House vs. NCAA

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
See attached Pete Thamel article on NCAA, B1G, ACC, Big12 approving House settlement. SEC and PAC 12 voting today. We are close to the Brave New World!

Attachments

• Sources -- NCAA, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12 vote to settle House v. NCAA case - ESPN.pdf
    591.5 KB · Views: 21

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
See attached Pete Thamel article on NCAA, B1G, ACC, Big12 approving House settlement. SEC and PAC 12 voting today. We are close to the Brave New World!
GT employed athletes are coming.
I thought of this the other day after someone said they cannot support a team that pays SAs.

When I wear the GT on my shirt or hat. It is not because I love the "school". It's because I love the football and basketball programs.

Just like someone would like the hawks or falcons. I follow the team. I don't give a rats butt about the school and it's accomplishments. Schools like uga/Bama/Ohio State have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of fans like me. GT needs a heck of a lot more.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can agree with these thoughts. I guess the "growth" for the top tier teams is that as the sport generates more revenue with inflation so will those teams. Take Ohio State/uga/Bama/USC. They are what I would call the S&P 500 of college football. More than likely all P4 schools are aligned to that, but as you stated there is more room to grow with a someone like a Rutgers/Vandy/GT.
Let's look at Tennessee for example:

UT fills their house every home game. There is nothing you can do increase stadium revenue other than by raising ticket prices, but there is always a chance that doesn't work. Knoxville support of the Vols may already be at the saturation point and the SEC shares from CFP and ESPN are already fixed. Then there is this, "Univ. of Tennessee athletics saw a $2.5M deficit for FY 2021-22 despite "record-high revenues," according to Adam Sparks of the KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL."

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Let's look at Tennessee for example:

UT fills their house every home game. There is nothing you can do increase stadium revenue other than by raising ticket prices, but there is always a chance that doesn't work. Knoxville support of the Vols may already be at the saturation point and the SEC shares from CFP and ESPN are already fixed. Then there is this, "Univ. of Tennessee athletics saw a $2.5M deficit for FY 2021-22 despite "record-high revenues," according to Adam Sparks of the KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL."

A deficit with record high revenue I would hope means growth or reinvestment within the Tenn AA.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
A deficit with record high revenue I would hope means growth or reinvestment within the Tenn AA.
Perhaps. But I wouldn’t put too much stock in a smallish reported deficit, especially for a non-profit. As I recall, when I would ask my accounting folks what our quarterly numbers were looking like, they would respond with “what number do you want?”

There are ways of juggling things to manipulate the reported numbers within a range.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought of this the other day after someone said they cannot support a team that pays SAs.

When I wear the GT on my shirt or hat. It is not because I love the "school". It's because I love the football and basketball programs.

Just like someone would like the hawks or falcons. I follow the team. I don't give a rats butt about the school and it's accomplishments. Schools like uga/Bama/Ohio State have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of fans like me. GT needs a heck of a lot more.
Completely agree and I am an alum

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Looks like it’s officially coming now.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Looks like it’s officially coming now.

Oh dear. What has happened to college sports.

Obviously I’ll keep watching. I won’t abandon this fandom that I love, but this takes away a lot I loved about the game.

I think the straw that breaks the camels back for me would be if mid season transfers somehow come into play. THAT would make me stop watching. Thankfully it’s not likely.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Obviously I’ll keep watching. I won’t abandon this fandom that I love, but this takes away a lot I loved about the game.

I think the straw that breaks the camels back for me would be if mid season transfers somehow come into play. THAT would make me stop watching. Thankfully it’s not likely.
Do players still have to be enrolled as students? Or, just playing for the school?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I think this will actually help move to stabilization. Have to think of this more like soccer Fandom in the UK rather than amateur sports in America.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Do players still have to be enrolled as students? Or, just playing for the school?
This is the biggest issue to me. The answer seems so obvious that they will not have to be students. Heck, they are barely students now. How can anyone expect that someone who is being paid several million dollars to play football will be made to go to class and make grades. Why? What would be the point of that? It would literally be a pointless waste of time. And who really thinks a player being paid millions would be allowed to become ineligible to play if they didn’t make the grades. Yeah right!

So if they aren’t students, then GT is just sponsoring a pro team. Sounds boring to me.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
This is the biggest issue to me. The answer seems so obvious that they will not have to be students. Heck, they are barely students now. How can anyone expect that someone who is being paid several million dollars to play football will be made to go to class and make grades. Why? What would be the point of that? It would literally be a pointless waste of time. And who really thinks a player being paid millions would be allowed to become ineligible to play if they didn’t make the grades. Yeah right!

So if they aren’t students, then GT is just sponsoring a pro team. Sounds boring to me.
This honestly would help us tho cause if they don’t have to focus on academics it can help us shed the image of tough academics amongst the higher recruits.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a lot of reason to think they’d not have to be students AFAICT.

The schools/teams are VERY aware of the PR advantages the student part gives them.

The vast majority of the players will be making small amounts with no further pro prospects so I can’t see a huge push coming from that side.

Legally the student restriction also seems pretty safe, and it’s been the skepticism of the judicial system driving other changes.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan

Perhaps it was my post you are referring to in my wife and my decision to not support GTAA if student-athletes become employees. I understand and respect the position you express - when you "wear the GT on ... shirt or hat" you support the team, not the school. That is fair. However, for us, as both alumni and a former student-athlete (VB) we see ourselves supporting both the institution and its student-athletes. We too love the FB, MBB, and VB programs and have been season ticket members for years as well as supporters of the A-T Fund (however, not The Tech Way as we disagree with NIL). Granted, we are very much in the minority - but we will stay true to our values and not support a system that overvalues those who simply play a game instead of those who serve and protect, teach, or care for the sick and aged. Nor do we go to professional sporting events - including the Hawks or Falcons - for this reason. Again, I respect your opinion and perspective. However, we do not share it.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps it was my post you are referring to in my wife and my decision to not support GTAA if student-athletes become employees. I understand and respect the position you express - when you "wear the GT on ... shirt or hat" you support the team, not the school. That is fair. However, for us, as both alumni and a former student-athlete (VB) we see ourselves supporting both the institution and its student-athletes. We too love the FB, MBB, and VB programs and have been season ticket members for years as well as supporters of the A-T Fund (however, not The Tech Way as we disagree with NIL). Granted, we are very much in the minority - but we will stay true to our values and not support a system that overvalues those who simply play a game instead of those who serve and protect, teach, or care for the sick and aged. Nor do we go to professional sporting events - including the Hawks or Falcons - for this reason. Again, I respect your opinion and perspective. However, we do not share it.
And that's fine to agree to disagree. I love to follow sports. It's my hobby. Being able to donate to GTAA/The Tech Way helps me feel like I am part of the team and can make an impact to the win column. My dream job growing up was to be a GM for an NBA team. Wheeling and dealing with Free Agents, and making trades.

At the end of the day people are paid who generate money. Celebrities/athletes/influencers generate large amounts of income for companies. It's hard for a nurse to generate income. My wife a midwife and I discussed this. For her to generate more income from being a midwife she would have to do home births. That or she would need to go towards a social media approach and make interesting videos that hopefully get views. The US economy is ruled by entertainment and service. We went from manufacturing, to service, to now this new age of entertainment. Where 20 yr old women are making 60k a month from their onlyfans page. Do I wish my wife got paid 250k (to me what's she's worth for the work and risk she assumes) of course. Will it happen? Likely not. It's a shame we don't value those who truly make change in our country/world.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

I don’t think you would have mid season transfers cuz I would expect contracts would be signed if they become employees and/or not students at all anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
GT was originally modeled after Worcester Polytechnic and we’d still be sort of like WPI with sports if GT hadn’t aggressively transitioned to a research university starting with Pettit. It’s not trophies, it’s about getting top flight faculty, students, labs, facilities and rankings. Research funds all that. WPI stayed as it was and is ranked #92.
Last I checked, and, to be fair, it was probably more than five years ago, WPI graduates were in the top ten in average salary, several places ahead of Tech.