Heat Index and game time - NCAA

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Do we think the NCAA, ACC, SEC will look into a "option" for games to be moved to an evening game due to heat index over 95 degrees?

I know high school teams have to cancel outside practices when the heat I DeX is over a certain point.

I stayed the entire game, but in section 101 a man was unconscious for over 10 minutes from heat complications. Another woman passed out, and I was told by an EMT while leaving that 7 people were transported to the hospital due to heat complications.

This is no excuse for me. I prepare by hydrating and wearing proper protection, but I'm also only 28 yrs old.

These people were mostly over 50.

Imagine if we were all suffering how bad the players have it in full pads, a helmet, and running around.

This just seems like a complete disservice to the players and fans alike to not look out for their well being.

I'd hope the NCAA, ACC, SEC, and schools alike would push for a heat option that a game cannot be played when the heat index is above 95 degrees as that is extremely dangerous for those in moderate health.

I'd like to get this moving. I don't suffer from this, but it was ridiculous Saturday. I saw 3 ambulances take people away. One man in his 40s left on a stretcher due to heat and diabetic issues.

Animal02

Banned
Do we think the NCAA, ACC, SEC will look into a "option" for games to be moved to an evening game due to heat index over 95 degrees?

I know high school teams have to cancel outside practices when the heat I DeX is over a certain point.

I stayed the entire game, but in section 101 a man was unconscious for over 10 minutes from heat complications. Another woman passed out, and I was told by an EMT while leaving that 7 people were transported to the hospital due to heat complications.

This is no excuse for me. I prepare by hydrating and wearing proper protection, but I'm also only 28 yrs old.

Imagine if we were all suffering how bad the players have it in full pads, a helmet, and running around.

This just seems like a complete disservice to the players and fans alike to not look out for their well being.

I'd hope the NCAA, ACC, SEC, and schools alike would push for a heat option that a game cannot be played when the heat index is above 95 degrees as that is extremely dangerous for those in moderate health.

I'd like to get this moving. I don't suffer from this, but it was ridiculous Saturday. I saw 3 ambulances take people away. One man in his 40s left on a stretcher due to heat and diabetic issues.
I doubt ESPN will go for it.......their TV schedules are far more important (to them) than any concern about fans or players for that matter.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

They could not start the season each year until 15 Sep, it would in most years help.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I doubt ESPN will go for it.......their TV schedules are far more important (to them) than any concern about fans or players for that matter.

I think it should be driven by the NCAA. Saying no game can be played over a certain heat index.

ESPN will have to deal. They won't walk away from college football because of a weather issue

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think it should be driven by the NCAA. Saying no game can be played over a certain heat index.

ESPN will have to deal. They won't walk away from college football because of a weather issue

I (and the players and coaches) do not want to be the victim of cancelled games but am in favor of scheduling later afternoon and night games in hot weather.

I am 75, and I sit in the upper east. Yes, it was bad, but I really didn't know how bad it was until I headed back to my car. I had no problems at all during the game (thank God), but that walk back was BRUTAL. I was completely drained. Although, thanks to a good car-mate with whom I could talk the entire way home, I had no problems during the drive either. But it was only this morning, after two good nights' sleep and a LONG nap yesterday afternoon that I felt fully recovered. Southern schools and/or the NCAA should have acted on this issue a LONG LONG time ago. I doubt that TV will let them get away with addressing it now though......dammit.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I (and the players and coaches) do not want to be the victim of cancelled games but am in favor of scheduling later afternoon and night games in hot weather.

I doubt games would be canceled. Just worry more about player and fans safety than money. Hard to do I know.

It takes one good lawsuit. And boom we are playing mostly night games in September

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Back in the good old days, the season didn't start until around the 20th of September.
I wish they would try kicking off just one experimental early-season game at 3 am.
TV should love it. They still get the good ratings during the day for all the other games, and get record ratings for the 3 am slot.
Imagine dawn breaking just before the final gun, and everybody heading off to breakfast.
How cool (literally) would that be?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Drad and braine used to tell the acc and tv emphatically games in September he wanted night as much as possible for this reason. When paul came, paul told rad and bobinski he wanted noon games as much as tv would allow for.

I know tv ultimately controls the times. They own the final decision. But for schools to act like they can’t push it is dumb.

In general we have acc schools in more mild climates on a normal September. BC. Cuse is indoor. Uva. Even the raleigh area can be more moderate. No reason we cant find ways to get the florida georgia clemson etc at night at least the first 2-3 weeks of the season. Thats all we are looking at

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20190909-142921_The Weather Channel.jpg

Notice how much it drops at 8PM. This is true for almost every day when the heat index is over 95 during the day. Bump the games to 8PM and play.

They do it for "severe" weather. They should consider this severe

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I'm 26, and I still felt pretty fatigued for a good 24 hours after sitting through that whole game. Certainly wish there were something we could do. Hopefully some of the Mercedes-Benz Stadium games that haven't been determined yet will be September games (Clemson on Labor Day in 2022 has already been confirmed). Would be the best time to take advantage.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

ESPN already broadcasts almost every FBS game through one of their many many platforms. Finding a MAC or BIG10 game to play at noon vs an $EC or ACC team playing an FCS team should break them about even.