#GTvsDUKE Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I can see this. However, Duke outplayed us for most of the game and we won on a Hail Mary. Yes, that was a "play when it mattered", but it was, let's face it, sheer unadulterated luck. My guess is that Sims didn't think the ball would be caught when he threw it. But it was and that's what counts.

I agree that this game could be a big confidence boost. However, I think that would come from the team beginning to think that their luck is in, rather then that they won because they outplayed Duke. Believing in your luck is one of the things that contributes to good seasons, as Dodd and every other coach who knows his business will freely admit.
takethepoints: "Hail Mary" "Sheer unadulterated luck"

Adonicas Sanders: "I got the playcall from the playcaller on the sideline. I saw what defense that Duke was in. And just knew for a fact that ball was coming to me because that was the look we saw all week in practice. So I just made a play on the ball when it came my way."

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
sims has some fault - too many TOs and an arm angle that makes short throws over the middle problematic. But his greatest strength is he is a playmaker and against Duke he made plays despite a bad OL. You can call that luck but I think it is the emergence of the playmaker we are investing all this early playing time in

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
we won on a Hail Mary. Yes, that was a "play when it mattered", but it was, let's face it, sheer unadulterated luck.
Sheer unadulterated luck would be if the pass hit a bird on its way out of the end zone and dropped into Adonicas Sanders' hands after the defender slipped on a banana peel.

Instead, it was a perfect pass which Adonicas caught fighting through holding and interference. It was a clutch play all the way.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Alternatively, we went on the road, did not play our best game, lacked key players due to injury, and still won.

We have a lot to improve on, but good teams win bad games, and we did.
And that, of course, was what I said in the first place. And I'd be real careful over the use of the word "good" about this year's outfit this early in the season.

I still think we can win 6, btw.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
hello friends - I wasn't able to watch much of your game. just the 4th quarter. I saw a stat pull up that you were 4/12 on 3rd down for the day (ended at 4/13). 2/11 against us. that stat seems a serious problem. 6/23 in two consecutive games sounds like the recipe for two losses.

probably a bit of an ugly win but to fight back hard to get a win on the road is a good thing. hopefully can build on that to beat UVA. UGA is the only team on your schedule where a win is pretty doubtful.

I really like Gibbs as a player. it seems as if he could be a star if you used him a little better. like I said in another thread, I like him better in space.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Sheer unadulterated luck would be if the pass hit a bird on its way out of the end zone and dropped into Adonicas Sanders' hands after the defender slipped on a banana peel.

Instead, it was a perfect pass which Adonicas caught fighting through holding and interference. It was a clutch play all the way.
Actually, the usual extracurricular activities went on as the two went down field. None of that is ever called these days, unless the WR gets tackled or grabbed. When the ball got there Sanders, to his credit, had fought clear, but if the DB had turned around, he'd have been able to bat the ball down.

The whole sequence reminded me of the miracle catch in the 2017 Miami game, thought the shoe was on the other foot in that one. Luck plays more of a role in football then we usually like to think.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
takethepoints: "Hail Mary" "Sheer unadulterated luck"

Adonicas Sanders: "I got the playcall from the playcaller on the sideline. I saw what defense that Duke was in. And just knew for a fact that ball was coming to me because that was the look we saw all week in practice. So I just made a play on the ball when it came my way."

I'm sure the original Hail Mary was a called play; that's why there were so many BC WRs in the same place in the end zone. Doesn't change the luck involved in completing the pass one bit. See:

I'm surprised that so many people here think having a bit of luck to win a game is in some way insulting to Tech since we won the game. Get used to the role of luck in football; I have. And getting some of it doesn't say one bit about the skills of the players and the play calling. Sometimes you need luck to win. Period.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
True regarding the 28 point threshold. But we just played down to Duke. Agree
It shouldn't have been close. Agree
And yes the turnovers are on the coaches. huh? They were both FORCED turnovers. Agree. Sims tried to force the ball and shouldn't have. I'd say that's a "young" mistake
4 of 13 on 3rd down, not ideal???? Agree That will get you beat most of the time. Agree

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let me spend half of my Saturday watching this putrid Georgia Tech/Duke game on an illegal website that’s not even HD on my laptop because I’m NOT a Georgia Tech fan. Makes total sense.
I think all of us are GT fans. I just think some are better fans and some are less better fans. I think all (well, probably almost all) want GT to be successful and the best GT we can be. Some are more willing to be openly critical than others. I think criticizing underclassmen is lousy and is reflective of a less better fan, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: I'm not commenting on whatever you wrote to get the response that you were not a GT fan. I have no idea what the other font was referring to. I just chose your post as a platform to respond about the various types of GT fans on this board.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who ever is the QB coach is the fault for a lot of his interceptions. locking on to receivers, forcing throws, not to mention his release that causes a lot of batted balls. Thats coaching.
I think that's a "yes and no" thing. We don't know how much has been taught and how much hasn't. Part of locking onto receivers and forcing throws is experience. Release and mechanics are for sure a coachable thing. But, different coaches have different opinions when it comes to mechanics. Phillip Rivers had a damn good career slinging the ball side-armed.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think all of us are GT fans. I just think some are better fans and some are less better fans. I think all (well, probably almost all) want GT to be successful and the best GT we can be. Some are more willing to be openly critical than others. I think criticizing underclassmen is lousy and is reflective of a less better fan, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: I'm not commenting on whatever you wrote to get the response that you were not a GT fan. I have no idea what the other font was referring to. I just chose your post as a platform to respond about the various types of GT fans on this board.

I know you said you aren’t directing this directly at me, but I will say that I 100% agree that criticism towards specific players is not right. These are kids. I think it’s fine saying you think someone else should start, but there’s a fine line in saying that and I actually agree that some of the comments regarding the Sims/Yates stuff in particular are bordering that line a little close.

However, I don’t think there is anything wrong with criticizing the staff about decisions. They are paid a lot of money to make those decisions and a lot of us contribute money towards this program and therefore towards their paychecks.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
You make your own luck. Whatever BS you're saying can be played both ways. Should have beaten Duke, should have beaten UNC. We stomped the majority of the conference and thoroughly outplayed ugag. Came within a whisker of beating playoff bound FSU and would have ran Miss State out of the stadium whether they were with or without CGC that night.
As I said it was the best GT team in 2 decades more just saying even the best GT teams have ugly wins and need luck to be on their side some games. GT didn't do anything to get that pitch call overturned VS GSU was the point about that game

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
hello friends - I wasn't able to watch much of your game. just the 4th quarter. I saw a stat pull up that you were 4/12 on 3rd down for the day (ended at 4/13). 2/11 against us. that stat seems a serious problem. 6/23 in two consecutive games sounds like the recipe for two losses.

probably a bit of an ugly win but to fight back hard to get a win on the road is a good thing. hopefully can build on that to beat UVA. UGA is the only team on your schedule where a win is pretty doubtful.

I really like Gibbs as a player. it seems as if he could be a star if you used him a little better. like I said in another thread, I like him better in space.
Our third down offense and defense are the most troubling aspects of the team imo.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
As I said it was the best GT team in 2 decades more just saying even the best GT teams have ugly wins and need luck to be on their side some games. GT didn't do anything to get that pitch call overturned VS GSU was the point about that game

Wasn't an overturn. Was a confirm. Call on teh field was a fumble. Upshaw ironically was an interestign QB for southern in that he was favored by the coaches ( a transfer brought in to play QB) but never could quite beat out Ellison because he was turnover prone. Eventually they jus tplayed both. Usually having Ellison control the clock and get up a few scores then used upshaw for explosive plays to steamroll.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure the original Hail Mary was a called play; that's why there were so many BC WRs in the same place in the end zone. Doesn't change the luck involved in completing the pass one bit. See:

I'm surprised that so many people here think having a bit of luck to win a game is in some way insulting to Tech since we won the game. Get used to the role of luck in football; I have. And getting some of it doesn't say one bit about the skills of the players and the play calling. Sometimes you need luck to win. Period.

Well, most people consider a Hail Mary to be a desperation last second shot without other options....4th down, last chance heave with no time left for another play, more than three down or out of FG try range. None of those conditions apply here. Not 4th down, almost a minute on the clock, we were very close to being in field goal range and only down by 3. On Hail Mary, EVERYBODY knows you're going to the EZ, because it's your only chance, only option (hint: usually see 3 or 4 catchers and 3 or 4 defenders all bundled together in the end zone on a HM play) Call it luck all you want subjectively, nobody really knows, I don't think luck had anything to do with it, but our last TD absolutely, definitely, objectively, not a Hail Mary.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Luck? It was a 1 on 1 matchup that we were prepared for and Sanders knew he the ball was coming his way. It wasn't anything close to throw it into a crowd of people and hope one of our guys catches it.