Happy update for GT fans

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
we got rid of the guys we needed to get rid of before the start of last year. one way or another. from what i heard vad had one foot out the door from the get go during his last season here.

that he held us hostage and said nothing to the coach didnt make me happy. im glad he is doing well but like was said in another post... if he wasnt doing well it wouldnt bother me. he was never a jacket from my viewpoint. he was on team vad.
"Vad the Impostor"!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
None of us were with the team in 2013, so anything about a fractured locker room is speculation. I also tend to think that's a post hoc explanation for a result. If he's happy at JMU, I'm happy.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy for Vad - good kid; found a place where he could be successful and did what he needed to do. Beats the heck out of what a lot of people do which is stay in an unhealthy situation and complain about it.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Vad Lee is a QB that enjoys playing the 7 on 7 game that is much like a video game or flag football. However, a REAL football game is played with all 11 and the QB is going to get hit just as everyone does who steps foot onto the field at any position. Triple option or not.

I thought it was perplexing when he went out to Eugene, Oregon just prior to his sophomore season for the Elite 11 QB camp as opposed to staying on the Flats and tossing the rock with his teammates. Perhaps CPJ was wondering about that as well.

That tells me lots about a player and his focus on himself as opposed to his team. Now if GT ran the NCAA offense then sure, go to the 7 on 7 camp. However, that was a move that made no sense and reinforced the notion that personal stats; stars; and glory were more important than making your teammates better and establishing yourself as a LEADER.

My thought is Vad saw the writing on the wall and it spelled: JUSTIN THOMAS and that was a factor in him moving on with his skill set. Hopefully he derives all that he can from his years at James Madison. I'll leave it at that and just say I'm very happy with the QB's on the roster.

Nothing wrong with attending the Elite 11 camp. It's good press for us with potential recruits. And it lasts what, a week? Spending a week at Nike headquarters with the best QB recruits in the country doesn't sound like that much of a waste, imo. Deshaun Watson and Will Grier were both at that camp as recruits - imagine if we had a competition between them and JT.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Legal Jacket:

You're right. It was a well reasoned decision to go to the Elite 11 camp as it earned Vad a scholarship at JMU. Apparently they don't practice the dive; keep; or pitch at the camp.

That is probably why the GT Team Captain Justin Thomas hasn't gone out to Oregon.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@Legal Jacket:

You're right. It was a well reasoned decision to go to the Elite 11 camp as it earned Vad a scholarship at JMU. Apparently they don't practice the dive; keep; or pitch at the camp.

That is probably why the GT Team Captain Justin Thomas hasn't gone out to Oregon.

lol. I see merit to both sides. I think Vad's problems sprung from whatever he did the rest of that summer and his desire to assimilate to what we wanted to do. either way, seems to have worked out for both sides.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
@Legal Jacket:

You're being a little ridiculous...a week getting good coaching on throwing mechanics, while also being able to sell our program to elite QB recruits, is in no way a "waste of time" and a detriment to success here. I'd LOVE if Justin got a chance to go out to one of these camps and ball out, maybe help dispel the illusion that our QBs can't/don't throw. Maybe he'd impress the next 5 star dual threat QB with his maturity and confidence and make that kid consider coming here. We have a great program at a great school, the more exposure we get nationally can only help. You think the rest of the country sees us in the same positive light we do?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're being a little ridiculous...a week getting good coaching on throwing mechanics, while also being able to sell our program to elite QB recruits, is in no way a "waste of time" and a detriment to success here. I'd LOVE if Justin got a chance to go out to one of these camps and ball out, maybe help dispel the illusion that our QBs can't/don't throw. Maybe he'd impress the next 5 star dual threat QB with his maturity and confidence and make that kid consider coming here. We have a great program at a great school, the more exposure we get nationally can only help. You think the rest of the country sees us in the same positive light we do?

I would agree with you if it were true. Unfortunately, I think it more true that he had a week plus of our program being sold-out in Vad's mind by others, especially associated with his time with George Whitfield than that he was selling our program. There were numerous public reports of guys giving Vad a hard time because of our program. There were also several indicators that Vad's commitment to GT's system were undermined by voices he was trusting more than his head coach's. I don't think we have reason to conclude that Vad was being a positive ambassador for GT.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I would agree with you if it were true. Unfortunately, I think it more true that he had a week plus of our program being sold-out in Vad's mind by others, especially associated with his time with George Whitfield than that he was selling our program. There were numerous public reports of guys giving Vad a hard time because of our program. There were also several indicators that Vad's commitment to GT's system were undermined by voices he was trusting more than his head coach's. I don't think we have reason to conclude that Vad was being a positive ambassador for GT.
Not disagreeing with you in this specific case, as it looks like it may have had an impact in Vad leaving, but I was refuting what the other guy said. He implies that no GT QB should ever do that as it's bad for the team and I think that's BS. Let's put Justin in Vad's place a couple years ago...you really think they'd be able to talk down GT to JT? If anything, he'd open some minds with his abilities and commitment to what we do. Dude decommitted from Bama as a native born son (with middle name Bryant) to come play QB here. NOBODY is going to talk him out of something he believes in.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
None of us were with the team in 2013, so anything about a fractured locker room is speculation. I also tend to think that's a post hoc explanation for a result. If he's happy at JMU, I'm happy.

When it comes to Lee, people will make up stuff to support their side. It's not new and it won't change.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
These "Elite 11" camps are for the premise that: 7 on 7 is king. It reminds me of advertising on a highway billboard as you drive around the US. Best cherries on the planet at exit 5; or best steak in the solar system turn off at exit 11.

What sells GT and every other program is WINNING on the field. Kids will go where they want based on the school; football program; coaches; and opportunity to play early. In addition to who they followed growing up and watching them on tv or in person at a game.

What I like about CPJ and his method of recruiting is that he holds his own camps and has an opportunity to see a kid first hand. Or he trusts the judgment of a former player that led to the addition of a great player like Adam Gotsis.

If you want to have a QB go to a camp that has zero application to what the coaches instill and teach at GT then good for you. For a true GT QB to go to one of these camps sends a message to the coaching staff that I can assure you isn't well received.

But he did get a scholarship to JMU so it worked out well for him.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want to have a QB go to a camp that has zero application to what the coaches instill and teach at GT then good for you. For a true GT QB to go to one of these camps sends a message to the coaching staff that I can assure you isn't well received.

This is a pretty big stretch, imo. You are saying that working on QB fundamentals and throwing to various routes has "zero application" to being a QB at our school. That's not true. We throw the ball a good bit, even if not all of the time.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am happy for Vad finding the right fit for what he wants to get done. My take is that things weren't working out here. I appreciate he stayed true to himself and made the change that was right for everyone. It is hard to switch streams and I have respect for him taking the initiative to be happy.

That said, as a GT Fan - I think it helped us to have him move on. It ushered in the JeT era without the awkward QB competition and allowed us to focus solely on developing JeT. As far as I am concerned it was a win-win for everyone involved and am happy he is doing well and even better we have a team that is tighter and more focused than before.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Legal Jacket:

Taking snaps under center as opposed to standing back away from the LOS in the shotgun involves an entirely different set of QB mechanics. Drop back passing will never be confused with the current NCAA 7 on 7 dump passing offense.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Contrary to what some think, Vad is a talented player.
As others have said, it just wasn't a good fit. He never bought in, and I think he took a couple of hits against UNC that shook his confidence running inside. He was also an improvisation guy, and you can't go off script on option plays.
We are doing better, he is doing better. Win/win for both parties. I wish him the best.