Gurley is a Millionaire

ugag upped his insurance policy after he got suspended to ten million dollars if his NFL career did not work out. The thing that stinks is the univ is paying for the policy or should I say the great citizens of GA are paying for it. A school should not be in the business of paying athletes insurance policies. What if student that is majoring in some kind science degree had a terrible accident and lost the use of his hands or any other limb and was unable to work. Are they going to take care of him or her. No. Just seems wrong to me.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
ugag upped his insurance policy after he got suspended to ten million dollars if his NFL career did not work out. The thing that stinks is the univ is paying for the policy or should I say the great citizens of GA are paying for it. A school should not be in the business of paying athletes insurance policies. What if student that is majoring in some kind science degree had a terrible accident and lost the use of his hands or any other limb and was unable to work. Are they going to take care of him or her. No. Just seems wrong to me.

I would agree with you except for a couple of things:
1. The UGA athletic association paid for the policy out of its profits. It didn't come from tax money.
2. UGA has literally tens of millions of dollars of income per year based on the fact that 92,000+ people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars about 6 or 7 times per year to come sit in a stadium, eat food, drink stuff and buy memorabilia based on how this kid totes the football. Add in the TV revenue to televise the game and you can see the $$$$$'s piling up. I don't see very many people signing up to watch a kid with a science degree try to come up with a way to perform cold fusion.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
How many millions of dollars of revenue does uga football bring in?
The problem things are said like this is, how much revenue does GT football bring in? If teams start paying their players, there will be many schools that have a hard time affording another expense. There will have to be reductions in other areas, such as coaching, that will push push the dominance of the factories even higher.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
How do they determine what athletes to buy these policies for and how much each should be worth? It seems like a way for a rich school to get an advantage. Something like "We'll give every player that comes here a ten million dollar insurance policy for if they don't make it to the NFL." Something doesn't add up about this in my mind.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If you injure yourself doing a science experiment for school on school equipment you had better believe the school covers your medical care and tuition. It is my understanding the insurance policy only covers being injured due to UGA football so I think any athlete should have it, and he certainly stands to lose more than your average athlete. I'm not for paying college players, but lifelong care for injuries suffered just makes too much sense...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Gt players have had these policies too. Greg gathers did.

They are taxed and prorated. If a policy is for 5 million the player doesnt get that. They get a prorated value and the government gets near 50percent of that. Yes they get money. Its not like it reads and less than his value dropped due to a acl.

Then every athlete on campus deserves the same treatment as the "stars" get. They work just as hard and sacrifice just as much. No debating the value of the football team, I just don't think a univ should be paying students insurance policies. The players family should be responsible for that expense because in the end they either benefit or the athlete strikes it rich in the pros. Football, basketball, golf, baseball it doesn't matter what sport he or she plays. I was using a science major as an example of someone that lost the opportunity to fulfill their dreams after school, where is there insurance policy? What the football teams bring in is not relevant to life after school. That is point Im trying to make.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Then every athlete on campus deserves the same treatment as the "stars" get. They work just as hard and sacrifice just as much. No debating the value of the football team, I just don't think a univ should be paying students insurance policies. The players family should be responsible for that expense because in the end they either benefit or the athlete strikes it rich in the pros. Football, basketball, golf, baseball it doesn't matter what sport he or she plays. I was using a science major as an example of someone that lost the opportunity to fulfill their dreams after school, where is there insurance policy? What the football teams bring in is not relevant to life after school. That is point Im trying to make.

but what are they insuring against? The earned income from a professional career as a swimmer???

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
In order to obtain insurance, there must be a risk to cover.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
No insurance company is going to take on a policy for every kid on the team. I swear some of you have no comprehension how things work in the real world. The same exact thing happened at USCe where Lattimore received a considerable payout because his career was ruined after that gruesome injury.

Also as has been stated he doesn't just get a check for 10 million dollars. Half of that was if he never played again, and half was prorated to his position in the draft where he receives more based on how far down he drops. I'm pretty sure the only reason the value was increased to 10 million was as part of an agreement for him to return for their last 4 games.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The Factories have such of an unfair advantage already, would definitely make it much tougher to compete if they started paying players. Maybe have a set rate you could pay players per snap that they are on the field, then that would help out with the overloading of talent at the big time schools. A 5 star may want to come to tech and start 3 years as opposed to going to uga and play special teams for a year or two then share snaps with the next guy. Freeman and Lorenzo Carter for example. Paying per snap Freeman would earn more this year

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I am interested to know how the difference in projected draft position due to injury is calculated. That seems very subjective.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It is completely subjective. Gurly / UGA will have to bring "evidence" in the form of "expert opinion" on where he would have likely been drafted and where he eventually is drafted. Could end up in the courts potentially but I imagine there is a form of aribitration stipulated in his policy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How do they determine what athletes to buy these policies for and how much each should be worth? It seems like a way for a rich school to get an advantage. Something like "We'll give every player that comes here a ten million dollar insurance policy for if they don't make it to the NFL." Something doesn't add up about this in my mind.

Your typical player on most teams won't factor into insurance such as this. Only players that play themselves into fairly evident draft picks. Isurance companies would never cover an average player for more than beans and would charge a huge cost of insurance to cover them beans. Mostly insurance like this is reserved for elite, Heisman or 1st round projected, players.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......................... I don't see very many people signing up to watch a kid with a science degree try to come up with a way to perform cold fusion.

Gonna be waiting a long time for that.

In some ways, the Athletic Assn's buying the insurance policy is a form of payment to the college athlete. Seems like UGAg should be given the death sentence and have to forfeit all their games for the last 20 years.