Haynes Kings needs to develop _____ during the offseason take the next step as a QB?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
King is supremely confident in his ability to put the ball exactly where it needs to be. Sometimes, he's too confident and throws into too tight coverage. If the throw is not perfect, it can get picked. He's a gunslinger, pure and simple. That's what makes him so good, but also what leads to higher interception totals. Take the bad with the good. As he continues to develop, he'll make better decisions, and throws to the TEs and RBs will increase and the throws to the WRs will be the big plays for us, not for them.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
One of my concerns is the amount of running he does. While he has been successful, he has been pummeled more than once. His frame really isn’t built for close encounters of the linebacker type.

That being said, my favorite play of the Gasparilla bowl was at the end of the third quarter when Haynes fooled the cameraman and others to get a first down enroute to Dontae’s final touchdown.
My number 1 concern also. He can't continue to improve as much if he is sitting on the sidelines.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'd say mechanics, decision-making, and an apprehension of the finer details of what Faulkner is trying to accomplish.

Clearly King had a breakout season. Dante said in a presser that Haynes works his tail off. I don't think these two things are coincidental. It's exciting that he's already really good and is likely to get better.

What I see is King laid down a solid foundation this year where he got a lot right and some wrong. I don't think he believes he's a finished product and I think he'll continue to work hard. With two excellent QB teachers in Weinke and Faulkner, my money is on him learning from the mistakes he did make and being an even better QB next year. Mechanics are better and will continue to get better.

I am also interested in Pyron's development. With a more dominant OL it will be interesting to see if he can carve out a niche as a wildcat/power game QB. We know he throws a nice ball. Would take some hits off King, and get him further experience.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This thread is kinda like being married to a kind & considerate super model but being forced to find things that are unattractive about her.
I have given performance reviews for nearly three decades. I have always provided areas of improvement even to my highest achievers. In fact, the best employees want to hear what things they can do better. It is what drives them more than unbridled praise.

This response is kinda like being married to a kind & considerate super model but being afraid to point out anything that might be construed as negative because you are too afraid they might leave you.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Develop rapport with other receivers besides Singleton. Felt like a few of his picks were pre-snap decisions to throw deep to Singleton regardless of the coverage.

Accuracy. There were just random games where he struggled in a clean pocket to put the ball in a position for the receiver to catch the ball and gain yards after the catch.

But if nothing improves and we get a repeat performance of this season from him, I’d be happy with that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I have given performance reviews for nearly three decades. I have always provided areas of improvement even to my highest achievers. In fact, the best employees want to hear what things they can do better. It is what drives them more than unbridled praise.

This response is kinda like married to a kind & considerate super model but being afraid to point out anything that might be construed as negative because you are too afraid they might leave you.
But your wrong! I have been giving performance reviews for over 3 decades

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
But your wrong! I have been giving performance reviews for over 3 decades
Um, ok. You must have had some really crappy subordinates if they are are too sensitive to receive constructive criticism or feedback on areas of improvement. My inclination is that you are either really bad at evaluating which people to hire or managing them.

Regardless, I have never met a person who has no room for growth or improvement.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Um, ok. You must have had some really crappy subordinates if they are are too sensitive to receive constructive criticism or feedback on areas of improvement. My inclination is that you are either really bad at evaluating which people to hire or managing them.

Regardless, I have never a person who has no room for growth or improvement.
Love it! Even if you are right, I will always respond to you that. Your Wrong!

You like to dive into the minutia of things to debate when the debates are not even go that way. So I like to see where it goes. Its all good. :)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
@leatherneckjacket In all seriousness, I am a startup guy, not a larger corp guy. I like to start a company and grow it into a solid mid-market company. Them sell it and do it again. I don't like the management style needed or the different personality type of employees that are needed once you move into the slower paced growth of a mid-market sized company. it gets boring.

Good employees for a startup require a completely different management style than a slower growth company. I thrive on the chaos in the startup world and look for employees that love it as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Based on the amazing improvement Weinke helped him make on footwork and mechanics, I'll say do it again!

Just look at the A&M tape, then Spring Game, then regular season and the progress was noticeable. That being said, he wasn't always consistent and if that could be improved he'll break some records & it won't be close.
His coaching legend dad, John King, said he got a huge laugh when Haynes said "Wienke has been telling me to take shorter step" . He he replied , " Ive been telling u that for years"

IMO, if we get the WR better at finding open spots after initial route, we are going to take" big step" . And yea he needs to shorten his step

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think King has the capacity to be another Penix. Many of the comments above are pretty much the same ones people used to make about him and for the same reasons. Penix has a tendency to take a chance with the ball and let his WRs sort it out. With a good OL and really good receivers he has proven effective doing just that, unless put under extreme duress like he was last night. So why the difference between the two?

First, I'd say it is due to this being King's first year with Faulkner. Or, better, vice versa. Weinke had a pretty good idea of what he could do but Faulkner didn't. Now the two are, I think, more in sync. This seemed to show up in King's performance as the season went on, especially in the emergence of his running. Second, we tend to forget that King isn't the only one who is in the Faulkner-player feedback loop. The WRs are right in there and, of course, the best example is Haynes, who essentially learned his position as the season progressed. I expect the second year of symbiosis will find King improving even more.

But … you never know. More confidence in how the O works might tend to exacerbate his tendency to force throws and there is no guarantee the WRs (we lose several), the OL, and the RB situations will improve over this year. I don't expect anything until I see next year's team on the field for a few games myself.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, we are blaming qb for staring down wr too much w out taking into account the route the wr is running. Based on the call and formation and defense alignment , there is a hot route in the route tree.

Depending on whst cover guy does after snap, the hot route wr may need to adjust angle or point of cutting. KING is likely watching for this hoping for a route adjustment.
ON TV - w bad camera coverage - its very hard to see what's truly happening.

Imo, the wr, te , rb receivers need to make a major step up in getting open

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The only thing I can think of is finding his second or third target, not locking on one guy, and sometimes throwing into coverage. But what the hell do I know?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I can think of is finding his second or third target, not locking on one guy, and sometimes throwing into coverage. But what the hell do I know?
Yup as well as moving the safeties around with his eyes. Watch an NFL game and the top flight QBs move safeties around knowing doing that will uncover the guy they want to throw to. That is a big next step for King.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
His mechanics. He has issues on short throws to the flat and on wide receiver screens. This can be vastly improved . There were several missed opportunities for that (8) yard completion every game. But Haynes and Buster are quite a pair. I , along with the rest of this Board also have great admiration and appreciation for Zach Pyron. Buster will figure out more ways to create plays for Zach next year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
His mechanics. He has issues on short throws to the flat and on wide receiver screens. This can be vastly improved . There were several missed opportunities for that (8) yard completion every game. But Haynes and Buster are quite a pair. I , along with the rest of this Board also have great admiration and appreciation for Zach Pyron. Buster will figure out more ways to create plays for Zach next year.
They keep bringing Zach in to run in short yardage situations, eventually he is going to throw a td to a wide open receiver on one of those

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
#1 issue is to cut interceptions. His 15 or 16 were twice as many as are acceptable for an elite QB. Four came against Clemson who has a good defense.

#2 he could use a tall wide receiver who can win 50/50 balls. We lacked that this year.

#3 stay healthy.

#1 15 or 16; are not his fault. 6-7 were on the wr. New offense. Learning route options. He wasn’t this bad in actuality. And in year 2 that 6-7 should be 2.

#2 not sure how thats related to his dev. All qbs could use that and great OL

Accuracy in middle range throws is an area for improvement. Deep throws good. Shorts and screens. Good. Mid range can be better; and mid range often is timing and footwork….

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We have a DOG at QB. And in that dog we have one that wants to lead the pack. I bet he is his number one critic. That is a very good thing. I see a guy who will not stop working to fix any mistake he can. With that and the roster around him I see another great season. I am not concerned with our offense this year, I am just hopeful we get a defense that will put him in a good spot to showcase his talent.