How to be an 8 win Team

Good grief. Not only no, but HELL NO to all of that garbage. We can compete by recruiting nationally and finding players who want what we have to offer. Our recruiting staff is miniscule. We're adding four but it's about fourteen short of what we need to add. Quit worrying about facilities, coaches, and all that and RECRUIT.

Just appealing to all those that want to win 8 games every year.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a point about playing a softer out of conference schedule that I haven't seen brought up. Everyone always complains that we never get to play much of our 2nd/3rd string because we're always in close games. The Alabama, Ohio State, ugas, of the worlds play 2-3 patsies spaced out throughout the year. This gives them a chance to tryout young players, recover for tougher games ahead, and build confidence. Yes it won't look as good as winning games against tougher teams, but we should be able to swing an extra home game, develop players, and keep them healthier.

As it stands in 2020 we have an awful schedule with UCF, Notre Dame, and Georgia on top of the normal ACC schedule. We get one easy game that year the first against Garner-Webb. Even if we have a good team that year we are going to be limping through the schedule by the end and a complete patchwork of depth. I predict that being a non bowl year or a 6-6 year no matter how you slice the team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Good grief. Not only no, but HELL NO to all of that garbage. We can compete by recruiting nationally and finding players who want what we have to offer. Our recruiting staff is miniscule. We're adding four but it's about fourteen short of what we need to add. Quit worrying about facilities, coaches, and all that and RECRUIT.
“Quit worrying about facilities, coaches, and all that and RECRUIT” those things are what helps you recruit.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
“Quit worrying about facilities, coaches, and all that and RECRUIT” those things are what helps you recruit.
Yes, they help, but what good are they if your recruiting staff is about one tenth of what you are recruiting against? And I would add that with our recruiting budget being so tiny, don't you think that has an affect on the quality of coach you can hire? Does the quality of recruits have any effect on how many games we can win and how many fans we have? And doesn't that have an effect on how many facilities we can build/improve? To ignore recruiting is to put the cart before the horse.

Yes, they help, but what good are they if your recruiting staff is about one tenth of what you are recruiting against?

You know, I wonder if in this century there is a better way to recruit. Can you have a virtual recruiting staff. Sounds crazy but it goes along the lines of recruiting consultants. Have remote people examining players from film etc. Then do an analysis of ability to succeed at Tech. Then have ex players at Tech go into the schools and talk with the coaches. Then you can have the coaches target better the potential players. Heck, I have time at nights here in Colorado and know a thing or two about football. I would do it for free.

If you have a need for 20 kids and you know what positions you need it can be rationalized down quite easily.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Clemson, VT, Miami, and UGA every year automatically gives us a tough schedule. I’m perfectly fine with playing lesser talent for 3 out of 4 conference games, that would be changing out USF for an easier game. Y’all want to play and compete against the big teams? well this is what they all do for the most part. If we get an uptick in recruiting I’d be fine with the USF’s though.

Biggest change I want to see is a continual upgrade in the little things to help the recruiting get better though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes, they help, but what good are they if your recruiting staff is about one tenth of what you are recruiting against? And I would add that with our recruiting budget being so tiny, don't you think that has an affect on the quality of coach you can hire? Does the quality of recruits have any effect on how many games we can win and how many fans we have? And doesn't that have an effect on how many facilities we can build/improve? To ignore recruiting is to put the cart before the horse.
I get this for sure, but I just don’t know if it would make a difference compared to the other things. I could see how it could though.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get this for sure, but I just don’t know if it would make a difference compared to the other things. I could see how it could though.

I don't see how it couldn't. We have sufficient facilities. What we are sorely lacking in is in our recruiting staff. We're adding four. We should be adding four times that many. It's worth a try, seems to me.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't believe I took the time to read that nonsense. Colorado, you are a good poster and you're better than this. I'm probably one of the youngest fans on this site(haven't graduated from high school yet), and believe me I would love to win more than anything. You've probably seen double the amount of GT football as years I've been alive. Yet for some reason, it seems like you're a little bit desperate here. Dropping ugag and clemson for the sake of "winning" is just downright dumb. We just beat ugag two years ago, and it hasn't been too long since we owned Clemson. Sure, parity in college football changes. In 2006, nobody expected that in ten years it would be Clemson and Alabama at the top of CFB. You know who was on top at that time? Texas and USC. Look at them now. Things change. GT can be a great program. There are huge steps that need to be taken to get us out of this rut and more competitive. But to be the best, you have to beat the best. Change at GT will not happen over night. It'll take some years, but if we have the right person at the reins, this horse will take us where we all want to go. We're not even too far off with the situation we're in right now. A good kicker and a better quarterback, and we're not even having this conversation right now. We would be undefeated and would have been better last season.

I can't believe I took the time to read that nonsense. Colorado, you are a good poster and you're better than this. I'm probably one of the youngest fans on this site(haven't graduated from high school yet), and believe me I would love to win more than anything. You've probably seen double the amount of GT football as years I've been alive. Yet for some reason, it seems like you're a little bit desperate here. Dropping ugag and clemson for the sake of "winning" is just downright dumb. We just beat ugag two years ago, and it hasn't been too long since we owned Clemson. Sure, parity in college football changes. In 2006, nobody expected that in ten years it would be Clemson and Alabama at the top of CFB. You know who was on top at that time? Texas and USC. Look at them now. Things change. GT can be a great program. There are huge steps that need to be taken to get us out of this rut and more competitive. But to be the best, you have to beat the best. Change at GT will not happen over night. It'll take some years, but if we have the right person at the reins, this horse will take us where we all want to go. We're not even too far off with the situation we're in right now. A good kicker and a better quarterback, and we're not even having this conversation right now. We would be undefeated and would have been better last season.

LOL...Jacketman, I wrote this for those who just look at wins and losses. I don't support a single thing I wrote. The last day has really made me laugh at all the doom and gloom. Am I disappointed about our 2 losses, sure, but if I can't handle that then I have no business being a Tech fan.

I think we ought to keep our schedule except add Auburn and Tenn. alternate them every year. And add Army and Navy and alternate them. I want good football. Not cupcakes.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

He's yankin the chain for fun.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Why do we play Clemson every year. The only other team with a schedule like ours is Florida State. When did Clemson become this rivalry?

Actually — and I know this is not your main point, but just a technicality — it’s been a rivalry for a long, long time. It started before 1900, and we’ve played each other more than 90 times. Back in the Coach Bobby Dodd days, we pretty much owned them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I will say Louisville and Miami aren’t nowhere near what I thought they would be. Virginia Tech and Duke are better than expected. The rest are all who we thought they were.