HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Dabo would have to eat a LOT of money to go to Bama. Not that Bama couldn't afford it...

"If Swinney leaves Clemson for Alabama after the 2022 season, he would owe Clemson $9 million. In 2023 and 2024, it drops to $7.5 million, $6 million in 2025, $4.5 million in 2026 and 2027, $3 million in 2028 and 2029 and $1.5 million in 2030."

I don't think he would do it. Following a legend is always a very tough act to follow since expectations are so high. The only rationale would be concern that Clemson will not be able to compete long term because of the revenue discrepancy between the SEC and the ACC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he would do it. Following a legend is always a very tough act to follow since expectations are so high. The only rationale would be concern that Clemson will not be able to compete long term because of the revenue discrepancy between the SEC and the ACC.
I don't really think it's an option anymore. Five years ago, Dabo was a shoe-in to replace Saban. Now? Not so much. There just isn't any buzz around him as a potential replacement. Insiders are predicting either Kiffin (who wants the job) or more likely, an NFL coach. The whole model at Bama is the NFL model and developing SA's to get to the League. Any potential candidate is going to have to show they can do that. In volume.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, AJ I have similar uneasy feelings about him. Question, not a statement: Is Chadwell's success a function of QB quality at the time ? All coaches are subject to this, but some more than others. We made this mistake with a coach from ECU one time.
No, that is not the mistake we made with B*** L****. There were multiple mistakes with him, but one of them was that it was his OC that was responsible for most of his success at ECU. That success continued at ECU after he left, with multiple different QBs.

Also, L**** had a fantastic QB here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is extremely high on my list of preferred coaches for GT. I really like his system and the fact that he has rebuilt a program, even if it isn't a P5 program. My biggest fear is that he hasn't been plucked yet so I wonder why other programs needing a new HC haven't bitten on him. Other than CPJ, our G5 hires haven't really panned out here so far.
The reason he hasn’t been snatched up is the same reason that GT was PJ‘s only P5 offer- his offense has a lot of Triple-O option in it’s DNA. It’s modernized, it’s fancied up, but it’s definitely there.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
No, that is not the mistake we made with B*** L****. There were multiple mistakes with him, but one of them was that it was his OC that was responsible for most of his success at ECU. That success continued at ECU after he left, with multiple different QBs.

Also, L**** had a fantastic QB here.
Blake definitely played a major role in ECU's 11-1 record in '91. Logan's first 2 years as HC after Lewis were dismal, but he recovered well.

slugboy

Staff member
Blake definitely played a major role in ECU's 11-1 record in '91. Logan's first 2 years as HC after Lewis were dismal, but he recovered well.
The fact that Chadwell was successful with a good QB and that L**** was successful with a quality QB and that they both coached in G5 doesn’t mean that they’re the same coach. I’m sure I can find two things in common between Andy Reid and almost any coach. I’m also sure I can find two things in common between B*** L***** and any potential coaching candidates we have.

Chadwell has had more than one good QB. That at least indicates that either he makes QBs better or that he can recruit good QBs.

And, for any offensive-minded coach, you're going to see that their QB has SOME kind of good stats. If the criteria for rejecting a G5 candidate is that you're going to reject any candidate that had good results with good QBs, you're going to reject any offensive-minded coach. And Chadwell's standard is that he doesn't need a team of 5* players, which goes against what you're saying in your comparison.

(BTW, L**** was a defense coach)

If you look at coaches and put them in the B*** L***** bucket or Collins bucket or Chan Gailey bucket, etc., you're going to eliminate everyone but Nick Saban or a coach who has already won a national title or maybe coaches with scheme offenses.

There have been a couple of posts about G5 coaches being a risk, and that we haven't done well with G5 coaches. If anything, it seems to say "get a coach from the NFL and minimize your downside", but we get a ton of objections to Ken Whisenhunt.

2018G5CollinsFailure
2007G5Paul JohnsonSuccess
2001NFLChan GaileyMedium
1994NFL/Assistant HCGeorge O'LearySuccess
1991G5L****Failure
1986P5/UnemployedBobby RossSuccess

I'm really careful reading too much into where our coaches come from, because some of them are from 40 or more years ago--so much has changed since then, so how much do emphasis should we put on how we got a coach in 1986?

TL;DR: The biggest lesson I take from this is "set some criteria, figure out where you're going, take some of the emotion out of the process so you don't go for flashy stuff, and find someone who has had more than one year of success that fits your framework for success". Which seems to be what we're doing with Parker Exec Search and our hiring committee.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My personal opinion is I don't think Batt will take this kind of chance yet. Garrett Riley is obviously going to be a very good coach one day, and right now the GT job may not be a fit for either side yet. Of course, if we can get a guy like O'Brien to bring discipline and a professional organization to our team, and have Riley run the offense...THAT would be amazing.
Would Riley take a job as OC at the P-5 level? Probably, unless he gets an HC offer somewhere. O'Brien as HC and Riley running the offense would be a superb combination. O'Brien seems a student of the game, a coach with varied knowledge about offenses who would like to perfect his knowledge of new systems. He doesn't seem set in his ways and would let Riley run the offensive show, but I'm sure O'Brien would be giving him a few pointers as well. Two very impressive offensive minds that could mesh instead of clash. I like it, but somebody may well snap Riley up as HC before it could happen.

Time is of the essence. If Batt can nail down the right combination before the UNC game, we'll beat the rush as we near season's end.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The question on everyone's mind is when does the new AD pull the trigger on the next HC. Guys coaching now are too busy to do much negotiating except through an agent. Wait too long and signing date gets compromised. Maybe we hang on to a bunch of commits but this team needs help at QB desperately. Sims may leave regardless and he has been injury prone every year. What we have now has proven to be unsatisfactory. Nothing he has done here will get him to the NFL. IMO he makes a change next year for that reason.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Fritz's resume looks pretty dang good. And we have a pretty good history with former Eagle's coaches. He could grab McGee as OC maybe?

I think if Fritz got the job his staff would be interesting.

I expect he'd go after McGee. His offense would probably be more like he's running at tulane than he did at southern but he adapts to the players he has and can recruit. I would be more interested in who he'd bring in to coach defense and position coaches. At 62 we'd probably be looking for a coach in 5 to 6 years anyway but who knows bowden coached a really long time.

I'm not sure if i liek Fritz or Chadwell better. Fritz is like Johnson he has a very long history of success and might just be a more proven commodity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A few thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Unlike the AD hire, it is doubtful the HC hire will be one that is not widely discussed in these threads prior to finalizing. The pool of successful and up and coming HC candidates is far smaller and generally more widely known than aspiring AD candidates.

2. As has been mentioned, it is likely to be an offensive minded HC or an OC/Off AC that is tabbed. With the direction of NCAAF trending towards offense, this makes sense.

3. We need to dedicate some big $ to lure a DC if #2 is correct.

4. While I wouldn't mind seeing CBK stay and take the reigns if he gets us to a bowl game this year, I am starting to believe the best thing for GT at this point is a completely fresh start.

5. There are some good pieces in place for a new HC to build upon, but he will have to start recruiting this years players as soon as they are hired as well as finalizing the recruiting class.

6. Our last two recruiting classes brought 31 HS athletes onto the team. We have depended way too heavily on the transfer portal. Bama and uga each recruited 50 or more in that span. The best teams use the portal to acquire guys like Gibbs who show out at a lower level. We need to go back to recruiting HS talent and using the portal to fill holes in the offseason.

7. There is no coach the entire fan base is going to be happy with.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I expect he'd go after McGee. His offense would probably be more like he's running at tulane than he did at southern but he adapts to the players he has and can recruit. I would be more interested in who he'd bring in to coach defense and position coaches. At 62 we'd probably be looking for a coach in 5 to 6 years anyway but who knows bowden coached a really long time.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Fritz is 62. He brings in McGee, who could be OC / Assistant HC. McGee gets his move up and is the heir-apparent. The people who want McGee's connections and recruiting ability would be set for him being HC in five years. Those who want a stable hand get that with Fritz. Seems like a win-win....which is probably why no one on this board would want it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact that Chadwell was successful with a good QB and that L**** was successful with a quality QB and that they both coached in G5 doesn’t mean that they’re the same coach. I’m sure I can find two things in common between Andy Reid and almost any coach. I’m also sure I can find two things in common between B*** L***** and any potential coaching candidates we have.

Chadwell has had more than one good QB. That at least indicates that either he makes QBs better or that he can recruit good QBs.

And, for any offensive-minded coach, you're going to see that their QB has SOME kind of good stats. If the criteria for rejecting a G5 candidate is that you're going to reject any candidate that had good results with good QBs, you're going to reject any offensive-minded coach. And Chadwell's standard is that he doesn't need a team of 5* players, which goes against what you're saying in your comparison.

(BTW, L**** was a defense coach)

If you look at coaches and put them in the B*** L***** bucket or Collins bucket or Chan Gailey bucket, etc., you're going to eliminate everyone but Nick Saban or a coach who has already won a national title or maybe coaches with scheme offenses.

There have been a couple of posts about G5 coaches being a risk, and that we haven't done well with G5 coaches. If anything, it seems to say "get a coach from the NFL and minimize your downside", but we get a ton of objections to Ken Whisenhunt.
areawayoffonmypoint
2018G5CollinsFailure
2007G5Paul JohnsonSuccess
2001NFLChan GaileyMedium
1994NFL/Assistant HCGeorge O'LearySuccess
1991G5L****Failure
1986P5/UnemployedBobby RossSuccess

I'm really careful reading too much into where our coaches come from, because some of them are from 40 or more years ago--so much has changed since then, so how much do emphasis should we put on how we got a coach in 1986?

TL;DR: The biggest lesson I take from this is "set some criteria, figure out where you're going, take some of the emotion out of the process so you don't go for flashy stuff, and find someone who has had more than one year of success that fits your framework for success". Which seems to be what we're doing with Parker Exec Search and our hiring committee.
slug, you are away off on my point. I wasn't advocating a couple of meaningless traits or circumstances between 2 coaches. I AM saying more than one coach has been promoted on the shoulders of a great player, usually a QB. We at GT have seen it first hand and I'm well aware of what BL was before he came here. No "buckets" for me, other than a preference for a coach who has done it before....look at your Tech coaching list in your post.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Fritz is 62. He brings in McGee, who could be OC / Assistant HC. McGee gets his move up and is the heir-apparent. The people who want McGee's connections and recruiting ability would be set for him being HC in five years. Those who want a stable hand get that with Fritz. Seems like a win-win....which is probably why no one on this board would want it.
From what I know about him (which is confined to what I read online) I'd be fine with Fritz and most of the coaches' names being popularly batted around here. The ones I would be averse to are confined to those with particularly bad personal conduct marring their resumes. All of them bring something to the table and we just have to trust the new AD to make a good choice. The selection/interview process will find out more pertinent information than we have access to, and it seems there are a lot of good choices that are probably available. I like to bat names around and read about them, but in the end we all just have to trust the process.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
McGee is making way too much at UGA to ever think about being the OC at tech. He’s making just around the same amount as Chip Long.