HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think, and this is probably an unpopular opinion, that the boosters need to stay out of this. They had their turn and it did not work out. So, just stand aside and let Mr. Batt do his job and then next year or the year after begin with the regularly scheduled program of bitching and complaining.

Most boosters LOVE LOVE GT. They will stroke GT a check whenever Ma Tech comes calling. Zero agendas...they just want what's best for GT and they believe the leadership will make the best decision. They don't care to be involved unless they are asked to be involved. They supported EVERY AD and EVERY coach without reservations. Some of GT's biggest boosters don't want their names published or mentioned when they give substantial sums...they just do it out of their love for Ma Tech.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why do Tech fans always feel the need to cut down our former coaches? Yes, the Fridge was a great coach. Our team was also pretty damn good in 2001. We lost three games by around eight points, two in OT and the third on a hook and lateral trick play. Who knows how the team woukd have done if 9/11 does not happen. Who knows how we would have done in 2002 with Big Bee as head coach. O'Leary was a very good coach. No need to add caveats.
The dude got a player killed at UCF

I don’t really care what O’Leary has to say about anything. His judgement is obviously terrible.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My take at this point is that I will be happy if:

A. Key is retained
B. Chadwell is the choice
C. JBatt wows us with an unknown name that pumps energy into the fanbase

I would still be happy, but maybe more skeptical if:

D. BOB is the choice
E. Any of Mullen, Malzhan, or Houston is the choice

I would not be happy, but will still cheer for the team, if:

F. Coaches with known ethical or legal issues are the choice (Freeze, Briles, etc.)
This is exactly where I am at the moment. I hope and pray to Dodd that all I want is Key in drunken joy sometime around 4pm Saturday.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
A certain subset (the O'Leary fans)...most of the same ones that pushed for Stansbury and Collins to be hired. Not all of "the money people". Let's be transparent here.
I didn’t say all of the money people, a lot of them want key to be the next HC. Specifically, Texeria wants Key but he pulled himself out of the HC search about 2-4 weeks ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Most boosters LOVE LOVE GT. They will stroke GT a check whenever Ma Tech comes calling. Zero agendas...they just want what's best for GT and they believe the leadership will make the best decision. They don't care to be involved unless they are asked to be involved. They supported EVERY AD and EVERY coach without reservations. Some of GT's biggest boosters don't want their names published or mentioned when they give substantial sums...they just do it out of their love for Ma Tech.
If they truly LOVE Tech, they will stay out of this. They pushed for Geoff and complained continuously about Coach Johnson. It is true that they are not anywhere close to being the ego maniacs at many programs, say Auburn or Texas A&M for which any future Tech AD and coach should be thankful.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say all of the money people, a lot of them want key to be the next HC. Specifically, Texeria wants Key but he pulled himself out of the HC search about 2-4 weeks ago.

It's been known for a while now that Key was being pushed by a certain group of donors. Key would be "donor friendly" to them (access to information inside the program, a large say in what happens, etc). Key, they feel, would continue the status quo of letting a group of donors have an outsized role in what happens.

FWIW, I've heard that Key is stuck in the middle of all of this. He's not pushing anyone to push for him. He's seriously focused on the players and coaching them up.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather have B*** L**** or CGC coaching our team than ever let G***** O'***** back on our sidelines.

He was a good game day coach but a terrible human being. That last part still matters to me.
Well, to a certain extent, I suppose he did not give people a whole lot of warm, fuzzy feelings. I recall a game on TV that was against NC State or Carolina that was going back and forth in typical Joe Ham fashion and Tech had taken the lead but the other team came down in about 3 plays and tied it up on a long pass play with no one within 10 yards of the receiver. Busted coverage obviously. Anyway, the safety is coming to the sidelines getting an earful from Coach O'Leary and goes to the phone table is talking to the assistant up in the booth. O'Leary, never one to worry about perceptions, yanks the phone out of the player's hand and proceeds to yell at the assistant. An equal opportunity abuser it would seem. He did beat UGA three years in a row so there is that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Heisman was kind of an ******* too. Glad he's not around still...
He was extremely demanding and could be a jerk to reporters, players, assistants and other small fry including it would seem his wife. Newspapers of the time for some reason, found him irresistible. All over the country photos were published showing him holding a small megaphone and calling out to his players when they would shift formations: "Hop lads, hop, you must learn to hop like a chickadee." Charming.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
It's been known for a while now that Key was being pushed by a certain group of donors. Key would be "donor friendly" to them (access to information inside the program, a large say in what happens, etc). Key, they feel, would continue the status quo of letting a group of donors have an outsized role in what happens.

FWIW, I've heard that Key is stuck in the middle of all of this. He's not pushing anyone to push for him. He's seriously focused on the players and coaching them up.
You’re exactly right. Brent wants whatever is best for Georgia Tech.