Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Just think about this:
This guy has 2 years left: new OC, new team around him that also is in their first year on the offense, and has already played in more games for Tech than he did at A&M.
We get him some guys back(Blackburn, Moore) and some more weapons and a running game. We give him another summer and spring to continue learning from Buster and Weinke. Our OL gets older.
I get it, he has had a couple of off games. He’s been indecisive at times. But we are ahead of schedule. And I can’t wait to see where we will be in two years if we can keep the band together

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Refresh my memory, someone. Tech got a first down but the chains forgot to move. Then they finally get the message and furiously move the chains. All the while Tech is waiting to run a play. Then the refs don’t signal ready to start the play as they check various things. All this time the play clock keeps running. Finally the ref signals ready to play with the clock clicking down from 3 seconds. The play never has a chance and Tech totally loses momentum on the drive.

What do the rules say about keeping the play clock running while refs fiddle around?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just think about this:
This guy has 2 years left: new OC, new team around him that also is in their first year on the offense, and has already played in more games for Tech than he did at A&M.
We get him some guys back(Blackburn, Moore) and some more weapons and a running game. We give him another summer and spring to continue learning from Buster and Weinke. Our OL gets older.
I get it, he has had a couple of off games. He’s been indecisive at times. But we are ahead of schedule. And I can’t wait to see where we will be in two years if we can keep the band together
Close call between the Koolaid we want and the Koolaid we deserve

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Refresh my memory, someone. Tech got a first down but the chains forgot to move. Then they finally get the message and furiously move the chains. All the while Tech is waiting to run a play. Then the refs don’t signal ready to start the play as they check various things. All this time the play clock keeps running. Finally the ref signals ready to play with the clock clicking down from 3 seconds. The play never has a chance and Tech totally loses momentum on the drive.

What do the rules say about keeping the play clock running while refs fiddle around?
I made a fuss about this play for 5 minutes in the stands because there was actually nothing we could do. After the refs finally made up there minds, BC did a substitute that took 15 seconds because their players were intentionally crawling. Had we not taken the FORCED timeout, since we couldn’t start the play with them substituting; we would have suffered a delay of game… right?? Am I missing something?? Or was I screaming in the stands for 5 min over a misunderstanding?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget the Leary drop of a 40 yard dime down the sideline and the no calls on the PI to Leary in the end zone and Rutherford on a 3rd down. Not to mention the fact that King was pretty much running for his life as soon as he got the snap every play. King did not have a great day but there are A LOT of people to blame before King. Start with the coaches that didn't see that we only had 10 defenders on the field for a critical 3rd and 1 coming out of a timeout no less. Then the following play we only had 9 on the field and had to burn a timeout only to give up a TD on the next play. Oh yeah, how about the bone head decision to pretend like we are going for it on 4th and 8 at midfield only to burn a timeout then punt. This was a very Colllins-esque game by our coaching staff. I am in no way advocating for Key to go but I honestly think his ceiling is very low. The biggest rumors for our HC job were Chadwell who is 7-0, Fritz who is about to be 6-1, and Prime who resurrected Colorado football from the dead. So glad we went to the Dollar Tree for our head coach shopping.
What about the last drive of the first half where we ran it on first down, got no yards, wasted tons of time, then actually started throwing it and moving it downfield. But it didn’t matter because we ran it on first down.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Putting so much blame on King is a bit unfair. There were two deep balls right on the money that should have been TDs. One was a no call PI and the receiver dropped the other. The guy seems to lose confidence when things don’t go his way early. He needs to learn to be resilient. If he can get past that he can be really good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I made a fuss about this play for 5 minutes in the stands because there was actually nothing we could do. After the refs finally made up there minds, BC did a substitute that took 15 seconds because their players were intentionally crawling. Had we not taken the FORCED timeout, since we couldn’t start the play with them substituting; we would have suffered a delay of game… right?? Am I missing something?? Or was I screaming in the stands for 5 min over a misunderstanding?
Yep. I’ve never seen that before. And unless I’m missing something, the play clock should have been reset once it was clear the game officials had screwed up and were not ready. It was as if Tech never got the benefit of a first down and never had a chance to read the defense or change the play at the line of scrimmage. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen with a play clock.

Like you, I want someone to tell me what I’m missing or what I don’t know about the rules. The chain gang, clock official, line judge, and head referee never were on the same page. And Tech would certainly have been penalized even though they weren’t allowed to even get into their stance with 3 seconds left on the play clock.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I’ve never seen that before. And unless I’m missing something, the play clock should have been reset once it was clear the game officials had screwed up and were not ready. It was as if Tech never got the benefit of a first down and never had a chance to read the defense or change the play at the line of scrimmage. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen with a play clock.

Like you, I want someone to tell me what I’m missing or what I don’t know about the rules. The chain gang, clock official, line judge, and head referee never were on the same page. And Tech would certainly have been penalized even though they weren’t allowed to even get into their stance with 3 seconds left on the play clock.
I didn’t see everything you mention, but my perspective in real-time was that our coaches got owned by the substitution rules.

If we run on a sub on O, the officials hold the snap until D has a chance to make a sub and match personnel. When done right on D, you can get your guys a blow between plays at worst, and you can cause the O to burn a timeout at best.

Hafley and BC were well versed in how to laboriously make their counter by running guys off the field slowly. I wish we were better at this on D.

Skywalker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
The way to get around the substitutions running down your own play clock is to just snap the ball while they are substituting. It’s not a penalty and resets the play clock.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t see everything you mention, but my perspective in real-time was that our coaches got owned by the substitution rules.

If we run on a sub on O, the officials hold the snap until D has a chance to make a sub and match personnel. When done right on D, you can get your guys a blow between plays at worst, and you can cause the O to burn a timeout at best.

Hafley and BC were well versed in how to laboriously make their counter by running guys off the field slowly. I wish we were better at this on D.
Except on this play the Tech substitute was already in the game and ready to go but the line judge and the chain gang were still arguing over whether it was a first down or not. 20 seconds ran off the clock before the chains even moved all while BC is taking almost half a minute to respond to the substitution.

Again, maybe I’m missing something but it was the only time I’ve ever seen a referee crew so confused and they did not restart the play clock. Weirdly, the game clock was stopped immediately after the play for the chains to move but the play clock ran the whole time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Except on this play the Tech substitute was already in the game and ready to go but the line judge and the chain gang were still arguing over whether it was a first down or not. 20 seconds ran off the clock before the chains even moved all while BC is taking almost half a minute to respond to the substitution.

Again, maybe I’m missing something but it was the only time I’ve ever seen a referee crew so confused and they did not restart the play clock. Weirdly, the game clock was stopped immediately after the play for the chains to move but the play clock ran the whole time.
They weren't holding the snap because of the chains. They were holding the snap due to the substitution.

There may have also been something unintentional with the clocks, but the subs are what ultimately led to the timeout. Well done by BC HC Hafley and co. Well coached team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They weren't holding the snap because of the chains. They were holding the snap due to the substitution.

There may have also been something unintentional with the clocks, but the subs are what ultimately led to the timeout. Well done by BC HC Hafley and co. Well coached team.
You and I did not see the same thing.

I’m certainly willing to be corrected but I would love to see a video replay if there is one. All I know is the play clock was running when someone indicated first down, long before the chains moved, and the chain gang looked surprised when they suddenly realized they needed to move and finally did start moving.

I’m not disputing Boston playing this well, I’m just saying their “well played” got a huge boost from all the confusion by the officials. And a good extra 20 seconds to delay substitution.

Again, I don’t mind being wrong, just that in real time I’m wondering why they started the play clock before all the officiating crew was on the same page.

Oh well, Miami was robbed of a safety in the first half with Clemson, so it was far from the worst official screw up of the day. And it certainly made no difference in the Tech game.