How long does it take to install the option?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, there has been a small push among the Vanderbilt media and supporters to have them switch to the spread option. As far as I can tell the movement has not gathered any steam with the university's athletic department, but they are a very equivalent school to us and even though they experience periodic success, their results tend to be more of a roller coaster vs our consistently average to above average performances.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...erbilt-offense-needs-another-option/75645666/

http://justwaittilnextseason.blogspot.com/2015/05/vanderbilt-should-become-secs-version.html

http://justwaittilnextseason.blogspot.com/2015/05/vanderbilt-should-become-triple-option.html

https://www.seccountry.com/vanderbilt/derek-mason-vanderbilt-football-innovate-differently
That wouldn't help Vandy and they would constantly stay around their usual season to season win totals of 2-4 wins. Derek Mason will be fired after Vanderbilt goes 3-9 this season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One of the reasons I don't think more schools do it is because while we have had some ups, we've also had downs and overall it hasn't really seemed to change what we've been. We're a 7.5 - 5.5 team under Johnson and 7.3-5.3 team under Gailey and a 7.4-4.3 team under O'Leary. Sure there are things like a larger variance and improved competition, but at the end of the day it hasn't really been the great equalizer that people though it would be. And that is when the second problem happens. Who are they going to get to run it? There aren't many coaches at this level who run this system. Plenty that run systems that share aspects, but few that run what we do. I'm sure someone will snatch up Monken but even he deviated a good bit, at least he did when he was at GSU, and it wouldn't surprise me if he changed it up even more if he got to a bigger school.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One of the reasons I don't think more schools do it is because while we have had some ups, we've also had downs and overall it hasn't really seemed to change what we've been. We're a 7.5 - 5.5 team under Johnson and 7.3-5.3 team under Gailey and a 7.4-4.3 team under O'Leary. Sure there are things like a larger variance and improved competition, but at the end of the day it hasn't really been the great equalizer that people though it would be. And that is when the second problem happens. Who are they going to get to run it? There aren't many coaches at this level who run this system. Plenty that run systems that share aspects, but few that run what we do. I'm sure someone will snatch up Monken but even he deviated a good bit, at least he did when he was at GSU, and it wouldn't surprise me if he changed it up even more if he got to a bigger school.
Good point - 4 dc but same o line coach. Where do u find a good o l coachs for the g t offense?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1. In order to install the option one has to know how to do it.

One reason why Coach has been so successful is that he's been running the O so long and has seen, literally, everything done to stop it. The reason the service academies have been successful is that they hired people who coached with him. Then it is just a matter of finding the players to fit the scheme. But … first you have to know what you are doing. Most coaches who haven't been dedicated to it have no real idea about how to install or run the O. They know how to run a double option spread; that's dead simple. Our O, however, is one of the most complex in football history. Not, mind, because of the plays, but because of the blocking schemes used to run them. Remember this? https://www.pscp.tv/SwainEvent/1LyxBEjyowOJN?t=12. I've never seen a group of football players more suddenly brought back to reality then Swain and associates as Roddy explains how the O works. That's something that most coaches in the US have no experience with and, to be frank, couldn't handle.

2. I don't doubt that Tech might try a coach who'll put in a spread offense after Coach leaves. I also don't doubt that he will fail. I also don't doubt that we'll be running a version of the O again in 3 - 4 years, probably with one of his disciples at he helm (my guess = Brian Bohannon). That's what happened at GSU and I see no reason why it won't happen here, if we decide to change horses.

Of course, we could just cut to the chase and try to hire Monken, who might leave Army, or Bohannon and keep the ball rolling. Let's hope we do that.
It wouldn't shock me if Vanderbilt talks to Kennesaw State head football coach Brian Bohannon about the Vandy head coaching job when they fire Derek Mason in December

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
That wouldn't help Vandy and they would constantly stay around their usual season to season win totals of 2-4 wins. Derek Mason will be fired after Vanderbilt goes 3-9 this season.

Why wouldn't it help? Georgia Tech beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Georgia in the same season. They absolutely gifted the Tennessee game away last year... and a few years before that beat Georgia, Mississippi State, Clemson, etc in the same season.

Vandy... like Kansas and Syracuse, can't beat anybody doing what they are doing. Hire someone from the CPJ coaching tree, install the system, and schedule this:

Kent State
Bowling Green
Middle Tennessee State
North Texas/UTEP

Head into SEC play at 4-0 every season and they'll beat Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss, Tennesessee, etc occasionally and set themselves up for a bowl game every season. Give your fans something to cheer about, get some wins, start recruiting better athletes, get in the top 25, and have the occasional G-Tech season where you are REALLY good.

Someone send my post to their Athletic Director. Hell, hire me. I will get it done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn't it help? Georgia Tech beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Georgia in the same season. They absolutely gifted the Tennessee game away last year... and a few years before that beat Georgia, Mississippi State, Clemson, etc in the same season.

Vandy... like Kansas and Syracuse, can't beat anybody doing what they are doing. Hire someone from the CPJ coaching tree, install the system, and schedule this:

Kent State
Bowling Green
Middle Tennessee State
North Texas/UTEP

Head into SEC play at 4-0 every season and they'll beat Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss, Tennesessee, etc occasionally and set themselves up for a bowl game every season. Give your fans something to cheer about, get some wins, start recruiting better athletes, get in the top 25, and have the occasional G-Tech season where you are REALLY good.

Someone send my post to their Athletic Director. Hell, hire me. I will get it done.
Welcome aboard.
Are u currently working at Ga Tech? If so, i thought u just got a contract!!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think the "option" is overblown. CPJ is a really good coach when it comes to X's and O's and getting the most out of his athletes. He's had above-average success everywhere he's run his offense. Mostly at schools without much history of success.

But the truth is that the offense really isn't as different as it's made out to be. This video is an oldie but a goody. CPJ likes the wishbone because it's a balanced formation so it doesn't tip anything about the direction of the play. Also, he likes the QB to be under center to read the D and get a quicker hit from the BB. But ultimately, with motion, it can be the same as an I or a single back set or whatever. Split Clinton Lynch out as a receiver and put big Jordan Mason at A-back to block like a TE and you're basically in a NFL-style single back set. Move the QB in that to shotgun and it's the Urban Meyer shotgun spread option...

Other than the wishbone formation, what CPJ does isn't very different from the other spread offenses out there. CPJ tried different things with Vad and the results were about the same. Give him Saban's players and he'd probably win big. Recruiting is about the same as it's always been. It's not the offense, it's the school and the resources.
We have a winner right here!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've watched Tech football for a long time, and I can only remember two Tech offenses that really gave us a competitive advantage, that opposing coaches hated to prepare for - CPJ's and Ralph Friedgen's.

Fridge was ahead of his time. I LOVE his offense. His presnap motions were sight to behold, and the way he made use of guys like Joe Hamilton, Shawn Jones, and Donnie Davis before the proliferation of the spread was cutting edge. Even ol' Goose was putting up big numbers in the offense.

I think kids would line up to play in that offense today.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One more thing:

Kansas, to use an example here, already has a model for a trip O: Kansas State. I don't know if anybody here watches the Wildcats, but I do at every opportunity. Synder's O is a lot like ours, except it's run from a regular spread. The QB ends up running the ball about 50% of the time, they bring their WRs around to run an inside veer and toss, they favor the dive for their RB, and their QBs can't and don't throw much. Yet they win all the time.

But … it is obvious that, like Coach, Snyder really knows what he's doing. That's how he wins so much despite recruiting classes that are more poorly ranked then Tech's. I mean, really, why would any young man want to spend 4 years in Manhattan, Kansas? But when they do, he knows what to do with them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
One more thing:

Kansas, to use an example here, already has a model for a trip O: Kansas State. I don't know if anybody here watches the Wildcats, but I do at every opportunity. Synder's O is a lot like ours, except it's run from a regular spread. The QB ends up running the ball about 50% of the time, they bring their WRs around to run an inside veer and toss, they favor the dive for their RB, and their QBs can't and don't throw much. Yet they win all the time.

But … it is obvious that, like Coach, Snyder really knows what he's doing. That's how he wins so much despite recruiting classes that are more poorly ranked then Tech's. I mean, really, why would any young man want to spend 4 years in Manhattan, Kansas? But when they do, he knows what to do with them.
GT should have tried to hire Bill Snyder in 1992 after Bobby Ross left for San Diego(y)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Instead of wondering why schools like ku and wfu don't run our O,

Ever wonder why tough academic schools like Stanford and n.d. dont?

Jeez navy and army? Really? They don't have to worry about raising money, selling tickets, or beating ugag / cu / um / vt in the same year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ took over a remarkably consistently mediocre team that had a top 20 recruiting class and had a good year, a great year, and then basically returned to form (or slightly below form) with a few outliers.

That doesn’t suggest to me a terrible team could implement the option and have any real success.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ took over a remarkably consistently mediocre team that had a top 20 recruiting class and had a good year, a great year, and then basically returned to form (or slightly below form) with a few outliers.

That doesn’t suggest to me a terrible team could implement the option and have any real success.

Because you don't think Defense contributes to wins and losses. Tevin's offense in 11 and 12, despite the hiccups of Vad in 12 were really darn good.