How long?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm saying right now the idea of getting a few extra bodies in here at OL seems a good idea. I'm not saying we've necessarily been doing it wrong all these years. But as it stands right now, if it came down to a choice between 4-star at a position we're pretty solid in as opposed to a 3-star OL, I would make room for the 3-star OL, and generally accepted normal quotas for those positions should be skewed a bit in favor of OL. OL is our position of greatest need. That's all I'm saying.

Shaq being 2-star was just pointed out to highlight the fact that this position is particularly hard to judge out of HS. If it takes longer to develop OLs, it stands to reason it's harder to know how a HS prospect will turn out at that position.
Still sounds like you’re saying we’ve been doing it wrong at Tech.

You may be right; you may be wrong.

I have no way to know because I don’t have any sure fire way of knowing how many hundreds of recruits were looked at, their measureables, how many were offered, who didn’t meet academic criteria, who chose to go elsewhere etc. The fact that we ended up with roughly the same percentages of players at different positions as other teams also doesn’t tell me how hard we scrapped the bottom of the barrel to even come up with those numbers.

You offered an interesting thesis but I’m not sure there is enough data to tell us if you are on to something or not. Raw numbers at position groups tells me nothing substantive. All I know is that Tech has had inconsistent line play for decades. Even when we’ve had great line play that rarely lasted more than a couple of years. Now that we are trying to run the same offense as everyone else we have an even smaller pool of candidates to draw from.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Still sounds like you’re saying we’ve been doing it wrong at Tech.

You may be right; you may be wrong.

I have no way to know because I don’t have any sure fire way of knowing how many hundreds of recruits were looked at, their measureables, how many were offered, who didn’t meet academic criteria, who chose to go elsewhere etc. The fact that we ended up with roughly the same percentages of players at different positions as other teams also doesn’t tell me how hard we scrapped the bottom of the barrel to even come up with those numbers.

You offered an interesting thesis but I’m not sure there is enough data to tell us if you are on to something or not. Raw numbers at position groups tells me nothing substantive. All I know is that Tech has had inconsistent line play for decades. Even when we’ve had great line play that rarely lasted more than a couple of years. Now that we are trying to run the same offense as everyone else we have an even smaller pool of candidates to draw from.

Interestingly, under CPJ, we actually took LESS OL than we did under CGC. CPJ was just really good at identifying OL that met his needs.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we probably under-recruited DL and OL under CPJ, and over-recruited A-backs and some other positions. Even that probably is a difference of an extra 2 scholarship OL on the 85-man roster.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We just finished .500 in ACC play for the first time since Paul Johnson and if we were to upset UGA(big, basically impossible if), we‘d be bowl eligible. We are so close to being respectable again and it happened in only a matter of months after firing Collins, when he had us at Vandy levels for years. Truly a terrible coach. I believe a good hire gets us back to a bowl next year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We just finished .500 in ACC play for the first time since Paul Johnson and if we were to upset UGA(big, basically impossible if), we‘d be bowl eligible. We are so close to being respectable again and it happened in only a matter of months after firing Collins, when he had us at Vandy levels for years. Truly a terrible coach. I believe a good hire gets us back to a bowl next year.
Agree.