HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Would Riley take a job as OC at the P-5 level? Probably, unless he gets an HC offer somewhere. O'Brien as HC and Riley running the offense would be a superb combination. O'Brien seems a student of the game, a coach with varied knowledge about offenses who would like to perfect his knowledge of new systems. He doesn't seem set in his ways and would let Riley run the offensive show, but I'm sure O'Brien would be giving him a few pointers as well. Two very impressive offensive minds that could mesh instead of clash. I like it, but somebody may well snap Riley up as HC before it could happen.

Time is of the essence. If Batt can nail down the right combination before the UNC game, we'll beat the rush as we near season's end.
Riley is already a OC at the P5 level.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
6. Our last two recruiting classes brought 31 HS athletes onto the team. We have depended way too heavily on the transfer portal. Bama and uga each recruited 50 or more in that span. The best teams use the portal to acquire guys like Gibbs who show out at a lower level. We need to go back to recruiting HS talent and using the portal to fill holes in the offseason.
There’s one fallacy here. UGA has had 24 draftees and Alabama has had 19 in the last 2 years. That basically accounts for the “extra” recruits they get out of high school, because they are going to have more spots to fill on a yearly basis. (Just for the record, you have to count back to 2010 to get 19 NFL picks from GT, and 2008 to get to 24).

Based on our normal attrition rates, we need to bring in ~20 new [scholarship] players every year. It doesn’t really matter whether those 20 come via HS or the portal, as long as they get developed into the best possible player while they’re here.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fritz probably should've been the guy to replace Johnson when we hired Geoff. Stansbury fell in love with the sales pitch and money men were too hellbent on cutting all option ties. If we're truly looking at offensive coaches, Fritz, Chadwell, and Riley check the boxes. O'Brien is getting torn to shreds by Alabama fans, and rightfully so. If you watch their games there is no creativity in the offense... simply Young and Gibbs making plays. I don't know enough about McGee other than he is very well respected in GA and if he retained Watson, recruiting could be elevated quickly.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
That's where I'm hoping Cabrera steps up with his promises of investing!
McGee makes $800,000 as a positions coach, same exact salary that Chip Long makes. It would probably take over $1.5 million to convince McGee to come be a OC. Which isn’t going to happen from a Tech side or a Dell McGee side. McGee is going to get a HC job within the next 2 years so only way he leaves UGA is if it’s for a HC position from what I’ve heard.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There’s one fallacy here. UGA has had 24 draftees and Alabama has had 19 in the last 2 years. That basically accounts for the “extra” recruits they get out of high school, because they are going to have more spots to fill on a yearly basis. (Just for the record, you have to count back to 2010 to get 19 NFL picks from GT, and 2008 to get to 24).

Based on our normal attrition rates, we need to bring in ~20 new [scholarship] players every year. It doesn’t really matter whether those 20 come via HS or the portal, as long as they get developed into the best possible player while they’re here.

We've had at least that many leave via the portal during that stretch. Whether they go to the NFL, another school, or just leave is moot. It also ignores the fact that very few portal transfers ever amount to anything pther than practice squad players here. I'd much rather roll the dice on HS talent that could develop.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Would Riley take a job as OC at the P-5 level? Probably, unless he gets an HC offer somewhere. O'Brien as HC and Riley running the offense would be a superb combination. O'Brien seems a student of the game, a coach with varied knowledge about offenses who would like to perfect his knowledge of new systems. He doesn't seem set in his ways and would let Riley run the offensive show, but I'm sure O'Brien would be giving him a few pointers as well. Two very impressive offensive minds that could mesh instead of clash. I like it, but somebody may well snap Riley up as HC before it could happen.

Time is of the essence. If Batt can nail down the right combination before the UNC game, we'll beat the rush as we near season's end.
Riley currently IS an OC at the P5 level.

His team is also currently ranked #7 in the country, no way he would he leave that situation to take the same position at the bottom of the ACC. That's a big step down for his career. I'm not sure he would leave that situation for the head job at Tech either.

Only way to find out is for Batt's committee to ask him.

And for God's sake no O'brien... or Roof... or Whisenhunt... or Key... or Edsall. Do not let nepotism and favoritism handicap the search for the best candidate, no matter where he went to school, or who the decision "influencers" like, or who his buddies are.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
wellmatters
It damned well matters JO.

slugboy

Staff member
slug, you are away off on my point. I wasn't advocating a couple of meaningless traits or circumstances between 2 coaches. I AM saying more than one coach has been promoted on the shoulders of a great player, usually a QB. We at GT have seen it first hand and I'm well aware of what BL was before he came here. No "buckets" for me, other than a preference for a coach who has done it before....look at your Tech coaching list in your post.

So, ESPN had a recent story on Chadwell. It’s going to come off positive, but that’s what you expect. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-turned-corner-cringeworthy-meeting-players

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Garrett Riley should not be overlooked. This would be an exciting hire which wins the press conference. Got to believe that having Lincoln as an older brother, would help Garrett in finding and hiring quality assistant coaches. I

slugboy

Staff member
The greatest football coach in my GT career was Bobby Ross. No search committee. No long-term planning. He quit Maryland and Homer Rice snagged him. We have no idea who our next great coach will be ....
We had a great AD and a stunning amount of luck. Ross quit because of Len Bias shockwaves through UMd and we were about the only open job at the time, and it was still luck that he even said “yes”.

We can only hope that USC fires Lincoln Riley or something similar in the next week.

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone here read the email from J Batt this AM? Sure seemed to tease an announcement was imminent which I think given the way it was teased could only really mean a new HC hire (look for a very big announcement in the very near future)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
can you tell me why it matters?
Just a few for starters: Time to develop (especially for a unique system), our 3 year experience with TP is not what I'd call great, avoiding other coaches recruiting mistakes, increasing hs relationships, and risking locker room probs. Not many kids recruited out of hs that are making PT progress in their first 2 years are likely to transfer except for coaching changes and if they aren't making progress, why would they here. A lot of top programs aren't doing much of it. Our own OL situation today has imo been worsened by it.

Last edited:

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone here read the email from J Batt this AM? Sure seemed to tease an announcement was imminent which I think given the way it was teased could only really mean a new HC hire (look for a very big announcement in the very near future)

Yup, I was coming in to say the same thing.

As time to overthink it… could be someone not currently employed as a coach (Mullen) or perhaps an assistant. I know nothing but that was my first impression from reading too much into it.