HOPE Scholarship (Can it be used to bring in more recruits??)

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Not being from Georgia and not knowing how the HOPE scholarship works but can some of you explain what the HOPE scholarship pays for and what the criteria is to get/keep the scholarship? From what I've heard, it pays for tuition and books but not housing or food and you need at least a GPA of 3.0.

The reason why I'm asking is because is that something that schools in Georgia can take advantage of? Say an in-state recruit wants to come to Tech and definitely has the grades to come to Tech and would be eligible for the HOPE scholly and perhaps he's from a lower class family.

Can a savy athletic department steer some in-need financial aid towards such players that would cover housing and food? Essentially he'll have a full ride to Tech (or whatever school the recruit wants to go to in Georgia) as long as he has a GPA of 3.0.

Essentially you'll be able to bring in extra recruits as "walk-ons" with full rides. Of course, there won't be MANY recruits who will fit this description but I can imagine there's at least 1 or 2 players we can bring in like that. Of course, we or anyone else won't do this with highly recruited players but more for those "fringe" recruits who we wouldn't mind giving them a chance but not sure if its worth a scholly to do so.

This might also work for in-state players who went out-of-state on a football scholly and essentially want to transfer back to Georgia for one reason or another and they meet the criteria for the HOPE scholarship?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Trust me, as a college student on HOPE, it doesn't cover anything. Only part of tuition. You do have to maintain a 3.0 GPA which is evaluated at the 30-, 60-, and 90-hour marks. I would assume that most of our walk-ons either have HOPE or the Zell Miller Scholarship, which covers much more than HOPE does, but also requires a GPA of 3.7. I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I understand that is how things are.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
This might have changed some since I used it, but yes you must have a 3.0 leaving HS and maintain a 3.0 after a certain number of hours (not sure of how many hours but basically after your first full year in school) I think they check your gpa after each year. I am sure they use this as a recruiting tool for in state kids, but I would guess it is not that big of a deal or not really used for top targets. One of the schools that I played baseball for used it as a way to spread the scholarship around to more people. Hope would pay for books and tuition and my housing was paid for by the school.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Trust me, as a college student on HOPE, it doesn't cover anything. Only part of tuition. You do have to maintain a 3.0 GPA which is evaluated at the 30-, 60-, and 90-hour marks. I would assume that most of our walk-ons either have HOPE or the Zell Miller Scholarship, which covers much more than HOPE does, but also requires a GPA of 3.7. I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I understand that is how things are.

This must have changed from when I was in school. It covered ALL of my undergrad tuition for the first four years (I took five to graduate).

That being said, tuition is only part of the cost of going to school. Room and Board, books, parking, meals, etc. adds up big time! I don't think we'd get a big time recruit on that premise...they'd easily take a full ride somewhere else before committing to Tech to use HOPE

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
This must have changed from when I was in school. It covered ALL of my undergrad tuition for the first four years (I took five to graduate).

That being said, tuition is only part of the cost of going to school. Room and Board, books, parking, meals, etc. adds up big time! I don't think we'd get a big time recruit on that premise...they'd easily take a full ride somewhere else before committing to Tech to use HOPE
HOPE doesn't cover nearly as much as it used to unfortunately. Like I said, it only covered partial tuition. I had to pay the rest of it and for books. Praise the Lord I go to school close enough to home that I don't have to move out

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
HOPE has not covered books for a few years. Pays a portion of the tuition and none of the fees.

I know that for those on partial scholarships that they use the HOPE (assuming the student keeps it) and the partial 'ship to cover the tuition and fees.

My daughter has the HOPE and goes to the school in Athens... for the current semester I paid over $2500 in fees and tuition that was not covered by the HOPE Scholarship. Again, that does NOT include any books, etc.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
HOPE ran out of money. HOPE award was cut back, and the original HOPE was renamed Zell Miller Scholarship, and required a 3.7 GPA to maintain. I always thought this was a farce anyway. To maintain the original HOPE scholarship at GT, you had to make Dean's List. Not many other schools honor a student with Dean's List for a 3.0 GPA.

My opinion was always that the minimum GPA to maintain HOPE should have been set at "Dean's List", since it was an academic scholarship, not a need-based scholarship. That would have allowed the HOPE funding to be distributed equitably. As it was, many kids lost HOPE after their first year at Tech.

I certainly know that if it had been around when I went to Tech I would have never sniffed any $. Didn't make Dean's List until my senior year (all 5 quarters of it! When I was there, you became a senior after 135 QH, but I needed 211 to get out).

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
The Zell Miller requires a 3.7 out of high school but at least a 3.3 while in college to have all of tuition covered. At least that's how it was when I graduated last May.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the clarification. I never really knew the #'s for the Zell Miller scholly, just that they were trying to lower the number of students receiving full rides. I know this created all kinds of grade inflation at the high school and community college level. It's been well documented.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Why would a kid take less than 1/3 of a ride when they could get a full scholly elsewhere? Maybe a minor sport, but not the big 2.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thanks for the clarification. I never really knew the #'s for the Zell Miller scholly, just that they were trying to lower the number of students receiving full rides. I know this created all kinds of grade inflation at the high school and community college level. It's been well documented.

My daughter started on Zell in 2012. She lost it this year but kept Hope alive. I believe Hope has still saved me about $5k a year at Tech.

I believe they changed things a few years ago when the uGa Lottery receipts starting tailing off due to the recession.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like HOPE isn't what it used to be. When I was going to school (1998-2003), a lot of out-of-state students lived in Georgia long enough to get state residency and got the HOPE scholarship for their senior year and they would brag about how they had all their tuition and books paid for. I wasn't sure if they were just over exaggerating their scholly or whether it really did pay for all their tuition and books.

Oldgoldandwhite: I recall the walk-on WR Jaime Alvarez had full-rides to other schools but came to Tech to see if he could play at the FBS level (from "The Process"). So there are guys out there who would do this. I don't think we'll get some 4-star guy doing this for us. I'm talking about a 2-star or low 3-star player that we can possibly bring in w/o using a scholly and develop them but still be able to get them some financial help via need-based schollies and what not.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like HOPE isn't what it used to be. When I was going to school (1998-2003), a lot of out-of-state students lived in Georgia long enough to get state residency and got the HOPE scholarship for their senior year and they would brag about how they had all their tuition and books paid for. I wasn't sure if they were just over exaggerating their scholly or whether it really did pay for all their tuition and books.

Oldgoldandwhite: I recall the walk-on WR Jaime Alvarez had full-rides to other schools but came to Tech to see if he could play at the FBS level (from "The Process"). So there are guys out there who would do this. I don't think we'll get some 4-star guy doing this for us. I'm talking about a 2-star or low 3-star player that we can possibly bring in w/o using a scholly and develop them but still be able to get them some financial help via need-based schollies and what not.
I understand what you are saying, but that is what the walk on program is for. And they get more help than just HOPE. Matter of fact, if they qualify for Federal Aide, it is better than HOPE.

Animal02

Banned
When I started at Tech, out of state tuition was $700.00 a quarter, in state, there was no tuition, but about a $100 fee of some sort....(I knew some that lived at home in Atlanta and it cost them less than 1k a year to attend) At that time, an out of state student would not be recognized as a state resident unless they had lived in the state 1 full year without attending classes.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
When I started at Tech, out of state tuition was $700.00 a quarter, in state, there was no tuition, but about a $100 fee of some sort....(I knew some that lived at home in Atlanta and it cost them less than 1k a year to attend) At that time, an out of state student would not be recognized as a state resident unless they had lived in the state 1 full year without attending classes.

We wrote a check last summer for $1500.00 for our daughter to take Organic Chemistry only. We live 15 mins from campus. :(

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Back when I got Hope in 95-2000, it covered tuition to state schools, and $2500 to private colleges. At state schools, you had to maintain a 3.0, but at private you didn't.

Hope has really been better for sports like baseball who have around 12 ships for 25 players. I played baseball at a private college, so having the Hope plus partial scholarship covered almost half of the tuition.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back when I got Hope in 95-2000, it covered tuition to state schools, and $2500 to private colleges. At state schools, you had to maintain a 3.0, but at private you didn't.

Hope has really been better for sports like baseball who have around 12 ships for 25 players. I played baseball at a private college, so having the Hope plus partial scholarship covered almost half of the tuition.

Helps those sports big time.