Homer Rice passes away at 97

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wrote him a letter way back when in support of Al Ciraldo and was much gratified that he wrote me back, explaining that the decision to let him go (subsequently reversed) was not within his purview. I was surprised and much impressed by his taking time to personally respond. He didn't look down on little people (like me) and it seemed he took care of details. Obviously a very important and positive factor in the history of Georgia Tech athletics.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Swarm members may like the attached. This is a story from Homer's Book, "Lessons for Leaders". It tells the story of how Homer was recruited twice by Bobby Dodd, once as a 17-year-old
player and later as Athletic Director. Coach Dodd's first attempt failed due to Homer being called to military service before he could attend college.
I have this book and second the recommendation. Good read.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Swarm members may like the attached. This is a story from Homer's Book, "Lessons for Leaders". It tells the story of how Homer was recruited twice by Bobby Dodd, once as a 17-year-old
player and later as Athletic Director. Coach Dodd's first attempt failed due to Homer being called to military service before he could attend college.
FYI Coach Rice's memorial service will be live streamed from his memorial service on Friday June 21 at 11 am for about an hour. His wife Karen asked me to post this for the Swarm to view. Bill Curry will lead a host of speakers.

https://vimeo.com/event/4395984
1718844540058.png

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI Coach Rice's memorial service will be live streamed from his memorial service on Friday June 21 at 11 am for about an hour. His wife Karen asked me to post this for the Swarm to view. Bill Curry will lead a host of speakers.

https://vimeo.com/event/4395984
View attachment 16292

Colonel Taylor, thanks for posting this so we could see the memorial service. It was a fitting farewell to one of Georgia Tech's greatest. I thought the eulogies by Wes Durham and Bill Curry
were an excellent remembrance of Dr. Rice. Bill's reading of Bobby Cremins' message while he and his wife are on a Georgia Tech Alaskan cruise was nice and supplied a little humor. Bobby mentioned Homer's remark that "Bobby was the only coach he knew who could break an unlimited Budget". The message Bill read from Brad Yates from Hawaii was also a nice tribute.

Thanks again!

Last edited: