Harrison Butker's NFL Debut

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Georgia Tech and Industrial Engineering references in these articles

Kansas City Star: Anonymous a week ago, newcomer Butker delivers game-winning kick for Chiefs
“It was awesome,” Butker said. “What a way to start: ‘Monday Night Football.’ ”

So Butker and Colquitt got the important part right … even as their disjointed response reminded just how briefly they’d worked together.

“We didn’t even have a celebration ready; it was kind of embarrassing,” Colquitt said. “I was pointing at him, like, ‘What do we do? We don’t have anything to do.’ ”

ESPN: Confident kicker Harrison Butker begins his career with a MNF winner
"I was confident because he was confident," coach Andy Reid said of Butker, who hit the game-winning field goal from 43 yards out with four seconds left on Monday night in his NFL debut. "He kind of gives you that feeling that everything is going to be OK."
As a sophomore at Georgia Tech, Butker made a 24-yard field goal to win a game against Virginia Tech as time expired. Later that season, he hit a 53-yard kick to send a game against Georgia into overtime.
"It was awesome," Butker said. "What a way to start -- Monday Night Football."

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Butker's first NFL kickoff was blasted through the end zone for a touchback. The announcers were impressed.

Man, I really miss seeing that after every TD. I really hope it doesn't bite us this year with a KR taking one to the house at the wrong time. The ACC is loaded with good KR, we don't need to allow them chances to hurt us.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Man, I really miss seeing that after every TD. I really hope it doesn't bite us this year with a KR taking one to the house at the wrong time. The ACC is loaded with good KR, we don't need to allow them chances to hurt us.

If we cannot consistently kick it in the end zone then our best chance to avoid that disaster this year is to not kick it to their stud. There are lots of other places to kick it to disrupt the return. Pooch it high or skim it on the ground away from the returner, as it disrupts the blocking timing and gets it in the hands of someone not so dangerous to return it. I personally prefer the skim kick but if the kicker can get it high enough the pooch will do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some day he will be the Mayor
What's not to like!

When he was young a kicker named " blew it " won a game against us. It made Harrison better.
Clutch.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The high pooch scares me a bit, but I haven't seen it fail really. If you can kick it to the 25 with good hang time, seems to be returned no more than 5 yards or so. Starting at the 30 isn't as good as a consistent touchback, but it's sure better than the roller coaster we've had. That said, I don't know anyone who does a regular pooch kick, so if that were the norm I'm sure some ST coach can set up a return from it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Harrison Butker is in the NFL! How great is that?
It's fantastic! I'm super happy for the guy, he was an amazing player for us and won us many games. But I'm not taking anything away from him by talking about (on a GT football board, no less) how we're going to miss him this year. In fact, seeing how much we are missing without him is just more proof of how good he was for us.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a pretty cool thing really. I didn't really think about it until today cause you never see kickers get much attention. How many place kickers does the NFL support? At least 32, but no more than 50 at the most?

I think the numbers mean it's a lot harder to win one of those jobs than a position where there's two spots on the field plus a couple backups.