HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, I wonder if O’brien would consider being OC here under Key? He’s def a goner at Bama and his NFL job prospects would probably be a position coach at best or an analyst. O’brien learned under Fridge and averaged 31 points per game the year after Fridge left. Hopefully Key would ask him to get that Fridge playbook back out.

There's a strong rumor O'Brien will be New England Patriot's OC if he doesn't get a HFC job.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
yes a 7-6 record is bad

Yes the hard number is not good, but not bad. Yet, in an underfunded program not able to win more than 2 or 3 games… the number is significantly hirer.

I don’t like the number too, yet turning water into wine is already taken.

Can’t help but wonder if Fritos OC change this year made the difference and can we still him?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes the hard number is not good, but not bad. Yet, in an underfunded program not able to win more than 2 or 3 games… the number is significantly hirer.

Can’t help but wonder if Fritos OC change this year made the difference and can we still him?

I'm thinking voice-to-text translation failed you on this one... LOL

Once I interpreted it though, I agree with what I (think) you are saying. :ROFLMAO:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, I wonder if O’brien would consider being OC here under Key? He’s def a goner at Bama and his NFL job prospects would probably be a position coach at best or an analyst. O’brien learned under Fridge and averaged 31 points per game the year after Fridge left. Hopefully Key would ask him to get that Fridge playbook back out.
I think O'brien wants back in the NFL, the Patriots are looking at him now.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He wouldnt be a position coach at best in the NFL. He would likely have multiple OC options in the NFL with an outside chance at a HC position. You guys really undervalue O'Brien for some reason.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
If we're interviewing coaches still that have championship games to play are we interviewing Todd Monken, or do we believe he will be looking for better jobs?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

People would be surprised how many good coaches/OC candidates there are outside of FBS football or working smaller roles in the NFL. Svoboda (Tulane's OC) was at Central Missouri before Tulane.

Chip Kelly was at New Hampshire before Oregon plucked him away to become OC.
Joe Brady was a lowly offensive assistant (clipboard holder, film reviewer) at New Orleans before leading LSU's high powered offense with Joe Burrough.
Mike Yurcich was at Shippensburg before becoming OK State's OC, and now OC for Penn State.

Those are just ones off the top of my head.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Not really, 2.5 with incentives. Then why is he talking to us if our job is so "unattractive"?
Who says he is? He also spoke with VT, TCU, South Carolina, Tennessee and Auburn.

And his contract is $1M with incentives, which right now, pay him $2.3M with full university support. That's $3.3M along with a six year contract that Tech would have to honor. Along with his staff.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don’t forget Donovaughn Campbell. We could get his cousin back as an insider

Oooh, old skool. Respeck.

Maury Povich Nod GIF by The Maury Show

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
There's some rumblings on the Tulane board that the guy Tech is interviewing today is Troy's HC Jon Sumrall. Definitely take it with a grain of salt but....Apparently Batt gave Fritz an ultimatum about getting his butt over here or getting stuff going in the portal and he backed out.