikes me as a great benefit of CPJ's system and experience.

I understand how amusing it is to dream about Barry Sanders playing in the offense, or pining for the "next Dwyer" or Bebe. But I like that this system helps me avoid becoming a caricature of a Dawg fan and their love of "Gurschel." It lets stars emerge, like Smelter may very well be doing.

As long as we can win the games (and that is really the key and so critical) then I am pleased as punch to watch a Godhigh or a Laskey get the yards just as I was when it was a Dwyer or Allen.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I would say Bey Bey emerged too. If we were like Dawg fans we would be pining for the next Megatron, not Bey Bey, right?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you were to pull solely from former GT, CJ on one side and DT on the other side. I'll take Dwyer at B and Jerry Mays and Charlie Rogers at A's. others would be good too, but these I've seen. I think Little Joe would have done well in this offense too.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
If you were to pull solely from former GT, CJ on one side and DT on the other side. I'll take Dwyer at B and Jerry Mays and Charlie Rogers at A's. others would be good too, but these I've seen. I think Little Joe would have done well in this offense too.
Hard to beat that. Ohhhhh Charlie was a good receiver too.