How Coach Johnson Stacks up among former YellowJacket Coaches!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Paul Johnson has won more games (58) in his first seven years than any other coach in the storied history of the Institute. Johnson has also taken the Rambling Wreck to bowl games in each of his first seven seasons, a feat unmatched in Tech history. Last year’s team ranked 8th nationally by the Associated Press, the school’s highest ranking in 24 years. Tech’s 11 victories tied for the most in school history and his team led the nation in rushing, setting an ACC single-season standard. He was named ACC Coach of the Year for the third time in seven seasons.

Georgia Tech Coaches and Records by most Wins
Head Coach...............Seasons..............w-L-T.........Pct
Bobby Dodd .............(22) 1945-1966... 165-64-8......713
William Alexander ..(25) 1920-1944.... 134-95-15....580
John Heisman* .........(16) 1904-1919..... 102-29-7.....764
Paul Johnson ...............(7) 2008-2014....#58-35-0....624
# 2009 ACC Championship Game win vacated due to NCAA
sanctions

CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY
Rk. Head Coach.......... Years............................ W .......L... T... Pct
1. Paul Johnson ..........(7) ....2008-2014 ...........37 ....21 ......0 .638
2. George O’Leary ......(7) ....1994-2001 ...........36 ....22 ......0 .621
3. Bill Curry ................(4) ....1983-1986 ...........13 ......8 ......1 .614
4. Chan Gailey ............(6) ....2002-2007 ...........28 ....20 ......0 .583
5. Bobby Ross .............(5) ....1987-1991 ...........15 ....18 ......1 .456
6. Bill Lewis ................(3) ....1992-1994 .............7 ....15 ......0 .318

BOWL GAMES ONLY
Head Coach............................. Bowls W/L T Pct
Bobby Dodd ..............................(13) 9/4 0 .692
Paul Johnson .............................(7) 2/5 0 .286
William Alexander ...................(5) 3/2 0 .600
Chan Gailey ..............................(5) 2/3 0 .400
George O’Leary ........................(4) 2/2 0 .500
Bobby Ross ................................(2) 2/0 0 1.000
Bud Carson ...............................(2) 1/1 0 .500
Bill Curry ...................................(1) 1/0 0 1.000
Bill Fulcher ................................(1) 1/0 0 1.000
Mac MacWhorter (interim -2001) .. (1) 1

Link
http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-footbl/2015accfbguide.pdf

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
And to think CPJ was on the hot seat this time last year. That bowl win % needs improvement though, but winning the OB was no small feat.

Judging on bowl record is not a great measure though. For one, the sample size is much smaller, but also you're always playing teams that have a winning record that are pretty much supposed to be a toss up match up. If a coach has a 50% record in bowl games then he's doing a good job.

If we beat Utah and Air Force we'd be 4-3 and it wouldn't look so bad.

I think he's one of the best

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At the air force game. We looked abissmal.

Seasons have same number of games in dodd verses johnson era?;

In 16 we could be really good - then compare to dodd

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
11 wins is the second most wins in school history. Also, Pepper Rodgers and Jon Tenuta each coached in bowl games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You have to play to win.

The 11 win metric for a season isn't very good unless you are only talking about the last few years. The first time we ever played 12 or more games was in 1951. And we have only played 14 games in a season (like last year), three times in the last 111 years. (Gailey 2006, CPJ 2012 and 2014). We played 13 games in a season 10 times, starting with Ross winning the NC in 1990. So of course CPJ is going to win more games in seven years than others since he's playing more games.

CPJ is good, but no way as good as Heisman or Dodd. So far in his 7 years, he's about the same as Alexander or O'Leary or Ross or (gasp) Gailey and they all coached 7 years or less. Here's how I evaluate our coaches .... https://gtswarm.com/threads/111-years-of-gt-football.6986/

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest complement I can give Coach Johnson is to say that I would prefer having him as our head coach today than any coach in our past. I love our history because it makes us a special place but you cant really compare. Our first three coaches were very special during a time that often saw less than 18 players grace the field. Dodd transitioned from single to two platoon but knew his old formula would no longer work in modern day football. I have no idea if PJ could have been as successful as those guys back in the day but would rank him ahead of the rest for modern day football. . I would place O'Leary in a close second based on record but wonder if he could have sustained his success with the changes in academics and ncaa rules concerning degree path and being on target to graduate. We are a very special place and need a unique guy. I also give PJ bonus points for the fact our friends in Athens hate him as much as the OLD BALL COACH , hate playing against our offense and hate listening to Johnson talk down the SEC. Maybe that is more than just a few bonus points?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
If he gets debited for coaching more games in seven years, he should be credited for coaching in a more competitive environment. Obviously, comparing across eras is difficult, because it's nearly impossible to control for all the various factors (academic rigor, opponents' academic rigor, television exposure, integration, scholarship limits, etc.), but I am of the opinion that two eleven win seasons in seven years at a school that had two ten win seasons in the 52 years (and only six nine win seasons in the same period) preceding him is pretty damn superb. If he isn't the best, he's gotta be top three. Oh, and the kids are graduating, which should count for something.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest complement I can give Coach Johnson is to say that I would prefer having him as our head coach today than any coach in our past. I love our history because it makes us a special place but you cant really compare. Our first three coaches were very special during a time that often saw less than 18 players grace the field. Dodd transitioned from single to two platoon but knew his old formula would no longer work in modern day football. I have no idea if PJ could have been as successful as those guys back in the day but would rank him ahead of the rest for modern day football. . I would place O'Leary in a close second based on record but wonder if he could have sustained his success with the changes in academics and ncaa rules concerning degree path and being on target to graduate. We are a very special place and need a unique guy. I also give PJ bonus points for the fact our friends in Athens hate him as much as the OLD BALL COACH , hate playing against our offense and hate listening to Johnson talk down the SEC. Maybe that is more than just a few bonus points?
I have been saying this for years. I also doubt O'Leary would have maintained his success at GT post flunkgate/NCAA probation/progress towards degree.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Curry walked into an awful mess at the GTAA. O'Leary walked into a terrible post Lewis mess. Ross was a very different personality than Curry, which created a mess. Gailey created his own mess with flunkgate and not understanding GT academics.

Johnson walked into a stable situation with good talent, as his first two years with Gailey's talent shows. He then proceeded to have a losing record against FBS teams over the next four years with his talent.

Johnson has had one good year with his recruits.

All the OP shows is that statistics are misleading. No two GT coaches have faced the same issues and culture, so comparing them statistically is useless.