Head Coach Wars: A New Role-Playing Game

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One of the reasons I went with 5 for Development is that I fear right now we have a reputation of stagnating the talent we have on hand.
Nothing that is taking place at GT is going to influence the decisions of kids considering Tech 2-3 years from now I would imagine (thank the good Lord above!). This of course assumes there has been a coaching staff change. What is taking place now is a one off situation. To an 18 year old teen, the events of 2-3 years ago is a lifetime away.

I am going to stick with my answer. IMO, Gibbs is not a better pro prospect this year than he was last year, despite getting infinitely better coaching. The kids that go to Bama to get to the next level were going to the league anyways, even if they had signed with Bethune Cookman or Rhode Island.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Nothing that is taking place at GT is going to influence the decisions of kids considering Tech 2-3 years from now I would imagine (thank the good Lord above!). This of course assumes there has been a coaching staff change. What is taking place now is a one off situation. To an 18 year old teen, the events of 2-3 years ago is a lifetime away.

I am going to stick with my answer. IMO, Gibbs is not a better pro prospect this year than he was last year, despite getting infinitely better coaching. The kids that go to Bama to get to the next level were going to the league anyways, even if they had signed with Bethune Cookman or Rhode Island.
What you lose on 14-17yo kids is a diminishing level of interest that's hard to overcome when your program is seen to be troubled. When we're being openly mocked on a wide variety of platforms, yes a coaching change is the only solution.

I actually think so far Gibbs draft stock is down because of Bama. He's got no excuses for his performance now. That being said, the NFL is all about measurables. Top trainers once the season is over will work with Gibbs for the combine & that will determine how much boost he gets in the draft. He's likely end of 3rd round at this point probably, may have been a solid 2nd rounder here as everyone would have blamed GT's pitiful line for him not producing more but the weak schedule we have would have allowed more highlight reel plays for him. A double edged sword for sure. He better have some good games at some point and shore up his blocking if he wants to move up the draft board

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I was reading the “Is there news (no news)” thread, looking for insightful post (yes, there really are some good posts in that thread, if you wade through enough BS), and I saw this one by RamblinRed (abbreviated here, but the whole dang post is worth a read…):

A bit further on, I saw this:

Both posts got me thinking…if you could assign a numerical score in each area—Recruiting, Development, and (game day) Coaching, what would you choose? And then I thought, since you are assigning numbers, make it a role-playing game, like D&D. You know…set key attributes for a character that define their abilities.

In D&D, each attribute is determined randomly in a 3-18 range, by the sum of 3 dice. God forbid we rely on that mechanism for creating a Head Coach character. What if you roll a 15 for Recruiting, and 5s for both Development and Coaching? (Can you imagine what that would be like?;))

I thought instead: what if you used the other, zero-sum, RPG character-creation mechanism: give the player a fixed number of attribute points, and let them split those starting point however they choose.

So here is the College Football Coach RPG character generation rules:
  1. You get 12 attributes points for your HC, to be split among three categories: Recruiting, Development, and Coaching. That’s it, 12 points. You are building a Level-1 P5 coach (all we can afford right now), not a Level-20 Saban-caliber coaching master.
  2. Each category gets a minimum of one point.
  3. We are talking about the HC’s skill in each area, not how successful the program as a whole is in each area. The idea is, what distribution of the three skill does the HC bring to the table as a starting point for building the program?
  4. No monkey business about assistant coaches. You can’t give your HC a 10 in some category with the assumption that your OC or DC will make up the deficit in other categories. This is all about your HC defining your program.
With those guide rules, we can identify the three “archetype” head coaches:

The Recruitinator (10-1-1)
This young, energetic, and immensely charismatic coach is a real charmer. With a few words and a smile, he can convince every potential recruit that they are NFL bound—but only if they join HIS program. He is also a master of dirty recruiting tactics, often tricking fans of other teams into negative-recruiting their own program.

Favorite Strategy: At away games, the Recruitinator likes to casually stroll by the fan section hosting his opponent’s visiting recruits, poaching 2 or 3 of the best ones on the spot.

Special Ability: Once per recruiting season, he may helicopter to anywhere in the continental US, and immediately extract a Letter of Commitment from a 5-star who was not even considering his program.

Weakness: Gameday—specifically, anything after the team walkthrough. On the sidelines, give him a headset not connected to anything and stand him as close as possible to the section with visiting recruits. Have assistants constantly rushing up to him with clipboards, pretend to receive sage advice from him, and rush away again. It will help him impress the recruits, while keeping him out of the way of the real business. DO NOT let him attempt to call a time out (see: the Gameday Wizard), and make sure you have a Get-Bak Coach to pull him away any time he approaches within 15 yards of a game official.

Vulnerabilities: His immense charisma leaves him prone to womanizing. Keep him away from female assistants/trainers, the other coaches’s wives, and any of the women’s sport teams. Basically, don’t leave him alone in a room with anything that breathes.

The Hoss Whisperer (1-10-1)
This coach turns 2-star recruits into 4-star players, 3-star recruits into 5-star players, and 4-star recruits into…well…you DID see the Recruiting attribute of “1”, didn’t you? He doesn’t get 4- or 5-star recruits…not that he ever needs them.

Favorite Strategy: Punting on first down. The Hoss Whisperer fields a team of players who have become Total Ballers, excelling at having no game plan. What better play call than a special teams extravaganza, to make you players‘ havok potential work for you? Surprisingly, they score on half their punts.

Special Ability: Once per game, he can call one player aside for a pep-talk. For that player the true meaning of football will come through, and he will gain the strength of ten Grinches, plus two…but only for the remainder of that quarter.

Weakness: Defending the Triple Option. Sure, we all know the blueprint for defeating the TO: just play assignment football. But when your team is filled with Total Ballers, asking them to “play assignment football” is like asking an Eskimo to shear a sheep with a banana.

Vulnerability: The NFL Draft. His player development is so legendary that the NFL grants everyone on his team an eligibility waiver, allowing them to be drafted as early as their freshman year.

The Gameday Wizard (1-1-10)
This coach is the ultimate competitor, and a mastermind of the Xs and Os of football. He has also mastered every strategy known to mankind. Sun-Tzu? An amateur. Frederick the Great? A hack. Mister Spock? Can beat him at 3D chess in three moves. Usually makes his halftime adjustments on the fly, during the coin-toss.

Favorite strategy: Scoring on the first play from scrimmage, based on a weakness he observed during the other team’s warmups.

Special Ability: Once per game, he can trick the other team into calling a timeout, rather than using one of his own.

Weakness: Practice. The players at his disposal are exclusively 2-star, and are not likely to get better no matter how many reps they get. The Game Wizard would win every game by 5 or more touchdowns, if only he could get his #*$@%! players to execute, dammit!

Vulnerability: Ironically, tic-tac-toe.

Okay, with those archetypes set, how would YOU distribute the attribute points for YOUR preferred (starting-level) HC? I’m guessing bobongo would go heavy on Recruiting—he sees it as paramount, after all. Would he choose to go all the way to the Recruitinator archetype? Probably not—but I’d be interested to hear how he’d split his 12 points…

Me? I’d probably go 3-5-4. I want to see a rough balance in all areas, but I’m willing to sacrifice some recruiting skill in favor of player development and game day coaching. Recruiting talent is really important, but I figure that having a reputation for developing players—and having game-day coaching that elevates your W/L ratio—can bring in talent based on the program‘s reputation, regardless of the coach’s ability to directly woo recruits.

At least, that’s the way I see it. How would you distribute your 12 attribute points, to create your ideal Level-1 P5 head coach?
I think this may be the most Georgia Tech post I've ever read. And I LOVE IT COMPLETELY!!! You win the internet today!!!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Our main problem is we perceive we've got a good recruiter, but a good recruiter looks more like Chan than Ge0ff. Chan looked at a kid that few if anyone else wanted & saw the NFL player, had a nose for the diamond in the rough. Chan's entire liability as a college football coach was QB & his NFL coach type personality. Last 4 coaches, 3 have been good at this & this one's a dud. We're trying to recruit the top talent in numbers, a poor plan for GT. We need a bunch of diamonds in the rough, the right diamons in the rough. Ge0ff has 1 hit & he couldn't hold onto him. He runs after the shiny object everyone is is running after & maybe even after they've run away from it realizing it was cubic zirconium & not diamond.The rest seem to be reaches or we're really bad at the next 2 items.

Chan's staff developed players.They did a good job for the most part. Last 2 coaches are/were lacking, previous 2 good jobs. Johnson's guys might have been too far away from NFL talent. You could argue he developed what he had expertly.

Game day. 2 of last 4 coaches are horrendous. Chan too conservative, Ge0ff out of his league. Johnson was a master as was Fridge, O'Leary gets the credit here but the guy who executed was Fridge and it's clear as day. O'Laeary was allegedly a defensive guru & his D's were the only reason we didn't do better.

We probably have a 4-4-4 situation. All legs of the stool at GT need to function otherwise we tank.
I agree with you about O'Leary, always thought the reason for his not so good defenses when our HC was he had a deal with the Fridge to show case his offense to try and get him a HC job and it worked. My belief, it was how O'Leary got Ralph to come be our OC.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So how often do they gain experience and how many points do they gain per level?

Assuming that we gain xp fairly regularly (2-4 attribute points at the end of each year) then I would want a 2-6-4 initial build and I would probably progress the build as follows (assumes 2 attribute points per season)

Year 1: 2-6-4
Year 2: 3-6-5
Year 3: 4-7-5
Year 4: 5-8-5
Year 5: 5-9-6

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think this may be the most Georgia Tech post I've ever read. And I LOVE IT COMPLETELY!!! You win the internet today!!!
I was about to post this exact same thing and then read yours!
This problem has no good solution if we only get 12 points. I'd go 4-4-4 since anything less per category is seriously below average if I am calibrating things right. With 4-4-4 we may have some winning seasons but would need to have some good fortune to have a great season in a given year.

Georgia Tech Fan
Gibbs has been named Alabama's player of the week 2 out of 3 weeks by something called Alabama Red whatever that is.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gibbs has been named Alabama's player of the week 2 out of 3 weeks by something called Alabama Red whatever that is.
Is that because of the great coaching he is getting over there or is it the God given ability he was given? I say it is the latter. Which is why I rate recruiting the higher of the three.