HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

CEB

Helluva Engineer
paul johnson is apparently the best coach ever and he did not win 8 games a season. i hate to say it but i don’t see any coach we hire averaging more than 7 because i don’t think they are as good as johnson and we play tougher schedules than we did under johnson
Why so preoccupied with Paul Johnson? Is he still a candidate? Get with the program, man, we can recruit our way to 8-10 wins.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
How is the OL situation created by Collins?
Brent key wanted to take more high school kids and build true depth, Collins didn’t agree with that and decided they would take more transfer offensive linemen. Geoff Collins didn’t listen to the position coaches thoughts.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Chadwell should be able to shed the “Triple Option” moniker as long as he’s using personnel that translate to the NFL. Essentially, as long as his QBs are passing enough to show off to NFL scouts and we are using TEs, WRs, and RBs (as opposed to ABs, BBs

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Brent key wanted to take more high school kids and build true depth, Collins didn’t agree with that and decided they would take more transfer offensive linemen. Geoff Collins didn’t listen to the position coaches thoughts.
I call BS. We signed 6 OL in 2020. We signed two more in 2021 and another three earlier this year. That is eleven signees over the three years he has been recruiting here at Tech.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Eh, we've taken a number of linemen from the portal and prioritized playing them over the young guys on the roster so we never built a cohesive unit.

We prioritized not having to put true freshmen lineman out there? You don't say.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Eh, we've taken a number of linemen from the portal and prioritized playing them over the young guys on the roster so we never built a cohesive unit.
How is that surprising or even an explanation to excuse Key from the lack of development of the OL recruits we signed? The OL we had on roster in 2019 were ill suited for our blocking schemes so we used to portal to bring in older, more mature lineman while the young recruits developed. Still, we signed SIX lineman in our first class. Yet, they never developed. That is on Key. There should not have been a scenario outside of pulling some elite recruits where true Freshman should have started and yet, we have played True Freshman, numerous redshirt Freshman, and walkons. So, your assertion that we should have played more young lineman makes no sense from a development stand point, but it is also false since we have actually played many young players.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We prioritized not having to put true freshmen lineman out there? You don't say.
It makes sense in the short term (except that we still were horrible), but long term would have made more sense to play those guys. We would probably be a lot better now if those guys had two years experience playing together and getting game reps instead of zero.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Key wanted to prioritize taking high school linemen and playing the younger guys more. Collins wanted to go all in on the portal and getting guys to plug a spot for 1 year. This relates to Ryan Johnson, Devin Cochran and Southers, Kenneth Kirby, Nick Pendley. Key was the one that pushed for Quick and Tchio since he recruited them out of HS. Key wanted it to be his own decision with the offensive line group. Collins had his hands all over the offense when he had no experience with the offensive side of the ball.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So much interest in this thread and so many people earnestly pushing their point of view. Hard to know where to jump in.

My opinion. I think it’s really hard to evaluate the effectiveness of Key, offensive line coaching, our OC and our DC given how toxic Collins was for the whole program. We are just starting to see, finally, the potential some of our athletes had all along. Whether they can continue to grow and develop under the current coaching staff is an open question to me.

I completely understand the feelings of those who want to clean house and move on but to suggest this is based on solid evidence from past performance is misleading to me. Yes, I truly think Collins was that toxic for the program that even the best coaches in the country would have been smothered and stifled.

I will support whoever the next coach is as well as the configuration of the staff.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Still getting commits. You gotta wonder if they have told Key it’s his gig.
If they told Key it’s his job they would’ve already announced it and cleared the air. No need to keep everyone guessing and making fans go at each other if the guy you’re hiring is already employed at the position you’re hiring for.

I personally believe the UGA game will make the decision for us. Nobody expects us to win, not even our decision makers. It’s obvious we don’t have the talent to compete with them, and our whole team is still learning how to win on the fly. But, how we lose, given that we do lose, will have a huge impact on the final outcome of the HC job, IMO. If it’s another 52-7, 45-0 type game, Key is out. If it’s 38-10, or 27-13, Key is in.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yet surprisingly we were able to get 3 4 star qbs and sent multiple WR to the NFL. 🤷‍♂️
3 WR (not counting DT because he was a chan recruit) over 11 years is not exactly something to write home about for anyone else in power 5

if we want to be technical justin thomas and graham were the only 4* qbs and one of them was moved positions immediately upon transferring