Guess who said this:

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
“I don’t believe we have a player in the two-deep that they’ve recruited here over the last three years that is really significantly doing anything for us in the playing department,” said in assessing the recruiting and player development of the program and offensive line prior to his arrival. “That’s a major concern.”

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
“I don’t believe we have a player in the two-deep that they’ve recruited here over the last three years that is really significantly doing anything for us in the playing department,” said in assessing the recruiting and player development of the program and offensive line prior to his arrival. “That’s a major concern.”
It could probably be me as a tech fan, seeing how our bully ball oline has played this year

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t this exactly the behavior some of y’all wanted in 2019? Not to sugarcoat things and just “tell it like it is”? This type of stuff will ruin your reputation as a coach.
Basic honesty is a good thing. Brutal honesty should often be kept under the hat.

But "not one player"? If that were so, they wouldn't have won a single game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he loves them and cares about them? He is a football coach saying football coach things. If the players want to get their feelings hurt and leave then he’s obviously fine with it. They lose their scholly and someone who wants to play for him will take it. I’ve never seen a team have to forfeit due to lack of players so the big bad mean coach will still have his job when these current guys are gone. And those who think he lost the locker room are nuts. If anything he gained support by calling dudes out. What loses locker rooms is talking unicorns and rainbows and not being able to back it up.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he loves them and cares about them? He is a football coach saying football coach things. If the players want to get their feelings hurt and leave then he’s obviously fine with it. They lose their scholly and someone who wants to play for him will take it. I’ve never seen a team have to forfeit due to lack of players so the big bad mean coach will still have his job when these current guys are gone. And those who think he lost the locker room are nuts. If anything he gained support by calling dudes out. What loses locker rooms is talking unicorns and rainbows and not being able to back it up.
Yeah, well there's a difference between being tough and being downright ugly. No one, and I mean no one, deserves to be publicly criticized when they are doing their best.

Now, if they weren't trying that would be different.

There is ugliness on one end and there are unicorns and rainbows on the other (which we might have a bit too much of here). It isn't either/or. There's a vast area in-between.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't see where anyone said he lost the locker room, just that it's a rude and unnecessary thing to do that really serves no purpose. If you want to free up some scholarships, go have some honest conversations with the players behind closed doors. Why degrade them publicly, other than to get the media off your back for losing games? I, for one, am glad Collins doesn't handle it that way, and I think today's players appreciate that too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As some have suggested there are two extremes in how coaches handle the press. I think a good coach lands somewhere in the middle. We got a guy on the opposite end of the spectrum as this guy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree there are a hundred ways to build a program. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. Plenty of coaches say things similar including Saban. I have no issue with it and neither should his team. I don’t mind Collins opposite style as long as it provides “W”’s at some point. I’m sure there are a lot of players on Illinois who are glad they finally have a coach who isn’t afraid to lead and not just get along. In the end Bielema will be judged on “W”s and nothing else. Of course, I could also see feelings getting involved and the University turning against him at which point they’ll hire a baby sitter next.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Bronco Mendenhall I believe.
Bronco's quote was different but appropriate for this thread, and he's of course the HC of this week's foe:
“I believe we have 27 ACC-caliber football players on our roster today,” Mendenhall said via the Daily Progress.

Furthermore:
"We have 85 scholarships to give," Mendenhall said. "That means that with our [recruiting class of 2018] arriving, that we think that number [of ACC-caliber players] will jump to the mid-40s this year."

Mendenhall said by the time the 2019 recruiting class arrives, he'll have "65-ish" ACC-caliber players.

"By the time [the Class of 2020] comes, we will have 85 ACC-caliber players," Mendenhall said. "In the meantime, my job is that I relish and I'm lucky to have to show a trend upward through success and winning with the existing resources we have — through motivation, culture and innovation."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't see where anyone said he lost the locker room, just that it's a rude and unnecessary thing to do that really serves no purpose. If you want to free up some scholarships, go have some honest conversations with the players behind closed doors. Why degrade them publicly, other than to get the media off your back for losing games? I, for one, am glad Collins doesn't handle it that way, and I think today's players appreciate that too.

That was the title of the article linked above

Bret Bielema offers us a crash course in 'How to Lose your Locker Room' 101​

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As some have suggested there are two extremes in how coaches handle the press. I think a good coach lands somewhere in the middle. We got a guy on the opposite end of the spectrum as this guy.
In public. What's said behind the closed doors and in the locker room is much more important. Too many people are too worried about what CGC does or says to the public.