Head Coaching Philosophy

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I bring this up because I've seen several posts regarding Ted Roof and how people would feel in a hypothetical where Coach Paul Johnson retired and Coach Ted Roof were made the head coach in a CEO-like and recruiting-coordinator-type capacity (a scenario that I am 100% opposed to, by the way, and I think Coach Roof's head coaching record speaks for itself on that) where Coach Roof would run the bigger program operations and recruit players while the assistant coaches did the heavy-work in coaching and game-managing

We will soon have a case study to compare to in order to judge how this strategy would work out. Arizona State just hired their new head coach, Herm Edwards, and released the following announcement (expand the quote below to read the full statement):

As someone else put it, this is the quick translation of the above wordy jargon: "Herm Edwards will be the face of the program (CEO) which will help recruit players and retain coaching talent but because he is a failed strategic coach, he will delegate full control of operations to his assistants."

I personally am skeptical regarding this approach, but soon enough we'll have the ability to judge whether it would work in a real-life scenario. Obviously, what prompted this is the discussion surrounding a similar hypothetical situation with Coach Ted Roof, so I'll finish with these questions to you posters: if Georgia Tech were to go in this approach, do you think it would fail or succeed? Would Coach Ted Roof be the best candidate for this position? Would you be in support of such an approach?
This is a cheap, poorly explained and clearly misunderstood knockoff of the principles laid out in the book "Legacy", about the legendary All Blacks (rugby team) of New Zealand, "to reveal 15 powerful and practical lessons for leadership and business." But as explained by ASU, I wouldn't do it either.

If there is an MBA on the board, he or she studied this book by James Kerr as mandatory reading. If not, turn in your MBA.

From the Amazon book page:

"Legacy is a unique, inspiring handbook for leaders in all fields, and asks: What are the secrets of success - sustained success? How do you achieve world-class standards, day after day, week after week, year after year? How do you handle pressure? How do you train to win at the highest level? What do you leave behind you after you're gone?"

Champions do extra.
They sweep the sheds.
They are good ancestors.

The book is 13 bucks. The lessons can be used and imparted in every business and vocation, from coaching to GE -- to classroom teaching. Will it work in "real life scenario"? it does every day. Will it work in building and sustaining a football program? Now as usual that depends on who is doing it and how committed they are. But the answer is yes. Unarguably.

Three words:

Dabo Swinney. Clemson.

ASU is stealing his song. Badly, and the coach and AD will be gone in three years and Dabo will be at Clemson as long as he wants.

How in the world did Clemson get to where it is? Three times in the NC and yet still stacked with seemingly dozens of 4-5 star underclassmen going forward and a quality, highly paid stable coaching staff? An administration that, from the president down to the trainer, is fully committed, financing included, to the continuing excellence of the program? From a middlin' ACC program to being a NC contender every year?

It partially explains why player after player spoke after winning the NC to thank "all the players" before them for "getting us here." Why after one of the most bitter defeats of his career, including that thrashing in Atlanta a few years ago, one that potentially took Clemson out of the NC picture, he went to the Syracuse dressing room this season to congratulate them. ("Win with class. Lose with class.") Swinney's caution that, "You didn't do this by yourself," won't resonate with capitalists, except he is one. Go figure.

Clearly it can't be explained in a few grafs on a football message board, or in a ridiculously press release from ASU that really is kind of ignorant. Would it work at GT? That has to be answered with the question, would GT be committed to it? Based on its current level of support, we know the answer to that.

This is long. Sorry. I struggle with some of it, but ASU has either created something entirely new and different or has botched it badly. And seriously, if you were implementing a program like this, would you name a 63-year-old failed NFL coach and ESPN talking head to do it?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Depends on finances.

Paul Johnson makes $3000K. It is said that Roof makes $800K.

If Roof became the HC at $1300K , then we still have $2500 K to hire an OC and an DC. We could hire some good talent at $1250K each, and not spend any more than we are spending now.
Two things...

1) Good luck finding anybody worth a flip, Roof included, who would willingly take a HC job at a P5 school with a $1.3M/year salary. The market passed that kinda money by several years ago. There are multiple coaches at G5 schools that make more than that.

2) You want to pay the OC and DC almost the same money you're paying the HC??? Once again, good luck finding someone to sign up for that HC job.

Regarding the Herm Edwards and ASU deal, I'm certain that ASU will be looking for another HC within the next 4-5 years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was just about to say this. This sounds similar to Dabo Swinney at Clemson. Anybody watch the game against Miami? The little he does have control over in terms of actual play calling is always an adventure. With time running out in the first half, its 4th down. Clemson has the ball on their own 6. They have 2 timeouts. Instead of calling a timeout with 3 seconds left, and then running a 4th down play to run the clock out, Dabo intentionally lets the clock hit 2 seconds (at which time the play clock hits 0), and they get a delay of game penalty. Now there are 2 seconds left instead of 3 (big deal), but, now they have to hike the ball from inside their own 3 yard line. By going with a shotgun formation like they do, now Kelly Bryant is receiving the hike 3 yards deep into the end zone. That was an unnecessary risk based on nothing other than a lack of understanding of football.

Here is the sequence of events if you want to watch it:

Wow. Just wow. Clemson 38. Miami 3. Clemson in 3 NC playoffs, runnerup once, NC once, one to be determined. I write this one down as the most uninformed post of the fading year. While we display such superior football knowledge, he is the one doing all the winning. Envy by any other name.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Having a stud qb goes a long way to having a successful offense. Just look no further than JT. We hit the lottery when he decided to decommit from Bammer and join our merry band. Everybody knew it at the time he committed, we didn't have to wait and see. Each and every recruiting season after that one, I kept asking myself: "did we win the lottery again at this position?" We might have with the kid who fell off the 4 wheeler, but we'll never know. After that, I never felt we did, it was always wait and see or did we get lucky. We need to hit the lottery again and soon.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. Just wow. Clemson 38. Miami 3. Clemson in 3 NC playoffs, runnerup once, NC once, one to be determined. I write this one down as the most uninformed post of the fading year. While we display such superior football knowledge, he is the one doing all the winning. Envy by any other name.

You do realize that Clemson's organizational structure does in fact look very similar to Arizona State's don't you? You do realize that Clemson employs the top assistant coaches in the country don't you? Before you have an emotional outburst because your gut tells you one thing, you should take a few minutes and actually research the information before responding. For example, you do realize that Dabo does not call any plays - offensive or defensive - don't you? In fact, the backup guys that help with the assistants with their play calling aren't named Dabo either. The fact that Clemson is winning a lot of games has no bearing on the actual subject at hand. In fact, it supports it. It is the very argument we're making.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that Clemson's organizational structure does in fact look very similar to Arizona State's don't you? You do realize that Clemson employs the top assistant coaches in the country don't you? Before you have an emotional outburst because your gut tells you one thing, you should take a few minutes and actually research the information before responding. For example, you do realize that Dabo does not call any plays - offensive or defensive - don't you? In fact, the backup guys that help with the assistants with their play calling aren't named Dabo either. The fact that Clemson is winning a lot of games has no bearing on the actual subject at hand. In fact, it supports it. It is the very argument we're making.
Ah, for god's sake. Your first point is exactly the point I made: Swinney adopted that years ago and is now where he is ... at the top. And yes, he pays a bunch for assistants. It's how he gets 'em. Don't you get it yet? It is part and parcel of the "Legacy" philosophy and the "Clemson culture" they talk about: everybody, administration included, buys in. In this case, with money. Dabo does in fact call some offensive plays, but if he doesn't, then that is great preparation. (Why do you think he keeps that play chart in his hand?) Defense, not much. You reach the inevitable conclusion that a HC has no game involvement. Might as well stay home. Wow. Just wow.

Deleted member 2897

You reach the inevitable conclusion that a HC has no game involvement.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said that.

You are getting me confused. At first you said my post was the most uninformed of the year. Then when I pointed out that I said the same thing you did, you now respond that my first point is exactly the point you made. This is getting silly. Stop trying to get so offended about everything. When I said Dabo is more of a figurehead, that doesn't imply he doesn't do anything. He's the leader, the CEO, the head recruiter, the emotional firebrand. I never said he just stands there, and neither will Herm Edwards. I'm merely pointing out that building an organizational structure where a guy that is good at recruiting and being team CEO hires the best assistant coaches to run the games is the exact model in place at Clemson and it works.

Now if you'd like to actually disagree with that opinion enough to refute it with any counter arguments, I'm all ears. But just hurling insults that the opinion is uninformed, stupid (yet somehow agrees with you) doesn't move the ball forward on these message boards.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

You are getting me confused. At first you said my post was the most uninformed of the year. Then when I pointed out that I said the same thing you did, you now respond that my first point is exactly the point you made. This is getting silly. Stop trying to get so offended about everything. When I said Dabo is more of a figurehead, that doesn't imply he doesn't do anything. He's the leader, the CEO, the head recruiter, the emotional firebrand. I never said he just stands there, and neither will Herm Edwards. I'm merely pointing out that building an organizational structure where a guy that is good at recruiting and being team CEO hires the best assistant coaches to run the games is the exact model in place at Clemson and it works.

Now if you'd like to actually disagree with that opinion enough to refute it with any counter arguments, I'm all ears. But just hurling insults that the opinion is uninformed, stupid (yet somehow agrees with you) doesn't move the ball forward on these message boards.

This model is also the one that Bowden used at FSU and many HC's use in the nfl.

They key to it is you have to have money to fund the support necessary to do it. Dabo fought hard and long for that support, he got it and its paid off.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Oh, read the book and you'll get it.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
UCF just did what I had posted earlier. Promoted their OC who is a long time OC/QB Coach and then use the difference to hire a great DC. It isn't the best method (see how CPJ talks about how he can't coach everyone so his assistants have to be successful independently), but it is the most efficient way to use your resources as a smaller school.