How do you think the new AD affects basketball?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that is the right answer. We will get an UA or Nike deal but he won't have an opportunity to change the coach or anything like that. The contract does (and should) make him untouchable for several years so we get to tag along and see what happens.

I do hope he can help put some more buts in the seats. That would be through a combination of a better PR / marketing effort and hopefully a little bit of personal pull/credibility.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both UCF and OR ST have Nike contracts. I don't think Stansbury negotiated either - though i could be wrong, but have to think he has had a fair bit of contact with Nike reps.
He has a rep for employing Homer Rice's Total Person concept where ever he goes, being an effective fundraiser, strong academic performance and creative fan engagement.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think that is the right answer. We will get an UA or Nike deal but he won't have an opportunity to change the coach or anything like that. The contract does (and should) make him untouchable for several years so we get to tag along and see what happens.

I do hope he can help put some more buts in the seats. That would be through a combination of a better PR / marketing effort and hopefully a little bit of personal pull/credibility.

I know he's a football guy but between what Pastner is doing and a deal with either UA or Nike, I think it's a given that more butts will be in seats.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
no real effect on Hoops. I do know Coach Reveno knows him from there time in Oregon and said it was a great hire.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Pastner seems to be preaching GT is a special place and Stansbury will reinforce that point.

PR folks need to take Stansbury's opening press conference and whittle it down to about 5 minutes and show it to every visitor.
That press conference was a great job of selling IMHO.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know he's a football guy but between what Pastner is doing and a deal with either UA or Nike, I think it's a given that more butts will be in seats.

I expect you will see some new ways to engage the fans for both FB and BB - even in his first pressor he talked about terraces and beaches to create ways to get younger fans engaged. Tech has some real estate issues that he didn't have at UCF or Corvallis but I would expect you will see a "fan experience" focus on both sports.

Specific to BB you and I are paying attention to what CJP is doing (and admittedly you more than me) but I am in the 90th percentile of paying attention and you are in the 100th plus percentile. Point being most fans don't know he is being very aggressive on the recruiting path and so far there isn't really much to speak about in terms of results (no slam on current commit but this is the ACC). And we are going into a season where we are going to get our arse handed to us more often than not. IMHO not a pretty picture. So while there will be a bump for having a new coach, it is going to take some aggressive and intellingent marketing to get folks to come for what I expect to be a pretty brutal season. The ADs job is going to be to help put together a campaign that engages the local audience to come watch the sausage being made as opposed to optimism about what can happen this year. Not an easy prospect at all. Long way to say I guess I differ with you a bit that it is a "given" that more butts will be in seats. Easier for fans to tune this year out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I expect you will see some new ways to engage the fans for both FB and BB - even in his first pressor he talked about terraces and beaches to create ways to get younger fans engaged. Tech has some real estate issues that he didn't have at UCF or Corvallis but I would expect you will see a "fan experience" focus on both sports.

Specific to BB you and I are paying attention to what CJP is doing (and admittedly you more than me) but I am in the 90th percentile of paying attention and you are in the 100th plus percentile. Point being most fans don't know he is being very aggressive on the recruiting path and so far there isn't really much to speak about in terms of results (no slam on current commit but this is the ACC). And we are going into a season where we are going to get our arse handed to us more often than not. IMHO not a pretty picture. So while there will be a bump for having a new coach, it is going to take some aggressive and intellingent marketing to get folks to come for what I expect to be a pretty brutal season. The ADs job is going to be to help put together a campaign that engages the local audience to come watch the sausage being made as opposed to optimism about what can happen this year. Not an easy prospect at all. Long way to say I guess I differ with you a bit that it is a "given" that more butts will be in seats. Easier for fans to tune this year out.

Good points

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I don't have the answers, but I hope Stansbury and CJP work together to identify some ways to increase attendance, especially among students. It won't be a great year on the court, but we all want the kids to bust their asses and give their best effort.
Best way to encourage that is to have vocal support visible and audible at games. In the last few years, student attendance at non-ACC games (and even some lower end ACC games) has been pathetic. Non student attendance has been abysmal too, but those folks can at least blame traffic, tickets prices, etc. Students just have to walk over to McCamish and cheer.
I won't be surprised if they offer some type of incentive for folks that have season tickets to both football and basketball. Something like priority for future seasons, bowl games, ACC tourney etc.

slugboy

Staff member
If they get excited students in the stands, I think we'll get more alumni and sidewalk fans in. The atmosphere has been "thin" for a while.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
when they had cjp for lunch bunch he had a laundry list of things he wants to see happen to increase attendance and make it better for the fans. "why dont we do that?"

i really liked his attitude. from my perspective he is a 'no stone left unturned' kinda guy.

my gut tells me stansbury will be more receptive to the stuff that cjp wants to do. he may have some great ideas of his own.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... as to what TD will do for basketball, I think he'll bring a better positive presence to the GTAA, thus improve the "feel" potential players get when they come to GT to check us out.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/coaches-approve-of-stansbury-who-understands-what-/nsgKL/

Stansbury is expected to begin in late November or early December. Pastner met with Stansbury for about 45 minutes on Friday.

“I’m really excited about him,” said Pastner, who has mutual friends with Stansbury. “His reputation is at the highest level you can have in the business.”

Pastner said that Stansbury understood what Pastner is facing as he begins to rebuild a team that won 21 games and reached the NIT quarterfinals in coach Brian Gregory’s final year, but brings back only 22 percent of its scoring from last season and 33 percent of minutes played.

Pastner said that Stansbury “wants to support us and give us the resources necessary. He was here when Bobby Cremins had it rolling. He understands it will take time and it won’t be easy.”