Hire Geoff Collins

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree with what you said about CPJ’s offense for the majority of the time he was here.

It may be fuzzy memory, but I feel like that wasn’t the case towards the end of his tenure for whatever reason. I feel like we needed a big play to score (at least against good teams) the last few years and struggled to sustain drives.

I went and checked before finishing the post. Our redzone offense CPJ’s last 4 years were:

2015: 94
2016: 53
2017: 22
2018: 85

We did have one good tear in there, but it wasn’t great. That being said, it’s been brutal since Collins has been here. FG kicking has impacted this a good bit, but being 130 and 122 in his first 2 years if just bad.

That definitely needs to improve if we’re going to start winning games consistently. We are currently at 68 and ahead of teams like Florida, BC, and NC State. Need to be closer to top 30 to be considered to have a good offense IMO.

Edit: interestingly, we were 80th in redzone offense in 2014 if you can believe that. I guess we were just so explosive that year many of our scores came on chunk plays.
My point was first down inside the 10 , not when getting to the 20.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am confused. On one hand you say that it is unacceptable for an offense to not score a TD in a game, but on the other hand you call ugag a "juggernaut" this year even though they did not score an offensive TD against Clemson (and had less yards than we did).

I also don't understand how you say ugag is a juggernaut but Clemson is not when the only difference in the game was a pick-6.
The difference is that UGA has more "juggers" than Clemson.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The reason the play did not work is because a defender was able to read it, and we were not able to execute the blocks necessary. Maybe Clemson wasn't expecting it, but their players defended it well enough to stop it. If we worked on it, we need to work harder and make sure we execute our blocks when the other team's players are ready to make a play. This is why I would prefer to have let one of our top play makers make the play. I'm not upset at the call, but I personally think we have made better goal line calls in the past.
I understand. I think it was a good call because they were looking for our "playmakers" to make the play. It's our misfortune that a senior linebacker saw something and was experienced enough to react to it and that our lineman wasn't aware enough to adjust to that movement. Had 1 Clemson player not made a great read, had 1 GT player made the appropriate block, we wouldn't be debating this. It would have either been a OT win or an OT loss.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand. I think it was a good call because they were looking for our "playmakers" to make the play. It's our misfortune that a senior linebacker saw something and was experienced enough to react to it and that our lineman wasn't aware enough to adjust to that movement. Had 1 Clemson player not made a great read, had 1 GT player made the appropriate block, we wouldn't be debating this. It would have either been a OT win or an OT loss.
OT assuming we then converted a 2 point play.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone name one thing we do offensively after 2 plus years with this staff smoothly or effectively? Just one? Every running play our RB has to juke and jive just to get back to the line of scrimmage. On pass plays our QB has little time and ends up having to improvise. I can’t think of one thing offensively we do smoothly.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Can anyone name one thing we do offensively after 2 plus years with this staff smoothly or effectively? Just one? Every running play our RB has to juke and jive just to get back to the line of scrimmage. On pass plays our QB has little time and ends up having to improvise. I can’t think of one thing offensively we do smoothly.
Seems like the last two games we have seen Yates establishing a role with rolling out of the pocket and finding short or intermediate passing targets with fairly high success. So that maybe?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think playing within a TD of Clemson, and having a chance inside their 10 in the last minute, isn't an accomplishment....well, I don't know what to say.

Look, frankly I dislike Collins for the coach babble he speaks. And the jury is still out, certainly. But you have to give credit where it is due.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

I can't think of a single thing.

/

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I did not see anything wrong with our huddles against Clemson (except when the subs were sent in and the play was not down on the goal line).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Edit: interestingly, we were 80th in redzone offense in 2014 if you can believe that. I guess we were just so explosive that year many of our scores came on chunk plays.
I can’t seem to verify this right now but I think I remember seeing a stat that we were near the top in 50+ yard plays that year. And it seems like the stat was for all plays of 50+ yards, not just rushing.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
My point was first down inside the 10 , not when getting to the 20.
Do you honestly think it was that different? You might be right, but I remember thinking we needed to hit a big play to score towards then end of CPJ's tenure here.

Once JT left, we were very limited in what we could do and I felt like defense started playing us different and made us earn our way down the field to score. And I feel like we struggled to do it. Same thing once we got inside the 10. I could be wrong, but feel like scoring in the redone or goal to go situations have been an issue like FG kicking has the last several years (including pre Collins).

JT and before, I felt like we scored almost any time inside the 10.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I blame our it all on the o-line. Until that gets fixed we won’t be an elite offense. I’m very disappointed in our o line and oline coaching. Not sure where the problem lies, but these new guys on the line have got to be coached up if we hope to score enough to keep up with modern high power offenses. And for gods sake learn how to make a good shotgun snap.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I blame our it all on the o-line. Until that gets fixed we won’t be an elite offense. I’m very disappointed in our o line and oline coaching. Not sure where the problem lies, but these new guys on the line have got to be coached up if we hope to score enough to keep up with modern high power offenses. And for gods sake learn how to make a good shotgun snap.
Fans get mad at coaches, coaches get mad at players, players get mad at fans.

The cycle doesn’t matter.

Who gets paid to run a winning program?

Only one guy making $3m.

Since when it acceptable for a millionaire to fail at his job?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think playing within a TD of Clemson, and having a chance inside their 10 in the last minute, isn't an accomplishment....well, I don't know what to say.

Look, frankly I dislike Collins for the coach babble he speaks. And the jury is still out, certainly. But you have to give credit where it is due.
Listen, I’m tired of the “it’s Clemson” garbage. For this year Clemson is not what they have been. They are ranked 11th because most folks realize their offense just sucks. We lost to the worse Clemson team in a decade and some of you are feeling good about it. Clemson did everything to lose that game and we still couldn’t win. I really think you should step back and realize that we lost a close game to a not top ten team and yet we should feel satisfied. Are you kidding? And by the way in 60 minutes of football we scored 2 field goals on offense. How anyone feels good about that I just don’t understand.