Hype and the GT fanbase

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry.....the floor is a .500 season.......if he really is a good coach, he will fit his game to the players he has. not the ones he wishes he had.

Like I said, I'll be satisfied with 6 wins. That's only 1 less win than the roster of the previous coach who had 11 years to fit the game to the players he has. If Collins can take CPJ's TO-based roster and win 6, it'll be a good sign that things are going in the right direction. Anything less, unless we have a CPJ-2015-type season, and it'll be a raised eyebrow. The Coastal should be wide open again.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, you're wrong. B*** L**** was cool and had everybody excited. Our most successful coaches - Dodd, Ross, O'Leary, Paul - have all been rather understated and concentrated on building the program. Indeed, I think if Ross had been available this time around and had been hired this board would be exploding about him being an old guy incapable of "relating to today's youth" and "dooming us to more mediocrity". That's what some people said at the time, after all.

Oth, I don't know enough about Coach - and, I might add, none of us do - to say if he is more substance then hype. However, I don't think TStan would have hired him if he wasn't sound on what needs to be done and sound on football fundamentals, especially on D. Further, I think most of what he told Roddy makes excellent sense. We'll have to see if that works the way people think it will, but I don't see any reason why we couldn't have that upper 30 recruiting class in 2019; all we should need is a 3- 4 more 4 star players. That's easily doable. Then it'll be matter of getting the performance we need on the field.
That was before the beauty contest that college football has now turned into.

Animal02

Banned
Like I said, I'll be satisfied with 6 wins. That's only 1 less win than the roster of the previous coach who had 11 years to fit the game to the players he has. If Collins can take CPJ's TO-based roster and win 6, it'll be a good sign that things are going in the right direction. Anything less, unless we have a CPJ-2015-type season, and it'll be a raised eyebrow. The Coastal should be wide open again.
Agree completely.....but several of the posters that have gone all in on the hype are setting the bar very low....saying 2 or more losing seasons is acceptable to get "his" recruits in......I say that is totally unacceptable barring any sort of 2015 injury disaster

slugboy

Staff member
Unfortunately, you're wrong. B*** L**** was cool and had everybody excited.

I was in grad school at Tech then. It must have been a parallel universe GT, because I don’t remember Lewis being cool, having anyone excited, or having his players even like him (after the first year, they told me “he’s a sneaky little ****”). When he was announced, people around me said “what, this is a joke, right?”

When we lost to FSU, there was huge disappointment (we should have won that game) and an even deeper feeling Lewis didn’t have “it” as a coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree with people saying "talk is cheap." Collins isn't just talking, he's doing his job. He's going out to media outlets and trying to build excitement around the team. For a program whose home attendance has gone down for three straight years (2018 was the lowest since 2001), he understands he needs to energize the fan base. Obviously we can't play games right now, so the next best thing is for CGC to reach out as much as he can and continually say that GT has unparalleled advantages. And frankly, it doesn't come off as fluff to me because he sounds like he sincerely believes everything he says. I don't understand why people want to discourage hyping up the program, there is literally no downside to people getting excited.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It really amazes me that being realistic has become "grumpy". Oh well - you guys that decided at some point in your life to make GT your team, you also inherited "grumps", because that is what engineers, at least a lot of them, tend to be. Of course, for us that you are calling "grumpy", we would call it realism. You are not going to change it, just like we can't change your unbridled enthusiasm (that can also turn into unbridled frustration and madness, if it does not go the way you expect). Either way, our team is the Jackets, and we can all agree, no matter our perspective, that we want our team to win and win a lot.

I don't agree with people saying "talk is cheap." Collins isn't just talking, he's doing his job. He's going out to media outlets and trying to build excitement around the team. For a program whose home attendance has gone down for three straight years (2018 was the lowest since 2001), he understands he needs to energize the fan base. Obviously we can't play games right now, so the next best thing is for CGC to reach out as much as he can and continually say that GT has unparalleled advantages. And frankly, it doesn't come off as fluff to me because he sounds like he sincerely believes everything he says. I don't understand why people want to discourage hyping up the program, there is literally no downside to people getting excited.
You probably won't believe this in light of the responses to some of my earlier posts, but I actually agree with you 100%. I don't have any problem with what Collins is doing; in fact, I think it is great and long-needed. My reservations are with those who seem to think that's a guarantee for success, which it obviously is not. But if he does all this and we don't produce results on the field IMMEDIATELY, some of those who are so caught up in the "hype" now will probably turn on him overnight. As several of us have said, myself included, hype or not, immediate results or not, we stand with Collins as our HC and we are pulling for him now and will continue to pull for and support him then. I LOVE the hype and the cool factor, and I DO think it will influence some recruits and hopefully lots of new fans, but we have to be realistic in understanding that it doesn't end with that, and some posts on here lead me to believe that for some it does just that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You probably won't believe this in light of the responses to some of my earlier posts, but I actually agree with you 100%. I don't have any problem with what Collins is doing; in fact, I think it is great and long-needed. My reservations are with those who seem to think that's a guarantee for success, which it obviously is not. But if he does all this and we don't produce results on the field IMMEDIATELY, some of those who are so caught up in the "hype" now will probably turn on him overnight. As several of us have said, myself included, hype or not, immediate results or not, we stand with Collins as our HC and we are pulling for him now and will continue to pull for and support him then. I LOVE the hype and the cool factor, and I DO think it will influence some recruits and hopefully lots of new fans, but we have to be realistic in understanding that it doesn't end with that, and some posts on here lead me to believe that for some it does just that.

SS - I think it is like my daughter a lot of times. She would say she is an "optimist", but she also will avoid anything she does not want to hear, even sometimes, if it is best for her to hear it. She calls anything that she doesn't want to hear "negative". She is a great daughter, and I love her so much. But, I do think a lot from her generation (she is 30) just want to stick their heads in the sand like an ostrich sometimes, if someone says something they do not want to hear about. Many of these people are progressives, although my daughter is not that. They have learned if they can "label" someone, maybe they can shut them up. Well, that won't happen with GT fans and alums. So, they might as well not try.

But again, I am so glad we have so many fans that are excited about the future, and I am too, but like you, SS, I have to temper that excitement with knowledge and facts.

Milwaukee

Banned
It really amazes me that being realistic has become "grumpy". Oh well - you guys that decided at some point in your life to make GT your team, you also inherited "grumps", because that is what engineers, at least a lot of them, tend to be. Of course, for us that you are calling "grumpy", we would call it realism. You are not going to change it, just like we can't change your unbridled enthusiasm (that can also turn into unbridled frustration and madness, if it does not go the way you expect). Either way, our team is the Jackets, and we can all agree, no matter our perspective, that we want our team to win and win a lot.

This is asinine. I know dozens of engineers that are nothing like you describe, it's not an "engineer" problem, I promise.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is asinine. I know dozens of engineers that are nothing like you describe, it's not an "engineer" problem, I promise.

Hey Milwaukee. I won't call you out as "asinine". I know a lot of engineers also (and of course I am one), and more than not tend to be "negative" more than what you would call optimists. It may be a generational thing. It is ok if we have different perspectives.

Why do you have to get personal and call people out? To say "I disagree" is one thing, but to use words like "asinine", I just don't see the point.

There are some other sites for posting like that. This has always been a respectful place.