GTWBB, 9-2...now the 18 ACC games forthcoming(posting here)...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Has anyone heard anything recently on the status of the lawsuits?
No, I don’t think it’s been settled or dismissed.

@gtpi ; I thought CMJ did a credible job, up until the turmoil. She was always positive with me. At times too much on her mind. Would forget who Richard was.
I became friends with three of her coaches. Still have them in my contact numbers.
Once TStan selected Nell, I felt at ease. Mr. Musterer always spoke well of her prior.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The lawsuit requests a trial by jury and a judgement that the institution and individuals engaged in unlawful discrimination based on sex and retaliation and breach of contract. Joseph is seeking damages, including punitive, interest and attorney fees. It was filed on July 23, 2019 in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atl. Division. It follows similar charges made at the time of her firing March 26.

What I find particularly interesting is if the Plaintiff has prof of this allegation:
After Joseph told Stansbury and Rountree that other coaches of women’s teams felt similarly, the complaint asserted that “Defendant Stansbury reacted strongly, snapping at Joseph, ‘Maybe they (the female coaches) all need to be fired!’ or words to that effect.”

I’m really not sure what the MBB marketing budget is, but pretty sure that WBB didn’t get much allocated. She could have a Title 9 case with those differences.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
She could have a Title 9 case with those differences.

If I understand Title IX, the coaches are contract employees of the athletic association and are not covered under that law. As long as the financial assistance for women in basketball is the same as the financial assistance for men, and the same number of men and women are getting financial assistance, there is no Title IX violation. But, in any case, Joseph cannot sue based on Title IX. The penalties, if the Office of Civil Rights determines the school is out of compliance is loss of federal funds. I do not think an individual can collect damages for Title IX cases.

Her complaint has to have been based on something other than "GT is not spending the same money on women's basketball as it is on the men." The teams are the property of the athletic association, not the coaches or the players. Her contract provisions are whatever they are and the school has to abide by the contract or she can file civil claims to recover damages. I do not think the GTAA can be sued because she and Stansbury had an argument. I am certain there were termination clauses in her contract and GTAA has to honor the terms of those clauses. The attorneys who represent the GTAA are not stupid, so I presume those terms were honored.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@orientalnc said: Her complaint has to have been based on something other than "GT is not spending the same money on women's basketball as it is on the men."
——————————————————————————————————————-
I believe you are wrong on that. Her Attorney did put those allegations in the lawsuit. The locker room areas and the spending in comparison of the Men. Go back and read it, those things were included. Also, Title IX can extend to WBB Coaches or Staff.

In any “case” with the pun intended, you are in charge of updating us. I checked the Federal Civil Docket for you, and that was enough of my time wasted this afternoon.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
GTWBB with 9 votes this week in the Coaches Poll.
The last time we received any votes or were ranked in this Poll was 2010-11.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaw/polls/coaches-poll/

We received 3 votes in the Coaches Poll week 9 this year according to ESPN: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/week/9/year/2020/seasontype/2

The reason I recall that is because we beat Miami, who was #23 in the AP poll, but only receiving votes in the Coaches Poll. Then lost to Wake on the road. I thought we'd at least get recognized for beating a ranked (or receiving votes) team, but the next week we weren't receiving votes in either poll. Miami went from ranked to receiving votes in the AP, while they didn't receive any votes in the Coaches. Again, we received votes in neither. My initial thought when checking the rankings that week was that this is a pretty f'd up way to judge college basketball teams...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thanks for noticing that. I never looked at the Coaches Poll until this week. It still was years in between. According to Wikipedia.
Good catch.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Another correction. When I typed 2010-11, I should have stated the 2011-12 season that GTWBB got votes and were also ranked in the Coaches Poll.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT had a 10 point lead, although Syracuse came back to close out the 1st quarter down by 5.
Tech 16-11 after 1.
Cubaj with 4 pts. Pan, Fletcher with 3 pts. each.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
From what I've heard from the WREK broadcast, Tech didn't even get to shoot in the Carrier Dome before the game due to construction they're doing to build a new dome. And because of the current dome's characteristics, it's about 90 degrees in the dome to help melt the snow on the roof to prevent the dome from collapsing. How is a road team supposed to compete well when you don't get to shoot before the game and you're playing in a dome that's set to 90 degrees? Unless I heard wrong...