How Transfer Portal and NIL has changed college recruiting

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least for now it has made HS recruiting much less important in college coaches eyes.
They basically expect any HS player they sign to eventually transfer.
There is some hope that once the COVID players exit (after this year) that the balance may change a little, but in general HS recruiting is being de-valued relative to portal recruiting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From my college professor wife:

In this transfer at will era, it seems to her that some colleges (GT is in this group) with very competitive admissions are gifting classroom time to some students who have no intent stay beyond the current semester in lieu of a paying student who intends to graduate. Given the recent SCOTUS decision, isn't this a problem?

Note: the run-on sentence is my fault, not hers.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Good article. Okay, so now the 4* prospects are not ready to impact in the college game as Freshmen, and they are not willing to accept that they will not be impact players in their Freshmen years, but why is that?

I think that is the meat of the issue right there. Freshmen transfer because of a mismatch between their expectations and reality. Why is there a mismatch between the expectations of these players and reality?

I think the pat answer is that recruiters try selling the kids the dream that they will be impact players and it is a false promise. But I don't think that is it.

Rather, there has been a seismic shift in Public School educational priorities in the last four decades that have now matured to fully nurture these children with a social reality of "inclusivity," which is hostile to the notions of open competition and unfettered meritocracy, presenting competition as being the exploitational construct of a ruling class hellbent on maintaining bigoted social hierarchies (The short-hand euphemism of this is that kids are no longer raised to expect equal opportunity but to be guaranteed an equal outcome).

Then these kids hit college and are slapped in the face with the naked open competition of college athletics and they perceive themselves being victimized by social injustice , which is how they have been taught to perceive open competition. So, they freak and transfer thinking it must be better anyplace else.

Some adapt, others fall out. That is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good article. Okay, so now the 4* prospects are not ready to impact in the college game as Freshmen, and they are not willing to accept that they will not be impact players in their Freshmen years, but why is that?

I think that is the meat of the issue right there. Freshmen transfer because of a mismatch between their expectations and reality. Why is there a mismatch between the expectations of these players and reality?

I think the pat answer is that recruiters try selling the kids the dream that they will be impact players and it is a false promise. But I don't think that is it.

Rather, there has been a seismic shift in Public School educational priorities in the last four decades that have now matured to fully nurture these children with a social reality of "inclusivity," which is hostile to the notions of open competition and unfettered meritocracy, presenting competition as being the exploitational construct of a ruling class hellbent on maintaining bigoted social hierarchies (The short-hand euphemism of this is that kids are no longer raised to expect equal opportunity but to be guaranteed an equal outcome).

Then these kids hit college and are slapped in the face with the naked open competition of college athletics and they perceive themselves being victimized by social injustice , which is how they have been taught to perceive open competition. So, they freak and transfer thinking it must be better anyplace else.

You’re over thinking it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think you get high level scholarship offers without being exposed to the nature of competition, and seeing how many of your HS teammates don’t get those same offers.

Just easier than ever for everyone else to whisper in your ear that the grass is greener elsewhere.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Wow, nice “get off my lawn” old man view of current students. Of course 40 years ago the grumpy old men likely held similar views.

How this plays out post Covid will be very interesting. High quality 22 year old players are generally better than similar quality 18 year olds.

If the article is accurate then GT has a better shot at very good HS players than we have since CPH was our coach.

Hopefully CDS will sign a couple of the very highly rated players who have shown interest. For GT getting them and then having some transfer out would be much better than not getting any.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least for now it has made HS recruiting much less important in college coaches eyes.
There is some hope that once the COVID players exit (after this year) that the balance may change a little, but in general HS recruiting is being de-valued relative to portal recruiting.

I think this is also true for football and baseball.

And it's hard to tell how much is from the extra COVID years increasing the average age of portal players available and the one free transfer.

I think the days in college sports where players were deeply loyal to the schools is dead; but it's been dead for most coaches going for the highest payout for a while.

So I don't blame the players doing what's best for them. And for the players with a shot at the pros and the golden ring, they think it's not in the classroom. I think for most players the classroom is the best backup plan since most will not make meaningful money in the pros.

But I'm just old and accepting the new reality; while appreciating the reality we had decades ago.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I think it mostly comes down to ego. The overwhelming majority of these guys were "the man" at their high schools and spent those high school years being told by everyone around them how great they were. Then they get to college and find out they weren't nearly as good as they thought they were or what those around them thought they were. Their egos can't take that so they transfer to someplace where they think they can be "the man" again.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I wish y’all youngsters knew what it was like in the 90s. Recruiting news was HARD to come by. I remember being on some kind of feed that told me that El-Amin committed to UConn and Tech signed Dion Glover. I was in an archaic computer in the back of my seventh grade class loving it and silently psyched.

My GT fanhood basically began with Marbury vs Manhattan on ESPN 2 on a back door alley-oop slam from Barry. Things were harder but somehow simpler. Mike Patrick called ACC games (Holy Cow!). Y’all are witnessing the death of college basketball and it’s sucks.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish y’all youngsters knew what it was like in the 90s. Recruiting news was HARD to come by. I remember being on some kind of feed that told me that El-Amin committed to UConn and Tech signed Dion Glover. I was in an archaic computer in the back of my seventh grade class loving it and silently psyched.

My GT fanhood basically began with Marbury vs Manhattan on ESPN 2 on a back door alley-oop slam from Barry. Things were harder but somehow simpler. Mike Patrick called ACC games (Holy Cow!). Y’all are witnessing the death of college basketball and it’s sucks.
LOL! I was in the front row of that game.