Huntsville, AL

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I have family in Huntsville. It’s a hole.
Sorry you feel that way man. Nice place to live IMO. More smart people in one area than just about anywhere in the country per capita, with great jobs and a low cost of living. A really solid range of entertainment starting to be built too with the new minor league baseball and soccer teams. Pretty good hiking and outdoor activities. Not sure what you’re into though. If it’s professional sports or theater like NYC yeah you’re not getting that in Alabama. Liquor laws and sports gambling changes for the state would be nice at some point although that probably won’t ever happen, and I’d like some more golf courses, but otherwise I don’t know that I’d want to live anywhere else. Maybe Alpharetta just to be closer to all the Atlanta sports teams I follow, but I’m a southern man, so I have no interest in living outside the south.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't get why in 2022 metro ATL still doesn't want to expand Marta rail service to the exurbs. I too grew up in the ATL and I have also lived in Boston and DC. Both the Boston and DC areas have around the same number of people as the ATL, and they both have excellent and extensive rail systems. (I didn't even bring a car to Massachusetts.) The DMV was able to coordinate the Metro rail system across two states and District of Columbia. Today you can Metro from Greenbelt, MD to Dulles international Airport, ~40 miles by car

Bc folks in Cherokee, Coweta, Hall, & Barrow believe folks in Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton, &Gwinnett will take Marta to the greater Metro areas, steal their 65in TV and travel back on Marta with it to their respective destination

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bc folks in Cherokee, Coweta, Hall, & Barrow believe folks in Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton, &Gwinnett will take Marta to the greater Metro areas, steal their 65in TV and travel back on Marta with it to their respective destination

Bro, I was listening to a conversation in a high-end jewelry store on this very subject.

The lil' old lady said they didn't need MARTA in Alpharetta because that's how 'the criminals' are gonna steal all their stuff.

I'm like, Lady when's the last time you seen somebody at the bus stop with a ski mask on and a flat-screen under his arm? Sitting there thinking, "Man, the bus late again?!?"

Conversely, folks that need public transportation because they seek better wages, schools, etc. don't have it. Oh, but what am I thinking, 'they' don't wanna work. :rolleyes:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There is actually data to support this in a non-cheeky way.

I'm not sure it is still true, but the highest crime on Marta was always at the end stations. That's less true for North Springs because there is no walk up to it, but Chamblee was a war zone. Leakage (aka, theft) at Lenox was off the charts and increasing ... mostly high end clothing rather than TV's.

I was recently at Lexus and one of the county planners for Cherokee County was describing the rapid increases in property crime there. It is a real problem and not only that, when I lived there, the number of meth labs operating was in the dozens. So just know that when you drive by those 2-5 acre horse farms, there are also about 50 meth labs within 5 miles.

So, no. The counties that don't have Marta don't want it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bro, I was listening to a conversation in a high-end jewelry store on this very subject.

The lil' old lady said they didn't need MARTA in Alpharetta because that's how 'the criminals' are gonna steal all their stuff.

I'm like, Lady when's the last time you seen somebody at the bus stop with a ski mask on and a flat-screen under his arm? Sitting there thinking, "Man, the bus late again?!?"

Conversely, folks that need public transportation because they seek better wages, schools, etc. don't have it. Oh, but what am I thinking, 'they' don't wanna work. :rolleyes:
You can take Marta by bus from Mansell all the way to North Springs and link the train from there.

I owned a store at one time at Perimeter Mall. And yes, criminals did smash glass at a neighbor's jewelry store and steal all the display merchandise. It does happen.

What folks DON'T talk about is the rape in the women's restrooms. Does it happen? Yes. Does it get much press? No. (Bad for business.) Things were so bad at one mall I am familiar that they closed the mall. This is why you see retail shops like the Forum. You can enforce anti-loitering laws. You can't do that in a mall.

You would be shocked to get the actual crime data from a mall.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nm

These complaints aren’t entirely unfounded. I used to live in Dunwoody. A few blocks from the Perimeter Marta station. The parking lot next to it was a constant target for car break ins and theft - worst in the city. Now, it didn’t extend much past that parking lot, so you were always just careful there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are studies (at least 1 I read myself) that show that crime in suburban areas increase when public transportation (light rail) was extended into those areas. I don't remember where I read it (about 3 years ago), but it was a university-led study (Transportation Engineering) and may have included the DC area and Boston area. Can't remember the details. I can't provide a primary source, so take it for what it's worth. I was surprised because I always thought the way you described it in your post.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
S
It's a lot easier to fit a 75" TV on Marta than it is to fit it into my car, so they may have a point.
SO by the time MARTA would get to Doraville station in Dekalb county, it would be totally full of Gwinnett riders. Would need more trains.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
There is actually data to support this in a non-cheeky way.

I'm not sure it is still true, but the highest crime on Marta was always at the end stations. That's less true for North Springs because there is no walk up to it, but Chamblee was a war zone. Leakage (aka, theft) at Lenox was off the charts and increasing ... mostly high end clothing rather than TV's.

I was recently at Lexus and one of the county planners for Cherokee County was describing the rapid increases in property crime there. It is a real problem and not only that, when I lived there, the number of meth labs operating was in the dozens. So just know that when you drive by those 2-5 acre horse farms, there are also about 50 meth labs within 5 miles.

So, no. The counties that don't have Marta don't want it.
I don't quite follow the reasoning here; property crime in Cherokee county, which does not have Marta, is on the increase, so the counties that don't have Marta don't want it.

I believe that high ridership on the rail system is a source of safety and protection from crime, as criminals generally tend to want to conceal and commit their crimes out of the view of witnesses.

Meanwhile, Chevy Chase, MD and Reston VA demanded, and now each have, Metro stops, and both have far more wealth and are more posh and high-end than anything in the ATL counties that don't have Marta.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite follow the reasoning here; property crime in Cherokee county, which does not have Marta, is on the increase, so the counties that don't have Marta don't want it.

I believe that high ridership on the rail system is a source of safety and protection from crime, as criminals generally tend to want to conceal and commit their crimes out of the view of witnesses.

Meanwhile, Chevy Chase, MD and Reston VA demanded, and now each have, Metro stops, and both have far more wealth and are more posh and high-end than anything in the ATL counties that don't have Marta.
Arrests in Cherokee are almost all Atlanta residents. That’s why.

As to high ridership, I agree. But outside of rush hours, ridership on the North line isn’t high. I took Marta to the airport since 1986. Would I do it today after 9pm? No. I’d order a private limo or uber.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Arrests in Cherokee are almost all Atlanta residents. That’s why.

As to high ridership, I agree. But outside of rush hours, ridership on the North line isn’t high. I took Marta to the airport since 1986. Would I do it today after 9pm? No. I’d order a private limo or uber.
Ok, I see, but those arrested aren't taking Marta to Cherokee -- also this does seem to suggest that, like the Dukes of Hazzard, the people of Cherokee county don't like ATL residents. This is good to know as I was considering moving to Woodstock.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I see, but those arrested aren't taking Marta to Cherokee -- also this does seem to suggest that, like the Dukes of Hazzard, the people of Cherokee county don't like ATL residents. This is good to know as I was considering moving to Woodstock.
Dukes of Hazzard? Ok, put a question mark there.

Move there or don’t.