How is the Atlanta media reaction to Collins this year?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in middle Ga and I only get the bill shanks show here. Just wondering what Atlanta sports talk radio is saying about Collins and the program. I know it’s more about the Braves and dogs but I’m sure they saying something’s about what going on with the tech program.

Jmonty71

Banned
I heard one sentence, about a month ago. "GT was a program that went off the tracks, and has yet to find its way back on." However; we usually aren't talked about in our own city. That was on 92.9... Morning show, I think....

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I live in middle Ga and I only get the bill shanks show here. Just wondering what Atlanta sports talk radio is saying about Collins and the program. I know it’s more about the Braves and dogs but I’m sure they saying something’s about what going on with the tech program.
You misspelled dwags.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The AJC covers GT regularly. Their coverage has mostly been positive or neutral but as the season progressed with more close losses, they haven’t been so forgiving. Considering the record, I’d say the press treatment has been
good.
Actually the AJC coverage of us as the "hometown team" has been pretty bad. I get access to the AJC at work and there have been days we have had zero articles about the program during the week, while they have run articles on Clemson or another school in that space. Given UGA's record I can understand why they get two to three daily articles in addition to the ads for the Dawg Nation podcast. I can't speak to sports radio as I don't live in Atlanta, but given The Athletic dropping us and the minimal coverage in the AJC, we seem to be a "we have to send a reporter over there" program. It is what makes the whole 404 ATL takeover think look so ridiculous.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't think being off the radar is a bad thing the way things are going currently. Even Collins' Twitter has been dark since the NIU game. Come back when we are good, media.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I had an early flight yesterday AM and ended up listening to what I think was a replay from 680. They talked GT and Collins specifically for about 5 min. Basic gist was the same as gets said here - lots of teams making changes, would be surprised if GT did but Collins needs to get wins. About as much as I've heard from any local radio (but I'm in Dallas (TX that is) - I check in from time to time).

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't hear it first hand but there is a thread on another board about some of the cretins on our flagship station promoting the idea of Gibbs transferring to another program.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think he transfers. He get tons of playing time and is the face of the program. He will get two the nfl just as quick at tech that he would at any other school. Most transfer Bc they not getting playing time at their current school. If he was a graduate that be a different story.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I used to live on the other side of the county from you but now I’m in the 770. I still listen to Bill Shanks, and Dwag homer that he is, he still does a better job covering Tech vs. anyone in Atlanta.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I used to live on the other side of the county from you but now I’m in the 770. I still listen to Bill Shanks, and Dwag homer that he is, he still does a better job covering Tech vs. anyone in Atlanta.
One of bills good friend is is a tech fan and his on the show with him all the time. Bill is not a jacket hater he wishes they do good and that would make the tech and ga a better rivalry. Russ Brown his other co host was a tech fan growing up but not so much now since he’s the ga southern side line reporter for their radio broadcast.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
One of bills good friend is is a tech fan and his on the show with him all the time. Bill is not a jacket hater he wishes they do good and that would make the tech and ga a better rivalry. Russ Brown his other co host was a tech fan growing up but not so much now since he’s the ga southern side line reporter for their radio broadcast.
Yeah, I used to listen more to Russ and Daniel’s Midday Show before they cut their Tech segments, and Daniel’s “The Athletic” dropped their Tech beat completely. I used to call in occasionally to both shows. I have interacted with all of them including Skip on Twitter. A few years back on one their shows leading up to COFH, I sent them a meme on twitter and it sounded like Russ had spit out his drink and had fallen out of his chair laughing. I got one of Bill’s famous “I don’t think I like your tone” scolds on air. Good times.

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I live 350 miles from the ATL but get the AJC on line. Ken Sugiura does a fine job of covering Tech with an article nearly every day. Three articles after every game. Even Ken has become a little negative as time goes on. Mark Bradley wrote a very negative column about a week ago. Negative but on target with the current situation!

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I used to listen more to Russ and Daniel’s Midday Show before they cut their Tech segments, and Daniel’s “The Athletic” dropped their Tech beat completely. I used to call in occasionally to both shows. I have interacted with all of them including Skip on Twitter. A few years back on one their shows leading up to COFH, I sent them a meme on twitter and it sounded like Russ had spit out his drink and had fallen out of his chair laughing. I got one of Bill’s famous “I don’t think I like your tone” scolds on air. Good times.
Russ actually mentioned this week he grew up a GT fan but changed his allegiance because of Tech fan elitism. Being a sidewalk fan myself I know what he means. They do a great job on the Superstation covering GT. Better than 680 the fan(our official home).

By the way, Skip was a fraternity brother of mine.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Russ actually mentioned this week he grew up a GT fan but changed his allegiance because of Tech fan elitism. Being a sidewalk fan myself I know what he means.

@geno57, if things keep trending in the same direction, this fan base is going to be so damn elite that we will all know each other on a first name basis! We can have our annual "Fan Day" golf tournament at your course. It may require only 4 tee times. We can all fit into the White Diamond for 'que afterwards. ;)

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
@geno57, if things keep trending in the same direction, this fan base is going to be so damn elite that we will all know each other on a first name basis! We can have our annual "Fan Day" golf tournament at your course. It may require only 4 tee times. We can all fit into the White Diamond for 'que afterwards. ;)
I don’t play golf, but I would happily drive a cart for y’all if it means getting some Q from the White Diamond.