Hunter vs Hunted

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year GT was hungry and was the hunter. I've always loved GT as the underdog.

This year GT started off in the Top 25 and is the hunted. GT appears to suck when being hunted. I've always feared when GT is the favorite. I'm reminded again of why.

GT has not been able to put together good back to back seasons in football in 49 years, iirc.

The next time people talk in the preseason about how good GT could be, "Remember 2015" will become the rallying cry.
:(

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Last year GT was hungry and was the hunter. I've always loved GT as the underdog.

This year GT started off in the Top 25 and is the hunted. GT appears to suck when being hunted. I've always feared when GT is the favorite. I'm reminded again of why.

GT has not been able to put together good back to back seasons in football in 49 years, iirc.

The next time people talk in the preseason about how good GT could be, "Remember 2015" will become the rallying cry.
:(

You don't recall correctly. O'Leary had us in the final AP top 25 poll 5 years in a row from 97-01.

Since then we've had a good head coach who thought he was a brilliant OC, but he wasn't; and an great OC who thinks he is a brilliant head coach, but he isn't.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So the only goal that is really off the table is the CFP. We could still get things together and win the coastal and go to a New Years 6 Bowl...it doesn't look like we will right now, but we absolutely could.

One thing we have going for us right now is how well our defense is playing. I thought they kept us in each of the past two games when we could easily have gotten blown out if they had played like they have in the past few years. Turnovers aren't there, but they are stopping the opposing offense for the most part. If we get even a shred of the offense we've seen in the past then we could still be a very good football team. Gotta start next week with UNC though, because the schedule is going to get very difficult very quickly after that.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
We have very young skill players in our offense. They are very good but need to grow and learn the system better. We will be just fine. It's one thing to bring along one or two. It's totally different when you have to bring along six or seven at the same time. They are working hard and CPJ will get them there. Our coaches are great at coaching up players. We will be OK. I thought this year may have some growing pains along the way. Next year we will be almost unstoppable. The ones that were supposed to start got hurt and they will be back along with the ones playing now. I still think we can win the coastal this year and maybe the ACC. Blocking needs improve at every level including the OL. I was expecting more out of our offensive line than I've seen. They need to get better quick if we are going to compete.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When speaking about goals, I feel for any team to make the CFB playoff one of their goals is not realistic. For us, winning the coastal is a great goal. If we are lucky enough to be going to the ACCCG with a single loss, then it would be time to readjust the goals to include the playoff.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we'll be ok but it is indeed a different scenario being the hunter vs. hunted. As the old country saying goes, "huntin' ain't fun when the rabbit's got the gun."

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
When speaking about goals, I feel for any team to make the CFB playoff one of their goals is not realistic. For us, winning the coastal is a great goal. If we are lucky enough to be going to the ACCCG with a single loss, then it would be time to readjust the goals to include the playoff.

The Coastal is still achievable, but I hate that we have already chewed through most of our margin of error for getting there. Will keep an open mind going into the UNC game and see what happens.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the younger guys that have filled in for all the upper classmen that moved on feel like everything was going to carry over from last season. They let the hype get to them and forgot what it takes to keep that same level of play. I didn't play football in college but did play college hoops. My freshmen year we played for a juco national title. All the sophomores from that team moved on and the freshmen I came in with went into the next season thinking everyone was going to lay down for us. We got our asses handed to us the first 6-8 games of the year. Hype gets to young heads my coach always said.