Hill is still trying

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Charlotte Observer has a piece today on Stephen Hill, doing well in camp for the Panthers. Can't paste it for some reason, but it's a good read. I hope he makes it back if for no other reason than to give GT another big WR in the league.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Carolina Panthers WR Stephen Hill flashes potential again

One of the biggest post-practice media scrums Thursday formed around a wide receiver with a history of dropped passes who spent last season on the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad.

Stephen Hill’s size and speed have always enticed both fans and coaches. So when Hill pulled in three deep balls during Thursday’s OTA session, beating starting cornerback Josh Norman on one of them, he drew a crowd afterward.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article22528977.html

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

One of the biggest post-practice media scrums Thursday formed around a wide receiver with a history of dropped passes who spent last season on the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad.

Stephen Hill’s size and speed have always enticed both fans and coaches. So when Hill pulled in three deep balls during Thursday’s OTA session, beating starting cornerback Josh Norman on one of them, he drew a crowd afterward.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article22528977.html

Louis (now just Lou apparently) Young gets a mention.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always thought that Hill would do ok if he was on a team that actually had a, you know, QB. The "quarterbacks" for the Jets while he was there were both physically and mentally (especially that) incapable of playing the position in a pro offense. His only problem is what it has always been: concentration on every ball. That's what made Calvin and BeBe such great receivers. Being big and fast is just a start. I also hope he does well enough to stick on the regular roster and shows that his talent deserves to be on the field. That'll be up to Hill, just like it is now with Waller.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I'm glad you could link it. Proves that not only can I not gamble, I cannot link either. I have a vast repertoire of things I cannot do apparently.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hill is as physically gifted as any WR in the NFL...that's why he's lasted this long and got drafted in the 2nd round after showing modest production in college. Hill's problem isn't physical talent, it's matching production to that talent.

Dude will make a ridiculous catch one play, and neutralize it with a ridiculous drop of what should be a routine catch.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Glad to hear he was given another chance! He really didnt have a Qb in NY.
I too am glad he is hanging in there. But his problem, whether in NY or Atlanta, was not the QB. While I don't follow the NFL all that much I am not at all familiar with the Jets' pitchers, but Washington was a terrible passer. His problem was as Techster just said: he would make the 60-foot putt and then miss the gimme. After it was given.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Hill is as physically gifted as any WR in the NFL

To add to that point, Stephen Hill's combine/pro-days numbers are the second most comparable to Calvin Johnson's, per http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/1573/ (I may not fully understand their comparision measurment, but you get the idea).

Interesting side bit, Deandre Smelter's #2 comparison was Bebe (may be skewed because there are no agility/speed #s for smelter). Waller had no GT paring in his comparison, although he wasn't in bad company (Mike Evans, Michael Floyd, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, and DGB). #WRU

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wish Stephen the best. Hopefully on a "decent" team, he will be able to put it together and paly a few years in the league.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
His problem with the Jets was the same as his problem at Tech. He'd make some amazing catches and excite the fans, but then go and drop the easy ones.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
His other problem when he was with the Jets is that he set the bar pretty high the first game he played in. I believe it was against the bills and he had like 4 catches for 88 yards and 2 tds. One of his td catches was a sportscenter highlight reel.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I said when he was shooting up the draft boards, "I hope he shows out, but I think whoever drafts him is gonna be sadly disappointed", and his flaws get blamed on the offense he played in college "he's raw coming out of GT and the triple option."

Pretty much all big fast receivers are raw coming out of college because they don't really need superb route running ability. Hills problem was that he couldn't catch, but you can't coach size and speed and he does have that. He could be good with a lot of work on his hands, maybe he has done that.