HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The old boys club at GT LOVE O'Leary. Remember them bringing O'Leary back for his day in the sun shortly after Collins was hired? They are the ones pushing hard for Key right now.

From what I understand, all the supposed "drama" going on right now has a lot to do with them. There is no drama...Batt is conducting a coaching search, and he's keeping things on a need to know basis. The old boys club think they need to know, and they want more influence in the process. It appears they are not getting it, so certain parties are making a stink. Hopefully certain people don't F this up for GT.

It's all really silly. Let Batt do his job.
Are these the same knuckleheads that forced Ted Roof on us the 2nd time?

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's been known for a while now that Key was being pushed by a certain group of donors. Key would be "donor friendly" to them (access to information inside the program, a large say in what happens, etc). Key, they feel, would continue the status quo of letting a group of donors have an outsized role in what happens.

FWIW, I've heard that Key is stuck in the middle of all of this. He's not pushing anyone to push for him. He's seriously focused on the players and coaching them up.
It sounds like the GTAA has been run by immature children for far too long. The fact that Cabrera went after Greene for AD at least in some capacity says that he gets that. Part of Batt’s charge as a fundraising guru should be to patch the revenue hole if these children take their ball and go home.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Also if Batt is keeping things silent and requiring Need to Know, how are they making a push? Just calling the GTAA and screaming at whoever picks up?

What? How does him keeping things to himself prevent others from talking to him? He's going to interact with donors regardless even if he isn't sharing information.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Also if Batt is keeping things silent and requiring Need to Know, how are they making a push? Just calling the GTAA and screaming at whoever picks up?
Don't give some people any ideas.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like the GTAA has been run by immature children for far too long. The fact that Cabrera went after Greene for AD at least in some capacity says that he gets that. Part of Batt’s charge as a fundraising guru should be to patch the revenue hole if these children take their ball and go home.

Cabrera didn't go after Greene...Greene wasn't even part of the equation for our AD position.

That's where Parker Executive comes into play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Big $ boys need to let Batt do his thing. That’s why he got hired.

I have a sick feeling Batt has a good coach lined up, but that plan is going to get royally f'd because some people can't let go of their egos and will pitch a fit. I think Cabrera 100% is going to have Batt's back regardless of who ends up being our coach (Cabrera is NOT a fan of the old boys club that's being super vocal right now...and this goes back to before Batt was hired), but this group is going to scare off whatever coach Batt has behind the curtain. No coach wants to walk into in-house drama when GT is already a hard enough job as it is...and GT isn't going to pay enough to put up with that crap.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Back to the HC Candidate List discussion:
If Chadwell gets the job over Key, I’ll have some regrets.
If Key gets the job over Chadwell, I’ll have some regrets.
If someone else gets the job, I’ll have regrets x 2.
In the end, though, no matter who gets the job, I’ll be renewing my season tickets and looking forward to next season.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What? How does him keeping things to himself prevent others from talking to him? He's going to interact with donors regardless even if he isn't sharing information.
True, they could send their opinions/ultimatums in still. I imagine those conversations are pretty short and involve a lot of canned responses from Batt or Parker exec or whoever

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I have a sick feeling Batt has a good coach lined up, but that plan is going to get royally f'd because some people can't let go of their egos and will pitch a fit. I think Cabrera 100% is going to have Batt's back regardless of who ends up being our coach (Cabrera is NOT a fan of the old boys club that's being super vocal right now...and this goes back to before Batt was hired), but this group is going to scare off whatever coach Batt has behind the curtain. No coach wants to walk into in-house drama when GT is already a hard enough job as it is...and GT isn't going to pay enough to put up with that crap.

I think you're right. There is some other guy beyond Chadwell and Key that I think we will be excited about.

I just hope we don't find out later that this guy got run off before he could sign on the line.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I am SO torn between Key and Chadwell, Chadwell imo is a potential star coach for us, his offense gives me a boner and I think he’s getting passed up because of option paranoia and therefore a boss HFC is falling right into our laps because of it.

On the otherhand I am just incredibly impressed with Key turning the culture around so quick and getting 4 wins out of the crap sandwich he got handed, Pitt was a just hardnosed win, then after the Duke win when he yelled f#ck yeah! to the student section i would have run theough a freaking wall for him on the spot. And his interview after UNC it was so emotional and full of love for his team i almost cried lol. The fact that he has gotten some solid recruits as well is signs of good things to come in that dept. If Key is the choice I believe he will be damned good for us, especially with a better OC. It’s rare to hire a coach who has already proven that he can win and recruit for the job.

Flip a coin and win either way imo.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If they truly LOVE Tech, they will stay out of this. They pushed for Geoff and complained continuously about Coach Johnson. It is true that they are not anywhere close to being the ego maniacs at many programs, say Auburn or Texas A&M for which any future Tech AD and coach should be thankful.
Not sure you have this quite right. I recently was with a major donor and they became very close to PJ and his family. Just can't stereotype our donors. What they all have in common is the desire for Tech to be successful. It's up to our new AD to convince them to open up their wallets to support his decision.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am SO torn between Key and Chadwell, Chadwell imo is a potential star coach for us, his offense gives me a boner and I think he’s getting passed up because of option paranoia and therefore a boss HFC is falling right into our laps because of it.

On the otherhand I am just incredibly impressed with Key turning the culture around so quick and getting 4 wins out of the crap sandwich he got handed, Pitt was a just hardnosed win, then after the Duke win when he yelled f#ck yeah! to the student section i would have run theough a freaking wall for him on the spot. And his interview after UNC it was so emotional and full of love for his team i almost cried lol. The fact that he has gotten some solid recruits as well is signs of good things to come in that dept. If Key is the choice I believe he will be damned good for us, especially with a better OC. It’s rare to hire a coach who has already proven that he can win and recruit for the job.

Flip a coin and win either way imo.
I think it comes down to the game on Saturday

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
If those f’ers mess up Chadwell I’m gonna be pissed. Lol, I sound like them.