Haynes Kings needs to develop _____ during the offseason take the next step as a QB?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I was curious as to what the general option is of the fan base is for King during the offseason and Spring practice to further his game and QB development for next Fall?
He had a fantastic season and is poised to continue to grow. It’s a shame that right now he is not getting the recognition in the sports media to be discussed as a top tier Heisman trophy candidate nor given the proper recognition for his accomplishments this year. It will be interesting to see if the marketing and media side of GT step it up to campaign and make a push for King to gain more recognition in regards to QB awards along with Heisman Trophy candidate campaign or of that is even in King or Key’s best interest to spot light a player and single him out for individual awards.
I guess it could be a catch 22. On one side you want future high profile recruits to see that it’s possible to be considered/recognized for being one of the best at your position. Then on the other hand you don’t want it to change the cohesive nature of the “team approach” and cater to athletes who are enamored with HUGE NIL packages and placing themselves above everyone else?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
#1 issue is to cut interceptions. His 15 or 16 were twice as many as are acceptable for an elite QB. Four came against Clemson who has a good defense.

#2 he could use a tall wide receiver who can win 50/50 balls. We lacked that this year.

#3 stay healthy.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
One of my concerns is the amount of running he does. While he has been successful, he has been pummeled more than once. His frame really isn’t built for close encounters of the linebacker type.

That being said, my favorite play of the Gasparilla bowl was at the end of the third quarter when Haynes fooled the cameraman and others to get a first down enroute to Dontae’s final touchdown.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I was curious as to what the general option is of the fan base is for King during the offseason and Spring practice to further his game and QB development for next Fall?
He had a fantastic season and is poised to continue to grow. It’s a shame that right now he is not getting the recognition in the sports media to be discussed as a top tier Heisman trophy candidate nor given the proper recognition for his accomplishments this year. It will be interesting to see if the marketing and media side of GT step it up to campaign and make a push for King to gain more recognition in regards to QB awards along with Heisman Trophy candidate campaign or of that is even in King or Key’s best interest to spot light a player and single him out for individual awards.
I guess it could be a catch 22. On one side you want future high profile recruits to see that it’s possible to be considered/recognized for being one of the best at your position. Then on the other hand you don’t want it to change the cohesive nature of the “team approach” and cater to athletes who are enamored with HUGE NIL packages and placing themselves above everyone else?
Just take what is there. That’ll cut down on the ints.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Cut down on interceptions. But some of those could also be fixed with better chemistry with receivers as someone pointed out.

I think he needs more muscle if he's going to run. I noticed he doesn't have much muscle mass up top. You see LSU's and bama's QB looking ripped. Haynes kinda looks like a normal dude.

A slightly quicker release can't hurt either

I loved what the guy did this year though

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what the S & C coaches would say is there ideal body type for QB position? Too much bulk and you probably lose touch and flexibility. Too small of frame and you are increasing the likelihood that your body will degrade over the course of a season or individual game depending on the shots you are taking. Would be interesting to have a Q & A interview with the strength coaching team to hear their philosophy on GT (Keys desires) are for particular position groups or individual players.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Based on the amazing improvement Weinke helped him make on footwork and mechanics, I'll say do it again!

Just look at the A&M tape, then Spring Game, then regular season and the progress was noticeable. That being said, he wasn't always consistent and if that could be improved he'll break some records & it won't be close.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I gotta say...I was really mad at Hasselbeck saying that our QB made a mistake on the interception. It was a phenomenal play by the db, not a bad pass.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
King has been an effective runner but he runs like a wide receiver and not a RB. He needs to finish runs like a RB to protect himself. On third downs when flushed from the pocket I want him to run for the first down and not try to keep looking for a bigger play or not run out of bounds short of the first down. But if he continues to perform overall in 2024 like 2023 I will be happy..

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there’s something to be said about the playcalling as well, not that it’s an issue, but this season we had too many throws of 15+ yards dropped when we could have just taken an easier 2-3 yard completion and given that skill player some chance for YAC.

When Buster settles into his role as a P5 coordinator (remember this was year 1) and Haynes makes some better decisions in terms of taking the easy completion, we could have an offense that doesn’t stop moving. Honestly sometimes it felt like our offense was hurting itself more than the other defense was beating us, and if these mistakes (drops or INTs) are cleaned up, our offense seems like it could move the ball at will.

FWIW, Haynes best and worst throws all came when he was trying to keep us in the game and fearlessly let it fly. I doubt he throws nearly any INTs if we stop playing from behind.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think King was looking to throw too much to the WRs and overlooked some wide open TEs on some plays. With better TEs I hope to see improvement in this area.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe just improved grasp of the O?
Haynes threw into double coverage too often at while another receiver was left uncovered, so it seems to me he needs to get better at scanning the field for the open guy. But that's the only thing this admittedly untrained eye can point to that he needs improvement on.
Maybe with a year under his belt with this offense, we'll see fewer interceptions next year. He's got what, two years to go? The sky's the limit.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
There is nothing I would change about our freak show athlete quarterback who can run like a gazelle, make people miss every time, and throw 61% for almost 3k yards. (Michael penix throws 66%)
Saying “less interceptions” feels very short sighted. He’s a risk taker that is dialing it in, which is exactly what I like. In terms of overall talent potential, I think we have a top 5 QB in college football. Now it’s just surrounding him with guys that let him prove it (we’re starting to).
I’m telling you, with everything developing around him, and himself developing, he could be in Heisman territory next season.