Harvin Questionable

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Shea Underwood is the only other punter listed on the roster.
Hi bio:

upload_2017-9-22_12-9-42.png

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Next year will be the first time ever GT has someone younger than me on the roster. Time flies.
It really does. It's funny, all the places that I go for work, I am still considered the young guy (been in distribution for 9 years). I guys if we are all aging at the same rate, I am still young in comparison.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If 2 point conversion rates sit around the 50% mark and extra points are ~90%, doesn't it then make sense to go for two? You'd think teams would also get better at running those plays, just as teams would get better at defending them. When it comes down to it, it's just basically goal line stand plays...every team has a whole lot of these in their playbooks. I almost had an aneurysm last night when the Niners scored a TD to put them down 2, I had walked out of the room for a minute and when I came back they showed a replay of a blocked XP from earlier. With no rooting interest, I was yelling at the TV "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" before I realized it was just a replay. They did fail the 2 point conversion, though...
If you miss, you are always chasing the extra point. O'Leary would drive me nuts going for two, too early, and miss, and miss, and lose by three.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If you make it the other team is chasing a point. If you make one and miss one it will be a wash. I personally think with our offense we should go for 2 a lot more especially after a long drive when their guys are winded, but coach is too old school to go for it.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
If you make it the other team is chasing a point. If you make one and miss one it will be a wash. I personally think with our offense we should go for 2 a lot more especially after a long drive when their guys are winded, but coach is too old school to go for it.

CPJ has commented once, similar to what another poster said, that if you miss the conversion you are chasing the point the rest of the game.

Personally, I think the issue with going for the conversion all the time is that it does not gain enough compared to taking the point. If you consider that a point after mimics a 3rd and short scenario (or 4th and short in the case of CPJ), then your long term average is going to max out at about 55% or so even if you are awesome at it. So the best you are going to do long term per game basis is score an extra fractional point. And that 55% conversion rate isn't consistent either. We've seen games where 3rd down conversions by the offense were practically guaranteed and games where the offense couldn't buy a 3rd conversion if it paid with bitcoin. In some games you may go 4 for 5 and others go 1 for 4. In the former, you net yourself 3 extra points and in the latter you cost yourself 2 points. Is that enough to make a difference in a game? I don't knw that one can say because the game scores swing wildly. One week you win 25-24 and the next week you lose 35-21. In the first game, converting 4/5 versus 1/4 is the difference between winning and losing and in the second game, it makes no difference.

While a team may be able to score more points going for the 2 points all the time, I don't believe the net gain is sufficient enough to outweigh the added scoring volatility. I think the current strategy of taking the PAT and going for the conversion if the game situation so dictates is a prudent strategy.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has commented once, similar to what another poster said, that if you miss the conversion you are chasing the point the rest of the game.

Personally, I think the issue with going for the conversion all the time is that it does not gain enough compared to taking the point. If you consider that a point after mimics a 3rd and short scenario (or 4th and short in the case of CPJ), then your long term average is going to max out at about 55% or so even if you are awesome at it. So the best you are going to do long term per game basis is score an extra fractional point. And that 55% conversion rate isn't consistent either. We've seen games where 3rd down conversions by the offense were practically guaranteed and games where the offense couldn't buy a 3rd conversion if it paid with bitcoin. In some games you may go 4 for 5 and others go 1 for 4. In the former, you net yourself 3 extra points and in the latter you cost yourself 2 points. Is that enough to make a difference in a game? I don't knw that one can say because the game scores swing wildly. One week you win 25-24 and the next week you lose 35-21. In the first game, converting 4/5 versus 1/4 is the difference between winning and losing and in the second game, it makes no difference.

While a team may be able to score more points going for the 2 points all the time, I don't believe the net gain is sufficient enough to outweigh the added scoring volatility. I think the current strategy of taking the PAT and going for the conversion if the game situation so dictates is a prudent strategy.
Was it Oregon that used to go for it a lot?

I think that a coach should do it on a case by case basis. If like you said, if we are making every 3rd and short then go for a few.

Remember the 2008 uga game? Didn't we score three two pointers in a row? Ah, memories!

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
What are the chances we just sit Andrew Marshall for the rest of the year so we get him back next year?

Yeah that's the Big Bad Back-Burner Burning Question of the Year isn't it. With all the excitement surrounding the other Marshall we've all but forgotten arguably the biggest key veteran loss on the OL. So far so good with Will Bryan & Jake Stickler but one O-tackle gets hurt and we're paper thin there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

If you miss, you are always chasing the extra point. O'Leary would drive me nuts going for two, too early, and miss, and miss, and lose by three.

Yep, that's why Notre Dame lost @ Clemson 2 years ago. Missed 2 different 2 point attempts and lost by 2 points.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Next year will be the first time ever GT has someone younger than me on the roster. Time flies.

This is another thing that will have you pondering the passage of time and how quickly it goes by that I sincerely hope that you and other young Jacket fans get to see - when you see children of former GT players on the roster and said players graduated some years after you did. Imagine if you "got out" in 2011 and get to see Justin Thomas' kid play CB for GT in the year 2041 or so. I hope you do and I sure as heck hope we beat Uga that year. Especially in BDS because that doesn't happen very often although, as the financial analysts love to say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. Perhaps in that time frame it will be a given. Or perhaps nobody will play FB then. In which case I am glad that I am now the age that I currently am...because I don't think I want to be around to see that day.