How 'Should' Tech Do in Recruiting Rank - Analysis

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Brain lapse: I was referring to the 2017 class. Which was incorrect. I had my years off. The 2017 was the class being recruited he arrived- no surprise it was terrible in short notice.

2018 was 82nd on 247, 76th on Rivals. That is a much better look. Still, not out of line with Temple's place in the world.

Not saying he is or isn't a great recruiter. But I can't find numbers that say: Oh here's evidence he raises recruiting by 'X' margin...
I'd say the 2nd best rated class in the AAC for 2019 is pretty good.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'd say the 2nd best rated class in the AAC for 2019 is pretty good.
I agree, He was getting things lines up. The 2019 class is really solid for Temple. I don't think you expect any better than 5-60 at very best at Temple. After Rhule left they dropped off and then Collins was bringing it back up to that 50-60 range where Rhule had his best class. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the 40s for our 2020 class, maybe in the 30s for 2021 and on depending on how successful we are on the field. I don't think you can expect GT to recruit top 10 or 15 but we should be able to recruit in the top 35 consistently.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I would love to know what percentage of 4-5* high school fb players in GA/Southeast/Nationwide have the grades to get into GT?

It used to be most of them. We are still offering a majority of the big time prospects so I would assume that hasn’t changed even though we have been unsuccessful in bringing them here.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
It used to be most of them. We are still offering a majority of the big time prospects so I would assume that hasn’t changed even though we have been unsuccessful in bringing them here.

I think we would only need a few more 4* to improve quickly. The DL that went to ND a few years ago was down to ND and GT. If we had gotten him, our D would have been transformed. He had the grades and potential to stay eligible here. Why did we lose him? We are in a better position now (IMHO) to win one of these duels every year or two since the offense will provide opportunities to improve your pass rushing skills in practice. This also true for DB and LB prospects.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This also true for DB and LB prospects.

we have several really good Db's over the last decade but I really miss having LB's. They used to roam the Flats on a consistent basis but have become an endangered species (although we have some youngsters with lots of potential). Please CGC, return the LB's back to Grant Field...that is my Christmas wish this year. I'm asking even though I haven't been good this year. consistently good. I've had days here and there but just haven't been able to sustain them.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So if I understand this. We are performing around 50th best in recruiting and a realistic goal would be to improve to somewhere in the 30 to 40 range. That is a 20% plus improvement. Might be a good target to establish and tie some performance bonus to. I think you are looking at a multiyear process improvement to reach such an aggressive goal.

The one other uncontrollable factor is how many 4 and 5 stars turn out to be a bust and how many 2 and 3 star players turn out to be all americans. Maybe a development factor should be built into the performance model.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So if I understand this. We are performing around 50th best in recruiting and a realistic goal would be to improve to somewhere in the 30 to 40 range. That is a 20% plus improvement. Might be a good target to establish and tie some performance bonus to. I think you are looking at a multiyear process improvement to reach such an aggressive goal.

The one other uncontrollable factor is how many 4 and 5 stars turn out to be a bust and how many 2 and 3 star players turn out to be all americans. Maybe a development factor should be built into the performance model.

Go Jackets!
Imo we can beat that 30-40 range and in a short time. In one year with CGC as recruiting coordinator we were 15th, just 1 year and he helped get us there.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@Madison Grant asked for this info over on the Coach thread. (Well he asked for top 25 recruiting classes relative to budgets) Put it here as to not be too far off topic. Recruiting history for the last 5 years sorted by Football Budget. Shaded cells are a top 25 class rank. Bottom line, there's a clear break around $26 million (and these numbers are climbing every year). Tech needs to increase our budget by 50% just to get in the ballgame for "blue chip" recruits. Only NikeU and Stanford are exceptions to that, and not by much.

View attachment 4682
This is great. Instead of nitpicking a couple of years or a couple of specific players this is data that makes a strong case for the constraints CPJ has been working with and what faces Geoff. We simply have to do more in getting more resources

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
What effect does need to take Calculus, even if watered down, have in eliminating recruits because of HS curriculum taken? Do they have to be STEM students? What are the math requirements?

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
What effect does need to take Calculus, even if watered down, have in eliminating recruits because of HS curriculum taken? Do they have to be STEM students? What are the math requirements?

My daughter took the easier Calc class. She is very bright and also had several FB players in her classes (Gary Guyton, Taylor Bennett, and others). I imagine bright FB recruits wanting the education that GT offers would do just fine at GT. My understanding is that if you get into GT (as a SA) resources to keep you in are readily available.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this would open some eyes as to why Georgia Tech doesn't recruit as well in the state as people want.

And, exactly why we have to have a nationwide and world wide strategy for recruiting. You can count the number of 4 star and 5 star DT's with the ability to deal with GT (or desire to deal with GT) on a hand with no fingers.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys: My first response to those on here that believe GT can get top 30 classes every year is amusement.

With that said, I will be the first to scream, glory be to God, if it can happen (and admit publically that I was wrong with my paradigm thinking). In my years on earth as a GT fan, it has NEVER happened. Of course, prior to the early 2000's, the ratings were not very mature or did not exist at all. I do believe Dodd, prior to many changes in the landscape of CFB I will not mention, probably was able to get some "top 20" talent back in the day - a long time ago.
Hell I would normally just hit the like button but you cant hit it 10 times! I agree with every word.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we would only need a few more 4* to improve quickly. The DL that went to ND a few years ago was down to ND and GT. If we had gotten him, our D would have been transformed. He had the grades and potential to stay eligible here. Why did we lose him? We are in a better position now (IMHO) to win one of these duels every year or two since the offense will provide opportunities to improve your pass rushing skills in practice. This also true for DB and LB prospects.

Stephon Tuitt. In another interesting tidbit/double whammy for losing him, he ended up taking Calculus at ND as well.