Haynes King: Run/Pass Mix Results

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
The nagging question in my mind is: How did we find ourselves in the position of only having one decent RB on the team whose availability makes or breaks us?

What if we were to get two or three good backs and line them all up in the backfield in various formations and motions?

Then on every play, King could read the defense and choose from 2, maybe 3 options such as handing the ball off up the middle, pitching it to a back or keeping it? Every now and then, he could throw the long 'tater.

We should look into this more.
You might be on to something with this one. I feel like this strategy could work very well, and I can't imagine many teams would prepare for an offensive scheme that adapts on the fly like that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I have noticed Ling throws rolling left are not nearly as good as rolling right. Hope he can improve that over the off season
Yep, he had a throw like this early on against UNC when he should have kept running left and would have easily picked up the first down, but instead threw it to a receiver trailing him to his right, and had the pursuing defender slowed up even slightly it would have been picked off.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have noticed Ling throws rolling left are not nearly as good as rolling right. Hope he can improve that over the off season
True of most QB… even the best.
It takes incredible arm strength to make a downfield throw on the run in the wrong direction, and it’s pretty hard to stop and turnaround and set your feet to go downfield when you’re being chased.
Designed roll outs typically go toward your throwing side. The other way is the D forcing you to do something you don’t necessarily want to do (and takes away at least half of the field).
Hopefully we also improve at keeping a pocket so HK doesn’t need to make spectacular throws scrambling left.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
You might be on to something with this one. I feel like this strategy could work very well, and I can't imagine many teams would prepare for an offensive scheme that adapts on the fly like that.
Key did say in his first presser after being named HC that he will spend 365 days per year getting ready to beat a team down the road.

To me, that’s a clear sign of secretly practicing the triple option all year for UGA. Can you imagine how much defensive coordinators would be sh$tting themselves if Big Balls Paul came out of the tunnel at BDS, right before UGA’s CFP attempt? UGA Immediately using all timeouts to try and explain assignments the linebackers. The meaning of Rivalrly would take on a new definition in cfb. They would have to pry me off the field, after storming, with a crowbar.

slugboy

Staff member
Who is the one running back who you feel makes or breaks us?

Up until Saturday night, I think this was a legit question. Now I am happy to see that we’ve had a second RB emerge (or re-emerge, as the case may be).
It’s also one game—I hope it’s a RB issue, but it could be that UNC was just a great matchup for him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The nagging question in my mind is: How did we find ourselves in the position of only having one decent RB on the team whose availability makes or breaks us?

What if we were to get two or three good backs and line them all up in the backfield in various formations and motions?

Then on every play, King could read the defense and choose from 2, maybe 3 options such as handing the ball off up the middle, pitching it to a back or keeping it? Every now and then, he could throw the long 'tater.

Hmmmmm. Seems to me like we did have such an offense and not so long agp. But maybe I'm just day-dreaming.

I couldn't agree more, however. I will say, however, that most shotgun spread teams depend on a single RB who can carry the load. The team that does the most of what you are talking about is Army. Their new "shotgun bone" (my term) depends more on the QB running then I think our coaches would like, but it does get a lot of people involved in running the ball. Hey, if it worked for Nebraska - Kearney, it can work anywhere!

I hope we also have some success running the ball against UVA. I can guarantee you they will be tryi9ng to run on us; they're actually pretty good at it. We had better get Smith untracked and hope Haynes can be successful as well. Haynes did very well against UNC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In a couple of losses, I saw a clear path to a first down running where he threw a riskier pass which went incomplete. In some of those losses, maybe we’d have won with more runs.

I don’t think he should play like a fullback, but he should take “safe” runs.

Sometimes, I think he needs more options—maybe not a keep option, but a pass option or an option with the slot.

Maybe what this shows is that when teams take away plan A, then plan B isn’t good and we lean on “run for your life”.

My eyes agree that he was not taking safe runs. Its vital that we take first downs when the give them to us.

But its also vital that we take long passes - some were bad throws and the went for incompletions but some were due to them bonking out of receiver hands (Leary).

Until the last game our red zone running was pitiful... Our defense is still pitiful.

Winning is just doing a little above pitiful.

NOW
King's brain fart throwing into coverage in the same spot over on the right side line is very much more concerning.
U see a little of the ghost of Sims. Like in the film room after the game i can here the Coach saying WTF - i have told you to just run and throw it away.

On another thread - some one noted he seems less accurate when he is moving to right.

Hope we see the ol give him a clean pocket - not just a non sack - a clean pocket that he can step up and the wr can get open.

I love your "run for your life" comment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I have wondered about is running a few run / pass option plays on a roll out. I know it’s hard to throw across your body but it would be fun if the defense had to worry about a roll out play to either side of the field.
I have noticed Ling throws rolling left are not nearly as good as rolling right. Hope he can improve that over the offseason
My eyes agree that he was not taking safe runs. Its vital that we take first downs when the give them to us.

But its also vital that we take long passes - some were bad throws and the went for incompletions but some were due to them bonking out of receiver hands (Leary).

Until the last game our red zone running was pitiful... Our defense is still pitiful.

Winning is just doing a little above pitiful.

NOW
King's brain fart throwing into coverage in the same spot over on the right side line is very much more concerning.
U see a little of the ghost of Sims. Like in the film room after the game i can here the Coach saying WTF - i have told you to just run and throw it away.

On another thread - some one noted he seems less accurate when he is moving to right.

Hope we see the ol give him a clean pocket - not just a non sack - a clean pocket that he can step up and the wr can get open.

I love your "run for your life" comment
What is truly remarkable is how few times King has been sacked vs how often he has been pressured. He has been sacked near the fewest times in Division 1 football. He appears to be pressured on the majority of our pass plays.

He rarely has a clean pocket where he can step up and throw the ball comfortably. Compare the protection he gets vs the protection our opponents QBs get is night and day different.

Staying healthy is very important. He got banged up a lot early in the UNC game and didn't flinch.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s also one game—I hope it’s a RB issue, but it could be that UNC was just a great matchup for him.
He did a great job of finishing runs, but pretty much any RB would have run for 100+ in the second half given how we blocked and UNCs effort. He had multiple 10, 15, 20 70 yards runs that were untouched with massive lanes to run through.

I still think Haynes is RB1, when healthy. He has the most speed, power, and is best receiver.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He did a great job of finishing runs, but pretty much any RB would have run for 100+ in the second half given how we blocked and UNCs effort. He had multiple 10, 15, 20 70 yards runs that were untouched with massive lanes to run through.

I still think Haynes is RB1, when healthy. He has the most speed, power, and is best receiver.
How was J Haynes a WR till just before season. When he was moved, it was partially due to talent in WR room.

He is getting better at getting THRU the hole before dancing. Assuming ol remains competent, we need to pass to him pass to him more often. Get him in space on LB and its a big gain.

ALSO - Would like to see some plays w him and H back. We have TE that never carry the ball come at H in and max protect.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How was J Haynes a WR till just before season. When he was moved, it was partially due to talent in WR room.

He is getting better at getting THRU the hole before dancing. Assuming ol remains competent, we need to pass to him pass to him more often. Get him in space on LB and its a big gain.

ALSO - Would like to see some plays w him and H back. We have TE that never carry the ball come at H in and max protect.
Tony Hollins

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

I think people figured out the triple option, but with King’s arm, adding the pass option to every play to create the QUADRUPLE OPTION is the key.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think people figured out the triple option, but with King’s arm, adding the pass option to every play to create the QUADRUPLE OPTION is the key.

We actually run a triple play as a constraint.

It its the bubble RPO off shotgun strong. Reads the RB on the dive then haynes takes 3 steps towards the line if the end comes up he throws it out to the the slot if he doesn't he runs it. Clemson ran this with lawrence to a championship.

To quote CPJ "Don't tell dabo but he's running the option."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Tony Hollins
Hollings, I think.

But, man, did Chan make the right move when he put him at RB. He was another O.J. Simpson; same size, same speed, same ability to either run hard or run fast, same explosion at the hole. If Tony hadn't gotten hurt, he would have won the Heisman, imho. he was leading the nation in ypg by a good margin when he went down.

I fondly remember the Clemson game that year. It was in the mud. Tony went out to the right and made one of those sharp cuts of his. And slipped. It would have been a TD easy otherwise. there were two Tiggers out there, but they were about 5 yards apart with no one behind them. Tony was shaking his head all the way back to the sidelines.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hollings, I think.

But, man, did Chan make the right move when he put him at RB. He was another O.J. Simpson; same size, same speed, same ability to either run hard or run fast, same explosion at the hole. If Tony hadn't gotten hurt, he would have won the Heisman, imho. he was leading the nation in ypg by a good margin when he went down.

I fondly remember the Clemson game that year. It was in the mud. Tony went out to the right and made one of those sharp cuts of his. And slipped. It would have been a TD easy otherwise. there were two Tiggers out there, but they were about 5 yards apart with no one behind them. Tony was shaking his head all the way back to the sidelines.
Best running back I ever saw at Tech and that includes some very good ones. The Simpson comparison struck me at the time due to his ability to completely reverse field on a dime. Peyton, Simpson, a few others could do that. Just gave you that feeling every time he touched the ball that if he found a little seam he would be gone. The story of how he got hurt was heartbreaking. As I recall, he was through for the day, Tech had the game in hand but the backup RB didn’t have his helmet on and had totally checked out requiring Tony to go back in for that one fateful play. I mourned that day for several years.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Hollings, I think.

He had 11 touchdowns through 4 games, or something like that. He was way ahead of anyone else in the country. Could’ve been a special year.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched a couple of Texas A&M games this year and currently watching the Ole Miss A&M game and I can’t help to think in what world is Max Johnson better than HK?? I’m so glad we got him.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched a couple of Texas A&M games this year and currently watching the Ole Miss A&M game and I can’t help to think in what world is Max Johnson better than HK?? I’m so glad we got him.
He is not. The starter was lost for the season earlier in the year. Johnson was the backup forced into the starting role due to injury.