How do you feel about Brian Gregory?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I was not a huge fan of him to begin with but I think he can do a good enough job to have us headed in the right direction...next year is crucial for him.

Bolden, Carter Jr, MGH will all have a year under the belt.

Solomon Poole will have a off-season to develop and learn which is huge

Killed will be a Senior.

Hopefully Morris can return healthy..same for Heyward.

PG will be the question mark

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
I like him. I love the way he handles us off the field.

However, I do wonder if he has a ceiling that will ultimately be unsatisfactory.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan as of now. I hate his style of play, too slow and plouding. I'm hoping for better but my expectations are low, Dayton was happy to see him go. Unless I see a better offense I hope he's gone within two.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When we started the search I was like "anybody but that guy from Dayton" so I was not a fan initially. Like, xenoabe, I've been impressed with just about everything he's done off the court. He's doing a good job of re-stocking the shelves talent-wise.

However, his in-game coaching at times seems inadequate. We've been unable or too slow to react it seems. I'm no coach so that's just my fan's eye view.

I always pull for our guys so I hope he's successful enough to be here for a decade. Next year is still understandibly (sp?) a building year but 2014-15 we should be one of the top teams in the new ACC. If not, Bobinski has a great track record for bball hires.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he's doing a good job of rebuilding the program, Hewitt really left this program in shambles, I actually like seeing players develop and we now can run inbounds plays decently! I think he may have a ceiling and we may eventually need someone else to take us to the next level, but I'm very pleased with how the program is heading in the right direction

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
At the time of his hire, CBG was the best candidate available for Tech due to the financial situation Blewit left us in. He may not be able to bring in the five star guys like arse hat blewit did, but I think he will bring the kind of players that build a program that wins more consistantly. I'm tired of having the one and dones and always having to rebuild a team. Let UK have that constant pressure of relying on immature 18 year olds yearly. If given enough time CBG will get the prgram to where he can reload not rebuild every year. He is a good coach and has good coaches around him. He is a keeper.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt's second to last year GT was in the tourney, how is that shambles??
I wanted Hewitt to be able to turn the ship around and it's unfortunate he wasn't but I'm just as disappointed in a fan base that keeps riding the guy like he was so horrible when he took the program in 11 year to the tourney 5 times with a NC showing (the highest the program was EVER taken) so yeah you miss me with all that bitching about Hewitt.
I prefer his offense better than the slow ineffective crap Gregory is trotting out there now.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Blewitt's offense consisted of whom ever brought the ball past half court got first dibs on shooting first. His offense wouldn't be considered a mediocre high school offense. He called one play the whole game "move". What is that? I will tell you what that is, crap. His defense was piss poor and don't get me started on inbounding the basketball. Hewitt to his credit could recruit one and doners, but he could not develop a "Team". He had the magical season when everything fell right for him, but other than that he was one under achieving dog of a coach. That one magical season he did have can be credited to Jarret Jack and Will Bynum for playing out of their minds during the tourney.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Hewitt did leave the program in shambles, the cupboard was bare... Like freaking bone dry, when he left. The only decent player at the time he left was glen rice jr and he was a punk. The players left were lacking in talent and fundamentals, Gregory is actually coaching the players up, and it's easy to see

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This thread went from thoughtful discussion to former coach bashing in record time. It's been two years. At what point will the butthurt subside.

Besides, being better than Hewitt is not the standard we should be hoping to achieve. I'd like to see us become a consistent contender. No, we weren't that under the former regime but the problems then have been stated, re-stated and dug up time and time again. It's old now. The title of the thread is how do you feel about Brian Gregory.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
JazzyD95 said:
Hewitt did leave the program in shambles, the cupboard was bare... Like freaking bone dry, when he left. The only decent player at the time he left was glen rice jr and he was a punk. The players left were lacking in talent and fundamentals, Gregory is actually coaching the players up, and it's easy to see

He also left Brian Oliver and Iman Shumpert. Shumpert chose to go pro and Oliver transferred. I think Shump probably would've left anyway, though I think it was kind of telling that he tweeted his intentions during Gregory's introductory press conference. Oliver probably would've stayed. He wasn't a great player, but he would've been the best shooter on our team the last 2 years.

I think I felt the same as ATL1 with regards to Hewitt. I wish he'd been able to turn it around and be kept. However, I think it was time to move on due to the fractured fan base.

Regarding Gregory: I like him and I hope he does succeed. Getting a high quality PG should be the top priority for the staff. The ACC is only going to get tougher with Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Pitt joining. I'm in the group that says a coach should get at least 4 years to prove his worth unless the first 3 are just a total disaster. Hopefully by year 4 under Gregory we will be back in the NCAAs. If we haven't gone to the tournament by his fourth year, I think we'll need to look for a new guy. I really wish GT would've accepted the invitation to the CBI this year. I know it's a little embarrassing, but it would've been good for our young guys to get a little more experience. Next year's schedule will be brutal and they need all the experience that they can get. Plus, George Mason made it to the finals, so we would've been able to judge Gregory and Hewitt a little more :D

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Being a huge Tom Izzo fan I was excited to get him. I like the direction of the team, but was am a little concerned with being swept by Clemson and BC this year. Those teams both have coaches that have had a one year head start on their rebuilds, but I thought we should have at least split games with them. That would have put us at 18-13 at least and maybe an NIT bid. Either way I'm looking forward to next year and seeing what SP and TJ at point will do. I like that he basically wants both guards and the small forward responsible for handling and shooting. I think if BR is leaving then you will see a four man rotation in the back court of SP, CB starting and TJ and CH backing them up. That will be a very young back court with 2 Sophs and 2 freshmen. Hopefully the 2 sophs will have taken a big leap from their freshmen yr to allow the 2 freshmen to be brought along. The leaves a front court of DM, RCJ, and MGH starting with KH, JM, SPJ, and QS backing up. The overall depth will be good, and I think as the guards go our season will go.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CBG says all the right stuff. He talks Tech identity which I think is crucial in sports. You play for the uniform. My concern when he was hired was that he wasn't regularly at/near the top of his conference. He's made me a bit more optimistic but not yet really confident that he can get us back to where I think we should be.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
So far I like him. We have been taking steps forward for 2 years. However this year will be the key for me. Either we turn the corner or we don't. The pieces are there, and there are no excuses.