Guard Development

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems that one of the biggest issues with our beloved Jackets is the lack of development with the guards/wings. We have seem notable improvement with big men under Reveno, including Lammers, Gueye, and Banks, but our guards seem to all be regressing instead of progressing. Worse shooting percentages, less assists, etc.

My assumption is that this is directly related to the assistant coaches, but of course, i have no proof. Is it untimely injuries? Coincidence?

Deleted member 2897

It seems that one of the biggest issues with our beloved Jackets is the lack of development with the guards/wings. We have seem notable improvement with big men under Reveno, including Lammers, Gueye, and Banks, but our guards seem to all be regressing instead of progressing. Worse shooting percentages, less assists, etc.

My assumption is that this is directly related to the assistant coaches, but of course, i have no proof. Is it untimely injuries? Coincidence?

I would say TBD. Alvarado definitely improved but missed a lot of the end of last season due to injuries. He's had the flu this year and had a couple different injuries. A shooting slump is a shooting slump. Devoe is coming along nicely. I have no idea what Alston's personal issue was, and I believe had the flu recently too. Haywood is just as good a defender as he's ever been, and also missed a lot of last season due to injuries (and is reported to have had the flu late last year). A shooting slump is a shooting slump. That's really been the issue with Haywood and Alvarado and nothing else that I can see. I'm not sure I'd blame the slump on coaching. Not sure why all the injuries and sicknesses.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point I don't think you can just call it a "shooting slump" anymore, we're way past that stage for both guys. It's got to be a mental thing at this point (especially for Curt, I'm hoping it's an injury more than anything for Jose). Hopefully they can turn it around next year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We miss a lot of close shots at the rim without getting to the foul line. Fall away jumpers and hooks dont get the other team in foul trouble. Does anyone ever foul out agains us?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
We miss a lot of close shots at the rim without getting to the foul line. Fall away jumpers and hooks dont get the other team in foul trouble. Does anyone ever foul out agains us?

GT's foul rate while on offense is 5th out of the 15 ACC teams in conference games so it is not a team-wide issue. Banks could benefit from actively seeking contact more though. I agree with that. He is a decent FT shooter for a big man and has a lousy touch near the basket.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't look like Wright, Cole, Ogbonda improved at all. They havent added any muscle or post skills.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's be brutally honest. This is one of the worst shooting teams in the history of Ga Tech. I'll say something nice - they play good defense and they try to distribute the ball. However they cannot shoot and I don't believe any amount of coaching would help it. It is the #1 problem for this team. Some guys can shoot - Dennis Scott, Mark Price, Marvin Lewis, Elder - I don't believe colleges coaches taught them how to shoot - they just could.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn't look like Wright, Cole, Ogbonda improved at all. They havent added any muscle or post skills.
Cole and Wright both have improved from last year - I assume that credit goes to Coach Reveno.
However, neither is yet to the stage that they are ACC calliber starters - Wright is better on defensive end, Cole a lot more advanced on offensive end.

My concern is not that they have not improved since being here - it is where I am see their ceiling at. Neither was a high 3* recruit - and Wright was a roll the dice (raw but gifted athlete - could he develop or not?) ... so neither being ACC calliber starter is not surprising (I know CJP has said he did not expect much from them until their Junior year).

Cole could become a solid starter - to me I think of Skara from Clemson .. not a great scorer but you have to guard him and can not leave him wide open from the 3, not super athletic (may struggle against more athletic players), does screen out and go to the boards, However as of now (not knowing who we may get in the spring that can play the 4), I see Moore/Sjouland getting more minutes than Cole next year.

Wright, when under control on offense - is threat on the boards and driving the baseline ... still makes way too many bad decisions (which either I see significant improvement by early next year or I think we never will) which lead to turnovers, and while his shot is better - I'd rather see AD hoist a 3 than Wright (teams are daring him to shoot from three) ... no problem if he does late in the shot clock, but otherwise he should not shoot outside 15 feet. He has played some '5' this year (for couple minutes to spell Banks) - that could be his role next year if no proven big is signed.

I think Ogbanda is what he will be at this point ... emergency big .... not ACC starter, at best sub for a few minutes .... which is concern that regardless of if he stays another year or not, we don't really have anyone I see that can back up Banks next year (I expect this to be addressed in spring signing ..maybe a grad transfer). He got enough minutes early that we know what we have in him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
At this point I don't think you can just call it a "shooting slump" anymore, we're way past that stage for both guys. It's got to be a mental thing at this point (especially for Curt, I'm hoping it's an injury more than anything for Jose). Hopefully they can turn it around next year.
When are you going to change your avatar? It's one of the most disturbing pictures and may be a jinx to the whole program.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
How about Chris Bosh? He’d make a nice avatar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tenor.gif