HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree except for Collins recruiting, he had 1 good HS class, the rest were ranked similarly to Gailey's and Johnson's classes. Most of our roster improvement on sites like 247 has come from the transfer portal with former 4 star backups transferring back to Atl/GT from out of state schools. Unfortunately, most of these are self selected as having been burried on their previous teams depth chart, it remains to be seen how much of a talent upgrade we've gotten here.
Collins is a good recruiter per se. It's his coaching that ultimately tanked his recruiting. The only job I'd hire Geoff Collins for is recruiting coordinator.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Look up Bill Lewis's coaching history at his two previous stops before GT: Wyoming and East Carolina. Lewis never had a winning season before his one amazing year where he coached ECU to 11-1. In fact, there was a decade between Wyoming and ECU...which tells me Lewis spent a LOT of time rehabbing his career after his failures at Wyoming.

Looking back, it's shocking GT even considered him as a candidate much less HIRED him!

Contrast that to Jamey Chadwell who has a coaching record at multiple schools. At each school he won BIG after about 1-2 years of a rebuilding. Those guys are high floor, high ceiling type coaches. CPJ had similar questions before we hired him: Would his offense translate to this level? With his track record, why didn't a bigger school hire him earlier? Can he recruit at this level?

We all know the answer to the first two questions. The third question depends on your POV. Did he hit rankings home runs? No, but he did recruit well enough for his system that after the vaunted 2007 class left, we still went to 2 ACCCGs, won an OB, and only had 2 losing seasons out of 11.

Chadwell is getting CPJ a decade younger, more willing to evolve, and media friendly. His scheme is more recruiting friendly as his offense has put players in the NFL, and puts up big passing numbers.

He's a "schematic advantage" type coach...the type of coach GT needs because we are never going to consistently recruit at an appreciable level we can out talent everyone. That's just not happening at GT...I've been a fan for 30+ years. Can we consistently recruit better than we have? ABSOLUTELY. We've had some really good recruiting classes during that time, but never sustained recruiting success. Our success came from our coaches and ability to develop talent, and find talent. That is GT's recipe for success.
Agree with most of this, but my ref to good seasons based on good QBs stands. Chadwell also benefitted at least 2 of his best seasons from one QB. Yes, he definitely has more credence than L____ and I believe he should be a candidate. Gus at Auburn proved that a similar system could work against the big guys....with the right QB of course. If he signs and keeps a legit 4* dual threat QB, he's a real good fit.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agree except for Collins recruiting, he had 1 good HS class, the rest were ranked similarly to Gailey's and Johnson's classes. Most of our roster improvement on sites like 247 has come from the transfer portal with former 4 star backups transferring back to Atl/GT from out of state schools. Unfortunately, most of these are self selected as having been burried on their previous teams depth chart, it remains to be seen how much of a talent upgrade we've gotten here.

The 2021 and 2022 classes were only ranked that low because they had 16 and 15 commits. They were "competing" against the higher ranked classes where they tabulate the points of the top 20 recruits. The star averages for both those classes was above the CPJ/CCG norm. If anything, Collins reliance on the portal instead of HS recruiting may have hurt him.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Parker Search is involved, you can expect them to create an initial list of every college head coach and assistant in the country, probably every NFL head coach and assistant and ... create a criteria with weights and analyze every potential candidate and get that list down to the Top 10. Those will be discussed with their agent and if interested, presented to the GTAA for consideration and from that, 3-4 interviewed.

Parker won't guess at it. It's a pretty rigorous process they use. I'm glad they are involved.
Me too, we know how GT can f.... up hiring

Georgia Tech Fan
I just read an article in and e paper about cowboys/giants game. The name Killen Moore came up. Would he be a decent candidate? I don't really remember much about him other than he was a QB and is now an asst coach. OC for cowboys.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just read an article in and e paper about cowboys/giants game. The name Killen Moore came up. Would he be a decent candidate? I don't really remember much about him other than he was a QB and is now an asst coach. OC for cowboys.

Ex Boise State QB that has been the pro game for a while now. Much like our own George Godsey. Moore has no recruiting ties to GA or the South. He wouldn't be viable to GT unless we surrounded him with a bunch of coaches with experience in the South. Also, he's not leaving the Cowboys. Jerry Jones is grooming him to takeover the Cowboys one day.

JacketFan137

Banned
he’s definitely got dallas looking serviceable on offense with a backup qb and was starting to pick up some steam in the coaching carousel. i just think it would be a hard sell to fans to be like “well the last guy was in over his head, let’s replace him with a guy with only a few years as an OC, never head coach”.

definitely a chance he’d do well, but with the fact he played at boise, coaches in dallas and we would be asking him to play football and recruit in the southeast would just be putting a lot on a first timer’s plate

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m high on both Deion & Chadwell. Not sure if Deion is just a pipe dream but he could bring an interesting appeal. I’m imagining a lot of updates to the greater structure of GT Football. Not sure on this feasibility but setting up an annual OOC meeting with a HBC&U would be a great idea (w/ or w/o Deion). Some of those schools have a great gameday experience with amazing tailgates & big band performances - we should lean into that tradition. A lot of the fans of those teams are of great potential for sidewalk fans too. Winning solves everything but for long term success for GT football I think the next coach needs to do more than just that. We need institutional progress.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m high on both Deion & Chadwell. Not sure if Deion is just a pipe dream but he could bring an interesting appeal. I’m imagining a lot of updates to the greater structure of GT Football. Not sure on this feasibility but setting up an annual OOC meeting with a HBC&U would be a great idea (w/ or w/o Deion). Some of those schools have a great gameday experience with amazing tailgates & big band performances - we should lean into that tradition. A lot of the fans of those teams are of great potential for sidewalk fans too. Winning solves everything but for long term success for GT football I think the next coach needs to do more than just that. We need institutional progress.
I want somebody who will reach for the stars:

"Sanders landed the No. 1 recruiting class in the SWAC and HBCU football. His class ranked 55th overall in FBS football. It included five four-star recruits and seven three-star recruits. Shedeur was the bell cow of the class and is the backbone of this year’s team."

"They have offered 55 student-athletes, with numerous four- and five-star prospects in the mix."

If he can land the #55 class at Jackson State, what could he do here? The guy is a leader, a communicator, and a motivator. Unproven at the P-5 level, but this will probably be our only chance to get him on board. Tired of this hang dog talk about our "ceiling". I say go for the gusto.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If he can land the #55 class at Jackson State, what could he do here? The guy is a leader, a communicator, and a motivator. Unproven at the P-5 level, but this will probably be our only chance to get him on board. Tired of this hang dog talk about our "ceiling". I say go for the gusto.
Not to rain on your parade, but ...

Jackson State has an acceptance rate of 69%, is classed as below average, average SAT of 930 and average ACT of 17. Tech has an acceptance rate of 23%, is classed as very selective/highly competitive, average SAT of 1465 and average ACT of 33.

How many JSU SA's do you think could cut it at Tech?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Has Sanders been a HC long enough to judge his actual coaching abilities. Has big appeal for recruiting but we just had a good recruiter that couldn't function as a head coach. Salesman and idea guy.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Has Sanders been a HC long enough to judge his actual coaching abilities. Has big appeal for recruiting but we just had a good recruiter that couldn't function as a head coach. Salesman and idea guy.
Word is he's hard nose on players has a good staff around him obviously experience most of the time trumps drive and ambition but historically Deion has always been said to be a guy no one can say you won't succeed too

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Big caveat with Sanders, and I'm not sure an instance like this would pass under GT's conservative standards, look up: Prime Prep Academy

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Word is he's hard nose on players has a good staff around him obviously experience most of the time trumps drive and ambition but historically Deion has always been said to be a guy no one can say you won't succeed too
This is one of the important things to look at. He has been successful with everything he has done. He’s not going to stop doing so now.