Handshake Line

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anyone else notice the lack of class from the UNC players (most of them anyway). As soon as the game was over they ran straight for the locker room and didn't shake hands. The only people that did were the UNC coaches and 2 or 3 end of the bench players. The rest of them just bolted. I know some of you will say it was because of the court storming but if you watch the tape they actually ran to the locker room before the students ran on to the court. I took it as a total lack of class. I mean if the coaches an a couple of kids who never got to play stayed around to shake hands why not the rest of them? And it wasn't just the players on the court at the time. Most of the kids on the bench ran away as well.

I highly doubt Hubert Davis told them to run to the locker room. If so why did the couple of players stick around. Plus what kind of coach would take the time to tell them to do that while he is trying to draw up the winning play? When we beat Duke they shook hands.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think they anticipated an immediate court storming so they got off the court ASAP. I was very surprised the students were held for 30 seconds or a minute before they made it to the court. Court storming has been a huge topic in the media since Caitlin Clark got run into a couple weeks ago. Not classless at all.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they anticipated an immediate court storming so they got off the court ASAP. I was very surprised the students were held for 30 seconds or a minute before they made it to the court. Court storming has been a huge topic in the media since Caitlin Clark got run into a couple weeks ago. Not classless at all.
So why didn't all of the players on their team run off?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So why didn't all of the players on their team run off?
I don't know. Maybe a couple of them weren't afraid of dealing with the court storming. I doubt they all agreed on what everyone would do if they lost before the game. I've watched a lot of UNC this season and in recent years and I wouldn't really call any of their players classless at all, especially compared to the Green kid on Florida State who was jawing at Bacot last Saturday.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
It actually looked like they were trying to chase down the referee who didn’t give them the call they wanted so they could argue about it and then realized a court storming was about to happen. If you look closely, that referee bolted to the tunnel as soon as the buzzer sounded.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought the same thing, then I noticed the students were seemingly asked to wait to allow them to safely leave. I think it was quickly planned and well executed, probably with our help on some level.

In the OP's defense though, it definitely looked bad at first.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What bothers me is when the refs ignore my "you're an embarrassment" critique as they walk off the floor. They should at least glance at me when I am insulting them. Who do they think they are?
This post struck a cord with me. I was a season ticket holder back in 1987 when our beloved Yellow Jackets, who at the time had 3 or 4 wins (this was pre-Collins so it was noteworthy at the time) hosted the mighty Deamon Deacons who rolled into BDS with a 6 or 7 wins under their belt. Beautiful fall day, blue sky but very cold and windy. We got beat badly (33-6 per a quick Google search) and there were maybe 32k people at kickoff. I am a glutton for punishment and like to drink bourbon in BDS (one of the very few things in life I am actually good at) so I stayed deep into the 4th quarter. Long after even the players moms and girlfriends had departed I stayed. Hoping for a miracle. Head spinning too much from Rebel Yell 101 to make me afraid to even stand up and navigate the steps. Finally my wife convinced me to crawl down the steps towards the exit.

As we departed our seats , WF was threatening to score again. I stumbled (against my wife's wishes) into the seats at the back of the North end zone. There weren't 6 people left in the entire stadium who weren't on the field as a player. coach or referee. I felt like a quick pick six in this scenario would ignite the kind of epic comeback like we saw at the U this year or against FSU when we returned the blocked field goal a few years back or when the guy at Cal ran the wrong way at the Rose Bowl. Instead the WF WR got away with one of the most egregious offensive pass interferences I have ever witnessed. WF had scored their final TD with about 3 minutes left.

Nobody in the entire stadium but me cared. Refs, coaches. players and hot dog vendors just wanted to go home and get out of the cold.

I ,of course , sadly still think life should be fair and evil and/or incompetence should be confronted. So I made a stand and called out the refs...their training, their eyesight, their ethics and, dare I say, even the background and proclivities of their mothers were called into question during my umbrage. The stadium was so empty that my rant was in fact heard by everyone left in the stadium, including the patrons way down in the south stands.

But then the moment of true actualization happened and this is a true story. The two zebras in the end zone both pointed at me and laughed. I was acknowledged. My voice had in fact been heard. I emptied the little Rebel Yell left in my other flask into my souvenir cup and stumbled back up the steps. The gods must have been smiling down on me that day as I eventually found our car, our parking spot, and my wife. On the same day the game was. And without frostbite.

Yes, I slept on the couch alone that night. My need for human touch and companship unrequited but sacrificed for the greater good. But you should know I went to sleep that evening smiling my friends and knowing that I had won...because the zebras HAD acknowledged my complaint. I was not just a voice shouting into the abyss. They heard. They knew. The call DID suck and time won't change that fact. But I was acknowledged and that may be my crowning moment in my lifetime. Although I certainly don't want to come across as bragging here to be sure.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, I slept on the couch alone that night. My need for human touch and companship unrequited but sacrificed for the greater good. But you should know I went to sleep that evening smiling my friends and knowing that I had won...because the zebras HAD acknowledged my complaint. I was not just a voice shouting into the abyss. They heard. They knew. The call DID suck and time won't change that fact. But I was acknowledged and that may be my crowning moment in my lifetime. Although I certainly don't want to come across as bragging here to be sure.
Nice writing!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This post struck a cord with me. I was a season ticket holder back in 1987 when our beloved Yellow Jackets, who at the time had 3 or 4 wins (this was pre-Collins so it was noteworthy at the time) hosted the mighty Deamon Deacons who rolled into BDS with a 6 or 7 wins under their belt. Beautiful fall day, blue sky but very cold and windy. We got beat badly (33-6 per a quick Google search) and there were maybe 32k people at kickoff. I am a glutton for punishment and like to drink bourbon in BDS (one of the very few things in life I am actually good at) so I stayed deep into the 4th quarter. Long after even the players moms and girlfriends had departed I stayed. Hoping for a miracle. Head spinning too much from Rebel Yell 101 to make me afraid to even stand up and navigate the steps. Finally my wife convinced me to crawl down the steps towards the exit.

As we departed our seats , WF was threatening to score again. I stumbled (against my wife's wishes) into the seats at the back of the North end zone. There weren't 6 people left in the entire stadium who weren't on the field as a player. coach or referee. I felt like a quick pick six in this scenario would ignite the kind of epic comeback like we saw at the U this year or against FSU when we returned the blocked field goal a few years back or when the guy at Cal ran the wrong way at the Rose Bowl. Instead the WF WR got away with one of the most egregious offensive pass interferences I have ever witnessed. WF had scored their final TD with about 3 minutes left.

Nobody in the entire stadium but me cared. Refs, coaches. players and hot dog vendors just wanted to go home and get out of the cold.

I ,of course , sadly still think life should be fair and evil and/or incompetence should be confronted. So I made a stand and called out the refs...their training, their eyesight, their ethics and, dare I say, even the background and proclivities of their mothers were called into question during my umbrage. The stadium was so empty that my rant was in fact heard by everyone left in the stadium, including the patrons way down in the south stands.

But then the moment of true actualization happened and this is a true story. The two zebras in the end zone both pointed at me and laughed. I was acknowledged. My voice had in fact been heard. I emptied the little Rebel Yell left in my other flask into my souvenir cup and stumbled back up the steps. The gods must have been smiling down on me that day as I eventually found our car, our parking spot, and my wife. On the same day the game was. And without frostbite.

I’m picturing a hard bound collection of Tech folklore and stories with this effort deserving its own chapter. I’m sure you could give it a great title. It definitely has a “I’m a Tech fan and I’m somebody gawddammit” feel to it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

we were 2-9 that year. My first fall campaign. We did beat the Citadel and Indiana State.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Nice write up.
When u mentioned Rebel Yell, my head started throbbing.