HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Bronco Mendenhall

Paul Chryst

Clay Helton

Gus Malzahn

Obviously depends on exactly how you define successful but all of them had records at P5 schools that I would call successful to some degree even if it wasn't the level of success the schools wanted.

We've had some questionable decisions regarding contracts but nothing that is in the same reality as that.

Helton's dedicated to southern for a few years. He's seeing himself on the Lane Train back to respect. Jumping form southern to tech in one year is actually asking for a one way ticket out if he can't turn us around.

Mendenhall would be interesting though.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Helton's dedicated to southern for a few years. He's seeing himself on the Lane Train back to respect. Jumping form southern to tech in one year is actually asking for a one way ticket out if he can't turn us around.

Mendenhall would be interesting though.
I thought Mendenhall was allergic to the eastern time zone or something... I don’t know if he’s done with football or just done with the east coast but it doesn’t seem like a fit either way.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You can say the same thing about Chadwell. Coastal Carolina was very successful under Moglia and Chadwell just kept it going.
They were successful in FCS, not FBS. Joe Moglia never had a winning season as a FBS coach. Yes, it was only one season, but it is not as if he had built a winning FBS program. Chadwell is 27-3 over the last three seasons with his three losses by a total of 8 points (one of them in OT).

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
They were successful in FCS, not FBS. Joe Moglia never had a winning season as a FBS coach. Yes, it was only one season, but it is not as if he had built a winning FBS program. Chadwell is 27-3 over the last three seasons with his three losses by a total of 8 points (one of them in OT).
I was replying to a comment on Satterfield and his success at App State, which just like Coastal, was extremely successful at the FCS level. Both Chadwell and Satterfield helped transition FCS programs to FBS.

Building a successful program in FCS is still building a successful program. How many terrible FCS programs move to FBS and have success? There needs to be a foundation and culture established to bring it into the FBS ranks and that's what Moglia did.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He was also allergic to rosters without 23-25 olds on it...

Whaaat? You tellin' me grown a** dudes with families at home and grown-man skrength might give a team a bit of an advantage in the trenches?

No Way Wow GIF

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was replying to a comment on Satterfield and his success at App State, which just like Coastal, was extremely successful at the FCS level. Both Chadwell and Satterfield helped transition FCS programs to FBS.

Building a successful program in FCS is still building a successful program. How many terrible FCS programs move to FBS and have success? There needs to be a foundation and culture established to bring it into the FBS ranks and that's what Moglia did.
I think you are giving Moglia too much credit for the current success at Coastal Carolina. Yes, he successfully built up Coastal Carolina as a FCS program, but that has nothing to do with transitioning to a successful FBS program. If anything, it was Chadwell that led that transition and laid the foundation for future success as Moglia took a year off their first year in FBS.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Well reading between the lines on the three AD candidates: will they want their present coach to follow them.
Army? Auburn? Ga State? One has ties also with the Kansas coach.

Jacket 83

Georgia Tech Fan
What’s the thoughts on Tom Herman? I have seen his name mentioned here but not much discussion. Does he have any connections to the south east for recruiting? He was successful at Houston and Texas. Would he be a fit if willing?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What’s the thoughts on Tom Herman? I have seen his name mentioned here but not much discussion. Does he have any connections to the south east for recruiting? He was successful at Houston and Texas. Would he be a fit if willing?
Hard to tell if he wants to be a head coach again right now. He seems pretty happy getting paid a ton of money by Texas not to coach. If he wants back in though then others will be after him. He would be a tough get. If we could get him though, it would be a pretty strong hire.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you are giving Moglia too much credit for the current success at Coastal Carolina. Yes, he successfully built up Coastal Carolina as a FCS program, but that has nothing to do with transitioning to a successful FBS program. If anything, it was Chadwell that led that transition and laid the foundation for future success as Moglia took a year off their first year in FBS.
Coastal Carolina does not make the transition to FBS if not for their success in FCS, so yes that has a lot to do with transitioning to become a successful FBS program.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Coastal Carolina does not make the transition to FBS if not for their success in FCS, so yes that has a lot to do with transitioning to become a successful FBS program.
That is not what I was saying. Yes, Moglia's success led to their transition to FBS, but he did not achieve the level of success in FBS if not for Chadwell and it was Chadwell who actually built the successful FBS program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I wonder what's going on with Herman behind the scenes. Is there something going on that's not being reported? His only fault was he didn't win enough at Texas...but Texas has a LOT of drama going on behind the scenes with donors getting involved. Texas should be on 'Bama's level with all the resources they have, but they don't have the success and good coaches don't want anything to do with them.

I would take Tom Herman yesterday if he said he was willing to come here. In his 6 seasons as the HC (2 Houston, 4 Texas) he's never missed a bowl game, and his coaching win percentage is very high. His offenses put up points.

Oh, and he's also a member of Mensa. That would play well at GT.