Heupel from UCF hired at UT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Drama free? Uh, if they were able to fire their HC for cause and avoid a buyout due to recruiting violations in the SEC, TN's about to get jackhammered.

IIUC, this guy basically followed the former UCF AD to Knoxville so he's probably the only coach that believed he won't be fired as he takes them through their upcoming probation.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Extremely underwhelming hire.

Let's look at UCF's record and recruiting the last 3 years.

2018: 12-1 (62nd ranked recruiting class)
2019: 10-3 (60th)
2020: 6-4 (75th)

He hasn't been able to build on what Frost had left him, and I'd argue he left the program in a worse place than when he came in.

Rumor mill says this was like their 5th choice. The upcoming sanctions are so big that no good coach will touch them with a 10 ft pole.

He's a placeholder coach until the sanctions end.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Drama free? Uh, if they were able to fire their HC for cause and avoid a buyout due to recruiting violations in the SEC, TN's about to get jackhammered.

IIUC, this guy basically followed the former UCF AD to Knoxville so he's probably the only coach that believed he won't be fired as he takes them through their upcoming probation.
Didn't think of that.........:oops:......ohhh:poop:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Announcement was putting lipstick on a pig........
sad steve buscemi GIF

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Not really sold on Heupal but im also not sure that Tennessee could have done much better. Seems like it fits. Had UCF gone 9-1 this year I doubt Heupal even takes that job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Extremely underwhelming hire.

Let's look at UCF's record and recruiting the last 3 years.

2018: 12-1 (62nd ranked recruiting class)
2019: 10-3 (60th)
2020: 6-4 (75th)

He hasn't been able to build on what Frost had left him, and I'd argue he left the program in a worse place than when he came in.

Rumor mill says this was like their 5th choice. The upcoming sanctions are so big that no good coach will touch them with a 10 ft pole.

He's a placeholder coach until the sanctions end.

Per rivals, their recruiting rankings since 2018 were 67, 52, 58, & 60. That's pretty in line with the 4 years prior (53, 57, 63, 73) Three of their 4 losses this year came against ranked opponents. They aren't world beaters, but they are a very well coached team. Considering the stigma surrounding the UT job atm, Heupel is probably as solid a coach as they could get right now.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Another embarrassment. They hired the best Non Power 5 AD from UCF, spent 120,000 on a search firm during a pandemic just for him to bring his guy with him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think you meant to say that Tennessee Tech will get jackhammered. UNC has already proven that you don't need to worry about silly things like classes, and LSU has shown that handing out money on the sidelines on national TV merely gets a slap on the wrist....I am sure UT will find a way to navigate through this with only nominal penalties since they have cleaned up their act (wink, wink). TT on the other hand probably left someone's phone number at the local Wendy's and will get buggered for it.....all the while self-reporting and begging forgiveness.