HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m not advocating for or against Harsin. But he doesn’t run the football team. Jimmy Raine does. It’s a political mess.
One thing to consider: Harsin's making $5 million+ at Auburn and might be a little on the expensive side. But he's got a solid record at Boise Stae as HC and also as OC/QB coach there.
The Auburn job is more eaten up with politics and meddling than any other job in the country, I take it.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing to consider: Harsin's making $5 million+ at Auburn and might be a little on the expensive side. But he's got a solid record at Boise Stae as HC and also as OC/QB coach there.
The Auburn job is more eaten up with politics and meddling than any other job in the country, I take it.

If they fire him without cause, they owe him 70% of the remainder of the contract or around $14M on top of what he is getting paid this year. We do not need to pay him $5M a year to get him to coach here. I think $3.5M a year plus incentives would do.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bronco Mendenhall

Paul Chryst

Clay Helton

Gus Malzahn
Mendenhall and Helton might be interesting.

Malzahn? One of the reasons he got canned at AU was his inability to prepare SA's for a possible NFL career and that, in turn, hurt recruiting. I don't think he would have any interest in GT but if we hired him, you can pretty much say good-bye to the whole NFL-Lite strategy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bronco Mendenhall

Paul Chryst

Clay Helton

Gus Malzahn

Obviously depends on exactly how you define successful but all of them had records at P5 schools that I would call successful to some degree even if it wasn't the level of success the schools wanted.

We've had some questionable decisions regarding contracts but nothing that is in the same reality as that.

Mendenhall has a losing record as a P5 HC. I don't think Helton or Malzhan are about to risk their career turnarounds to come to GT. Malzhan is doing just fine at UCF and UCF has proven to be a reliable launching pad to bigger jobs. I'd personally love a shot at Helton, but I think he either stays one more year at GaSo or lands one of the better jobs out there.

Chryst is the outlier in this grouping, but for reasons I outlined earlier, I just don't see him coming to GT.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If they fire him without cause, they owe him 70% of the remainder of the contract or around $14M on top of what he is getting paid this year. We do not need to pay him $5M a year to get him to coach here. I think $3.5M a year plus incentives would do.

I'm not sure I want a coach that can't post a winning record at Auburn coaching here.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd take Harsin at the right price if when Auburn fires him. But I expect he'll want to go back west. Colorado would be a good fit for him.

He hasn't gotten a fair shake at Auburn at all. So, it's hard to say how he would've done with reasonable time and support. But the results at Boise were very promising.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'd take Harsin at the right price if when Auburn fires him. But I expect he'll want to go back west. Colorado would be a good fit for him.
The students love him. He's very engaged in the school, visible and enjoys living here. Still, rumors link him already to jobs back West and it's rumored his daughter has already moved back to Boise.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we should talk to Herman unless there are issuses in screening .

Tom Herman did great job at u of h after brilles went to baylor. Houston is a lot like ATL - city stuff, great athletes. Herman recruited the heck out of the Houston area and out 60 miles =- us against the world.

U of H didn't drop off after Brilles. In fact it went so well UT came and offered $$$ because baylor stsrted beating ut.

[As an aside
The u of h brilles hire of from great hs success-air raid and then herman hire was due to the u of h AD s hatred of the u of Texas. The AD believed that in past during the a reorder of Southwest conference the u of h was going to get into the conference, but UT vetoed it. By way the U of H A D owns the Golden Nugget. He gave huge $ and runs athletics. ]
At UT i bet he had a big buy out. He averaged 8 wins over 4 years. He is an analyst for Chicago bears.

However
I like a football smart coach in lieu of a manager .

Why i liked Coach Johnson and brilles is they carried great football schemes in their head.
[In early 90 s we scouted brilles stephenville hs team. Other way more talented teams would try a schemes to negate his offense . He would make very subtle adjustments that negated them. Example - Line splits on one side of center would automatically tightened and power run play to get 5-10 yds. We ran the air raid and the power i because w had OU recruit at RB. Next year we dropped the I because we had a qb that eventually played in pros.

At baylor when all 4 of brilles qb s were injured just before bowl game he closed practice and put in a run offense. They destroyed ucla iirc by gaining huge yards. He put a wr in as qb w field spread wide. The passing qbs runs went from being first downs to gash yards. ]

If possible
Hire a genius if u can and then we manage for him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure why but I can't shake my preference for someone with ties to the south. Maybe doesn't matter, maybe does. I dunno.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would have interest in Herman if he is interested in GT.
His win total at TX (32-18, 0.640) is much better than either the coach before him - Charlie Strong (0.432) or the coach that has succeeded him - Stave Sarkisian (0.471).
In the last 35+ years the only coach at TX with a better winning percentage is Mack Brown.

He also has the best winning percentage in UH history (0.846) - though that is only 2 years. But once again his winning percentage is much better at UH than both the coach before him and the 2 coaches that have followed him.

He has also won every bowl game he has coached in (5-0) and made bowl games all 6 years he was a HC.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In general, I am a wait and see kinda guy. I want to see what we have with CBK while we work on bringing in the best AD we can get.

We aren't in a "benefit from moving now" position yet, so it's about collecting data points until we get there. CBK is the only one positioned to show empirically he can win as HC at the moment. If he does, then the questions on the test just got a lot easier.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Mendenhall has a losing record as a P5 HC. I don't think Helton or Malzhan are about to risk their career turnarounds to come to GT. Malzhan is doing just fine at UCF and UCF has proven to be a reliable launching pad to bigger jobs. I'd personally love a shot at Helton, but I think he either stays one more year at GaSo or lands one of the better jobs out there.

Chryst is the outlier in this grouping, but for reasons I outlined earlier, I just don't see him coming to GT.

Regarding Mendenhall, He's 2 games under .500 and that is largely due to a 2-10 record his first year at UVA taking over for Mike London who had 4 straight losing years and 5 of 6. His record after his first year was 34-28 which isn't great, but it clearly is an improvement from what UVA had before. I'd call that success. It's not otherworldly success but I think it is clear success.

Mazhan's contract is worth 2.3 mil annually. Helton is under 1 million. Neither are at end destination jobs, and if we are serious about football now, and people claimed we had to fire Collins now to prove that, then we'd have an offer that would be able to land one of those if they didn't have a better job lined up now.

Now I don't necessarily think they are the best choices and I am very skeptical we are actually going to prove we are serious about football with our next hire, but there are guys who have done it at this level before that are on the market.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Regarding Mendenhall, He's 2 games under .500 and that is largely due to a 2-10 record his first year at UVA taking over for Mike London who had 4 straight losing years and 5 of 6. His record after his first year was 34-28 which isn't great, but it clearly is an improvement from what UVA had before. I'd call that success. It's not otherworldly success but I think it is clear success.

Mazhan's contract is worth 2.3 mil annually. Helton is under 1 million. Neither are at end destination jobs, and if we are serious about football now, and people claimed we had to fire Collins now to prove that, then we'd have an offer that would be able to land one of those if they didn't have a better job lined up now.

Now I don't necessarily think they are the best choices and I am very skeptical we are actually going to prove we are serious about football with our next hire, but there are guys who have done it at this level before that are on the market.

I'm a hard no on Malzhan. As I said, I'd be on board with GT taking a run at Helton, but I don't think he's going to risk his future career on a stint at GT. Better jobs will come calling for him that are easier to succeed at.

Mendenhall is just meh to me. Nothing about him screams successful at Georgia Tech to me.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a hard no on Malzhan. As I said, I'd be on board with GT taking a run at Helton, but I don't think he's going to risk his future career on a stint at GT. Better jobs will come calling for him that are easier to succeed at.

Mendenhall is just meh to me. Nothing about him screams successful at Georgia Tech to me.
Good to sometimes really good teams at schools with recruiting limitations. He feels like the guy to stabilize things. We could do much worse.